PDA

View Full Version : cinnamon installation from F18 netinstall iso - package differences

nonamedotc
30th November 2012, 03:09 PM
I have been installing F18 using netinstall isos at different stages just for testing purposes. In some of these installation I selected cinnamon desktop for installation. One of the things I noticed was that although the cinnamon version was generally the same (excluding the most recent update), the set of packages installed were slightly different.

One prominent example is this - Initially, say a month ago, choosing cinnamon desktop installed xnoise as the sole multimedia application. Of late, including my most recent installation a week ago, xnoise has been replaced by totem. There are also other specific examples but since I did not note them down, I am unable to add them here. Furthermore, choosing Cinnamon desktop used to install less than 1000 packages (I think it was 971). Now, it is installing more than 1000.

My question is - Are these differences due to changes in Cinnamon group (xnoise to totem sounds to me to be a change in cinnamon) or has this got something to do with anaconda/yum dependency resolution?

Yellowman
30th November 2012, 04:11 PM
I have been installing F18 using netinstall isos at different stages just for testing purposes. In some of these installation I selected cinnamon desktop for installation. One of the things I noticed was that although the cinnamon version was generally the same (excluding the most recent update), the set of packages installed were slightly different.

One prominent example is this - Initially, say a month ago, choosing cinnamon desktop installed xnoise as the sole multimedia application. Of late, including my most recent installation a week ago, xnoise has been replaced by totem. There are also other specific examples but since I did not note them down, I am unable to add them here. Furthermore, choosing Cinnamon desktop used to install less than 1000 packages (I think it was 971). Now, it is installing more than 1000.

My question is - Are these differences due to changes in Cinnamon group (xnoise to totem sounds to me to be a change in cinnamon) or has this got something to do with anaconda/yum dependency resolution?

I changed comps, totem is more useful than xnoise IMO

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_and_edit_comps.xml_for_package_groups

nonamedotc
30th November 2012, 04:12 PM
Awesome! Just wanted to know what was actually going on! Thanks! :)

AdamW
30th November 2012, 10:02 PM
If you're interested in this stuff, you can keep a git checkout of comps and update it periodically to see what's being changed. It's at http://git.fedorahosted.org/git?p=comps.git;a=summary .

nonamedotc
30th November 2012, 10:07 PM
Oh! I was not aware that something like this exists! Thanks AdamW.