PDA

View Full Version : Question: how do I setup "triple-booting" OS's

Psquared
2nd December 2004, 11:16 PM
I've got an 80 gig harddrive that originally only contained XP. I used Partition Magic to create a second partition for FC2. The two are roughly equal in size. I installed and have been happily dual-booting XP and FC2 ever since.

Now I have downloaded Ubuntu Linux to try. I have it on a DVD and it boots up fine. However, what I want to do is to install it and triple boot between XP, FC2 and Ubuntu using Grub.

I am petrified that if I do this without taking some precautions I will lose either XP or FC2 or both. I have valuable data on both and my wife still uses XP on this computer.

When I run Partition Magic now it tells me that my Linux partition is full. It will not let me resize it to make room for Ubuntu. I can take some space from XP, but ideally I would like to use 40 gigs for Windows, 20 gigs for FC2 and 20 gigs for Ubuntu. Will the Ubuntu installer do this for me reliably? Will Grub show all three OS's? Will the installation of Ubuntu (Ver 4.10) present the same risk to XP that my installation of FC2 did? If so, how do I get around this?

Any ideas?

james_in_denver
2nd December 2004, 11:36 PM
How much free space do you have on your XP partition??? Linux partition (hint, use the "df" command at the command prompt)???
is your windows XP partition "FAT32" or "NTFS"???

Did you know that Circuit City is selling 40 gig Western Digital drives for $30 after rebate, it might just be easier to buy and install another disk, certainly it would be safer!

Also I am curious what you expect "Ubuntu" to do that Fedora doesn't do???

I really don't understand people "distribution hopping" from one linux distro to another?? At the command line, they are all pretty much the same. Oh sure, they might offer slightly different install processes, but in the end, they all get their kernels from http://www.kernel.org/ and their X-windows manager from either http://www.kde.org or from gnome.org.......

When all is said and done, there are really very few differences (and no meaningful ones that I can see) between distributions.......

Psquared
2nd December 2004, 11:47 PM
My XP reports 19 gigs free. Linux FC2 is using about 11 gigs of its partition. (I am in XP right now and I don't have time to reboot to check - so I am going by memory.)

I just want to try a different distro - just for the fun of it. Ubuntu seems like a good one to experiment with to see how others do things. Plus, it has Gnome 2.8 which I can't get unless I upgrade to FC3.

I may go get another harddrive, but I am driven to do things the hard way sometimes - just so I can say I did it.

dickinsd
2nd December 2004, 11:51 PM
How much free space do you have on your XP partition??? Linux partition (hint, use the "df" command at the command prompt)???
is your windows XP partition "FAT32" or "NTFS"???

Did you know that Circuit City is selling 40 gig Western Digital drives for $30 after rebate, it might just be easier to buy and install another disk, certainly it would be safer!

Also I am curious what you expect "Ubuntu" to do that Fedora doesn't do???

I really don't understand people "distribution hopping" from one linux distro to another?? At the command line, they are all pretty much the same. Oh sure, they might offer slightly different install processes, but in the end, they all get their kernels from http://www.kernel.org/ and their X-windows manager from either http://www.kde.org or from gnome.org.......

When all is said and done, there are really very few differences (and no meaningful ones that I can see) between distributions.......
I have just tried this command (df) just to see what it does, I wonder if you could hep me understand the results?

[me@pavilion ~]$ df
Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
11998408 4438836 6950088 39% /
/dev/hda2 101105 12050 83834 13% /boot
none 241572 0 241572 0% /dev/shm
[me@pavilion ~]$

Does that say that / has 6.9GB? And what would the last section where it says
none ...... /dev/shm mean?
Dave?