PDA

View Full Version : Booting signed versions of Linux on Windows 8 machines

DBelton
28th December 2012, 03:55 AM
Saw this posted by Matthew Garrett and thought I would post it here hoping maybe it could help someone with their issues.

Some people have complained that they can't install Linux on new machines because their firmware won't let them choose a boot device. This is part of Windows 8's fast boot support - the keyboard may not be initialised until after the OS has started. To deal with this, insert the install media and reboot your computer. Wait for Windows 8 to start. While holding down shift, click on the power icon and click on restart. When the menu appears, click "Use a device" and then click your install media. If it's listed more than once, choose the one that says "UEFI" in front of it. Your system will now restart and boot off the install media.

Dan
28th December 2012, 04:01 AM
Methinks I really, really do deeply dislike Microsoft®! <..:mad:..>

smr54
28th December 2012, 04:06 AM
Yeah, if Linux desktop wasn't such a tiny niche, they probably wouldn't have gotten away with it.

Demz3
28th December 2012, 04:21 AM
think i'll do my best to stay away from windows8 an buying a New system with 8 on it

smr54
28th December 2012, 04:24 AM
I should add to what I said--that by niche, I mean, whatever the percentage is, unless Linux users really united in massive write in campaigns to manufacturers, said manufacturers will be more concerned about having that Windows 8 compliant sticker.

I do think that avalanches of mail, especially snail mail, might make at least some manufacturers consider making the process somewhat less obscure.

Another hope is that more things happen such as what happened to a friend, who had a Gateway, where apparently, the only way to get into the BIOS (in this case to run clonezilla, to image the drive) was to first boot into the Windows OS.

It's always been cheapest and most convenient, especially with laptops, to buy one with Windows and then wipe it--of course, many people just dualboot. I'm not sure what will happen, especially in parts of Asia, where it seems (or seemed--shucks, I haven't been there in many years), that it was much more common for stores to sell laptops without an O/S.

stevea
28th December 2012, 09:01 AM
FWIW Matthew Garrett no longer works for RedHat (as of EO-November. and is no longer working on secure boot AFAIK.

Demz3
28th December 2012, 10:16 AM
FWIW Matthew Garrett no longer works for RedHat (as of EO-November. and is no longer working on secure boot AFAIK.

i think he does still work on SB but in his own free time