View Full Version : All personnel. Now hear this!

11th December 2012, 03:53 AM
[Insert an ear splitting blast here from a slightly off-tune bosun's pipe.]

It is with mixed feelings that I make the following announcements.

First, the bad news. Sadly, we have retired another administrator. Due to events both in meatspace and the cyber-world, Stoat has moved on to bigger challenges and new adventures in his life. He will be sorely missed among the staff. He always struck me as the kind of a guy that covers his bets, pays his debts, and refuses to give any job he takes on anything less than his best efforts. So it was with his service to this forum and this community. So I'm sure he will in his future endeavors.

Good luck, Stoat, and even though it may prove to be a demotion of sorts, know that there is always a chair at the table for you here, should events bring you back into this crazy little corner of the web.

On to better news.

It is a bit of a tradition among the staff to reward consistent and useful service with a duly earned promotion from the slightly insane world of the Community Manager, into the truly twisted realm of the forum Administrator. We have chosen our next victim. Pray for DBelton. He will certainly need all the help he can get.

That is all.

[Insert another ear splitting blast from a slightly off-tune bosun's pipe.]

11th December 2012, 04:01 AM
Congrats & Thanks to both. No matter if stepping up or stepping down, we all appreciate your efforts on the Forum.

11th December 2012, 04:05 AM
I just hope you will still respect me in the morning :p

11th December 2012, 04:08 AM
OMG, we'll be lost.
Thank you stoat for all your (educational) posts.
And please DBelton, dont ban me :D

Good luck, to both of you!

11th December 2012, 04:15 AM
You needn't worry about that. I don't want to ban anybody.

And I agree, stoat will be missed around here. He did quite a lot, both in the forums and behind the scenes to keep things running smoothly.

What was that bob was saying about changing the forum colors to red/green for the holidays?... Maybe I need to go check out how to do that.. :lol:

11th December 2012, 04:17 AM
have fun Dbelton, i hated the job after awhile of beng a CM

goodluck to stoat

11th December 2012, 04:25 AM
Congrats DBelton! :)

11th December 2012, 04:41 AM
Demz, I have found out in the short while I was a CM that it really wasn't much extra over what I had been doing for a long time as just a regular user. (creating havoc with rants :p ) As far as going through the threads, I was pretty much doing that anyway, and it was just a few minutes here and there to do the little extra to move threads, close/delete, etc...

For the most part the users here are really a great bunch and follow the rules without even a warning, only occasionally needing a slight nudge in the proper direction. It is the users that make this forum a great place.

<... stumbles off looking for the setting to invert the forums screens.... :p >

11th December 2012, 04:52 AM
Congratulations DBelton! And best wishes on your future paths stoat.

Much of what you all do is magic to me :)

And I am grateful for the hard work you put in, making a great forum to explore and learn Linux.

11th December 2012, 04:53 AM
Careful.. I said I didn't want to ban anybody, not that I wouldn't if I had to :(

You have just broken 2 rules :(

1: Post only in English
2: don't double post.

I will delete these posts but do it again, and you could find yourself banned :(

11th December 2012, 05:30 AM
Congrats Dbelton!

Certainly will miss stoat.
I hope he will be back sometime.

11th December 2012, 06:01 AM
Thanks and Good Luck!, Stoat.

And Good Luck also to DBelton - I see someone has just signed up with the username "suspendme". Unless that's some BDSM reference (not my thing), it looks like you have your work cut out for you.

11th December 2012, 06:48 AM
Congrats & Thanks to both. No matter if stepping up or stepping down, we all appreciate your efforts on the Forum.

+1 for this.

Cheers for all your hard work stoat and congrats to DBelton :D

11th December 2012, 09:15 AM
Welcome DBelton. As an Administrator, no matter what you do, don't press the red button. :blink:

11th December 2012, 09:24 AM
what does the red button do?

will you be putting on New CM's? i so want my old job back :rolleyes:

11th December 2012, 04:28 PM
Welcome DBelton. As an Administrator, no matter what you do, don't press the red button. :blink:

The red button? :blink:

11th December 2012, 06:21 PM
Best wishes to Stoat, may good fortune follow you.

Congratulations DBelton on being promoted to a bureaucrat... ah not sure that came out right.

Thanks to both for the generous and helpful posts.

William Haller
11th December 2012, 07:25 PM
Funny true story about red buttons. We designed a system for a customer that required an infamous red button to shut down operations in an emergency. An unsupervised child who shouldn't have been in the control room pushed the red button. Needless to say, they were mad at us when a radio broadcast from the master immediately shut down operations. Watch out for those red buttons. They just might do what they're supposed to do if you press them.

11th December 2012, 08:08 PM
Just like the "big red button" on the old IBM system 360. It was a pull knob, but if ever pulled, required an IBM CE to come out and reset things, plus it could do some damage itself since it did an immediate power down of everything.

Sooooooo... Companies got quite bent out of shape if someone pulled one since their system was down for the count until IBM showed up.

And as you say.. Red seems to attract a kids fingers like a magnet :D

18th December 2012, 04:41 AM
Some red buttons are a good thing. :D
Now if only it were real...:dis: