PDA

View Full Version : How do I select the boot partition in F18?

bjrosen
21st December 2012, 03:50 PM
Where is the option for selecting the boot partition in Fedora 18? All my systems are multiboot, I have a primary OS (usually Scientific Linux 6) that uses the MBR and then I chainload to the other Linuxes. The old installer had an option to boot from the root partition or from the MBR, I don't see where that option is in F18. There does seem to be a way to select a boot disk but that's not the same as selecting the root partition.

bob
21st December 2012, 03:56 PM
moved to F18 Development

DBelton
21st December 2012, 04:01 PM
On the screen where you select the disks that you want to install to, after you click on the disk you want to install to, look down in the bottom left corner, there is a little link down there labelled something like "Full disk summary and options" that you can't hardly see. click that, and you should be able to select where you want the bootloader installed.

But, anaconda in F18 doesn't really have a way to tell it you want to install the bootloader into a partition at the moment. You can either not install it, or install it into the boot sector of a drive.

bjrosen
21st December 2012, 04:07 PM
The only option is to select a disk not a partition. That's a show stopper if you have more than one root partition on a drive (I generally have a couple on each drive). Assuming that there is no fix available yet, what's the grub.conf syntax to chainload to the MBR on a different drive?

DBelton
21st December 2012, 04:30 PM
There have been discussions about this, and I believe the developers have agreed there needs to be a way to put the bootloader in a partition instead of the boot sector, but I believe they were talking about making it a kernel option when you start anaconda. Not sure of the status on this, though.

AdamW
22nd December 2012, 12:44 AM
No, in the end, that wasn't what happened.

You can't install to a partition, but you can choose not to install a bootloader at all. On the screen you mentioned in comment #3, this is an option (in recent builds).

See https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=872826 for discussion and details.

chrismurphy
24th December 2012, 01:19 AM
It'd be useful if there are some additional eyes on my proposal for release notes on this issue:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=872826#c36