PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Kde nightly 700mb vs 2gb

Hewjr100
21st December 2012, 08:30 PM
What is the difference between the two besides software...or is that all it is.

Henry

nonamedotc
21st December 2012, 10:36 PM
Looking at the kickstart files provided for each build, it looks like the only differences are in the packages. I am not sure, however, this is a perfect comparison. Below is the combination of the two files resulting in a "patch" converting the livecd image to 2GB image.

--- /home/mukundan/Downloads/trash/temp3/fedora-livecd-kde-2d2967a.ks
+++ /home/mukundan/Downloads/trash/temp3/fedora-live-kde-2d2967a.ks
@@ -19,6 +19,7 @@
services --disabled="network,sshd" --enabled="NetworkManager"
# Disk partitioning information
part / --fstype="ext4" --size=3072
+part / --size=8192

%post
# FIXME: it'd be better to get this installed from a package
@@ -399,6 +400,7 @@
@dial-up
@fonts
@hardware-support
+@input-methods
@kde-apps
@kde-desktop
@kde-media
@@ -407,42 +409,50 @@
@printing
@standard
anaconda
-calligra-sheets
-calligra-stage
-calligra-words
+blinken
+calligra
+calligra-l10n-*
+cantor
+cantor-R
fpaste
fuse
k3b
-kdegames-minimal
+kalgebra
+kalzium
+kanagram
+kbruch
+kde-l10n-*
+kde-wallpapers
kernel
+kgeography
+khangman
+kig
+kiten
+klettres
+kmplot
+krusader
+kstars
+ktouch
+kturtle
+kwordquiz
liveusb-creator
+marble
+maxima
memtest86+
+octave
+parley
+rocs
+step
system-config-printer-kde
-wqy-microhei-fonts
yum-presto
--@input-methods
-autofs
--calligra
--cjkuni-uming-fonts
-coolkey
-desktop-backgrounds-basic
--digikam
--gnome-disk-utility
-hpijs
-hplip
--ibus*
--iok
-isdn4k-utils
--kdeaccessibility*
--kdeartwork-screensavers
--kdegames
--kipi-plugins
--m17n*
--make
-mpage
--nhn-nanum-gothic-fonts
-numactl
--paratype-pt-sans-fonts
-ql2100-firmware
-ql2200-firmware
-ql23xx-firmware
@@ -450,13 +460,9 @@
-ql2500-firmware
-samba-client
-sane-backends
--scim*
--scribus
-sox
-system-config-printer
--vlgothic-fonts
-wget
--wqy-zenhei-fonts
-xsane
-xsane-gimp

livecd is the 700 MB build while live is 2 GB build. Does this answer your question?

Hewjr100
21st December 2012, 11:02 PM
I see, thanks for your reply. Reason I asked is that only gnome seems to have a netinstall iso. I prefer to install with it to get all update packages, and I believe gnome dvd works the same way, because after I intsall dvd there are no updates pending. Apparently this is not so for the kde spin, and after installing there are a large number of updates.

Henry

AdamW
22nd December 2012, 12:54 AM
eh? the netinst.iso is not specific to any desktop.

Hewjr100
22nd December 2012, 01:00 AM
I am an average linux user, as far as I knew from fedora 17 the defualt options were to install desktop with install pacakges and updates with the option to also check updates-testing. Honestly I can say I never saw an option to select a different desktop, I just went with the default...is it diferrent with fedora 18?

Henry

Ps I have always used gui to install, perhaps you are referring to a minimal install and using cli...that is far beyond my abilities. I am a retired army airborne grunt over fifty...I seem to get a dose of ptsd at the cli.

nonamedotc
22nd December 2012, 03:13 PM
I am an average linux user, as far as I knew from fedora 17 the defualt options were to install desktop with install pacakges and updates with the option to also check updates-testing. Honestly I can say I never saw an option to select a different desktop, I just went with the default...is it diferrent with fedora 18?

Henry

Ps I have always used gui to install, perhaps you are referring to a minimal install and using cli...that is far beyond my abilities. I am a retired army airborne grunt over fifty...I seem to get a dose of ptsd at the cli.

No. There are three "broad types" of images that can be downloaded to install Fedora.

1. netinstall iso - approx 300 MB in size. contains packages to get anaconda (the graphical installer) up and running with some hardware support like drivers for network adapters, etc. This downloads ALL packages for installation from the mirrors. If you install using netinstall, you would get a fully updated system every single time you install.

2. Live images (CD) - approx. 700 MB. This is desktop specific. If you want to try KDE before installation, you would have to download KDE-live CD. It would not be possible to install GNOME using GUI anaconda using a KDE live CD (for example).

3. DVD images - approx 4 GB. this contains tons of packages. It is possible to just install the packages on the DVD and choose any desktop environment of choice (it was possible to install more than 1 DE till F17) ...

Hope that clears up some confusion ... I suspect you are referring to live images through out ..

Hewjr100
22nd December 2012, 03:50 PM
Sounds god to me.

Henry