dozr87
2nd December 2004, 06:01 PM
OK, i'll start at the start again.

The pc is a:
1.0 ghz athlon xp
256 ddr twinmos pc speed unknown
10gb western digital 7200rpm
ABIT kd7-e motherboard socket A
a unknown gfx card and x2 network cards (ethernet & 3com).

The pc is going to be a small server, the FC3 i use is i386.

Now the problem is that when i put in any linux cd (fc1,fc3,mandrake 9.2/10,gentoo, suse) it just keep saying:

CD Not Found

No (linux vers(etc fedora)) CD was found
wich matches your boot media.
Please insert the (Linux cd) and press ok to retry
[OK] [ Back]

Now this is gettin pretty annoying, i run a samsung cd rw 52x32x52 rom (in main, but it's in the serv pc now to install FC3). If i try to bring the western 10gb to my main pc and install it all here it works, but then when i move it over to my server again it won't reprobe to the new hardware and keeps freezing under bootup (as refered to an earlier post).

Hope some linux genious (or whatev :>) can help me out ;)

Many thanks,
Jamie

Artemis
2nd December 2004, 06:09 PM
Try burning a cd image at a lower speed(12x or 16x) and make sure you burn the cd as an image.

dozr87
2nd December 2004, 06:13 PM
You mean like burning the iso as an iso or do it like i did it earlier (the normal way to burn out an image as a usable/bootable file)? I will try the 12x, tho i downloaded the files at school wich means i have to redownload :P or i'll just do it again at school :D (takes 20 min for 4 cd's).

Thanks & regards,
jamie

Artemis
2nd December 2004, 06:21 PM
You mean like burning the iso as an iso or do it like i did it earlier (the normal way to burn out an image as a usable/bootable file)? I will try the 12x, tho i downloaded the files at school wich means i have to redownload :P or i'll just do it again at school :D (takes 20 min for 4 cd's).

Thanks & regards,
jamie

What kind of burning tool you use, nero?

dozr87
2nd December 2004, 06:40 PM
i used roxiotoast but i'm going to use nero next.

Artemis
2nd December 2004, 06:58 PM
i used roxiotoast but i'm going to use nero next.
Check the section for nero on this link:
http://members.home.nl/lsnoek/iso.htm

dozr87
2nd December 2004, 07:00 PM
Thanks, but i allready know how to burn out iso's :>.
I suppose the best chance i got right now is to burn it out again with a low speed 8x-12x.
Regard,
Jamie

Artemis
2nd December 2004, 07:07 PM
Thanks, but i allready know how to burn out iso's :>.
I suppose the best chance i got right now is to burn it out again with a low speed 8x-12x.
Regard,
Jamie

First try burning one cd, if it's booting correct burn the others. Preventing you for screwing up more :D

dozr87
2nd December 2004, 09:28 PM
Hehe, well the cd's i burned works at my main computer but not when i move that cd rom over to my server and try. I dunno why but i will try at slower speed :)

Greets,
Jamie

bob
2nd December 2004, 09:51 PM
Dozr87 - suggestion - if your computer's cd-rom can read the cd, why not swap it for the one on your server once you're done burning. I've had occasions where cd's could not be read by different cd-roms.

Puggs
2nd December 2004, 09:55 PM
Hehe, well the cd's i burned works at my main computer but not when i move that cd rom over to my server and try. I dunno why but i will try at slower speed :)

Greets,
Jamie

if you had these 2 computers networked, try doing a network install, boot of one of the net install floppies that can be found on the 1st disk.

I sounds like that it is booting fine off the CD, but then it can't find the other parts it needs, the could be a bad CD or when it creates a RAM disk for the kernal use it could be getting it wrong.

Try changing the RAM, that may help.

Puggs

dozr87
2nd December 2004, 11:27 PM
Hey, i'm not so sure.
For about 5 min ago i tryed to install win 98 se, home, xp pro and none did work.
This has to something with the hardware but i can't think of what, but if i install xp on the main comp then move the hdd it works. But not with linux :\.

Puggs, it isnt like that. If i move the hdd and the cd-rom over to my old pc it works fine; but when i move it back it stops cuz it's not probing the new hardware like it should.

oh ye and justol' bob, i have one cd-rw burner that i swap between the two pc's.
I've changed the jumper to cable select for now, while it's on the serv or else it couldnt detect it. Now it looks like eather the cd-burner isnt working on that comp it's the hdd.
I will try to install on another HDD now, if that doesnt work i will eventually just get a new cd/dvd -rom for it. If not i will move the cd-burner back and the hdd over, try installing fc1 and then upgrade it in the other pc.

It's sad that a pc at this price doesnt work when all i want to do with it is first of all learn linux better, then set it up as an personal server :(

Thanks everyone for bothering wasting your time helping me :),
Jamie :cool:

oinen
2nd December 2004, 11:37 PM
Is it possible you don't have the bios set to boot from the CD?

james_in_denver
3rd December 2004, 12:10 AM
It's never a waste of time helping someone out......

Just a few thoughts, are you sure that your CD-ROM is plugged into the "end" or "last" connector on your IDE cable, and that the CDROM is jumpered as a MASTER.... I have run into a few situations where the BIOS wouldn't play nice with a CDROM configured as the "slave"...

Also, in the system you are trying to install on, you might try loading your BIOS defaults, or BIOS safe settings.....then turn off everything you don't immediately need, APCI, USB, Serial lines, Parallel port, Game port, etc.....it might be a hardware conflict????

Probably the quickest resolution would just be to put the IDE disk you are trying to install onto into another computer....install linux, then plug it into your "problem" machine and see what happens...

If you are comfortble with booting and the command line, I would change the "initdefault" line in the "/etc/fstab" file to "3" command line, no X......

dozr87
3rd December 2004, 12:14 AM
Ok first off, almost everything you've said is/has been done 100 times now.
I can boot the cd that's not the problem, i have only got gfx card, cd rom, hdd, ram in the comp so nope no hardware conflict. Now second off i've tryed the install linux on another pc (my main pc as said b4) and put the hdd in the serv comp, that's where i am right now actually. As i posted in an earlier post, it stops during the booting!

Now tomorrow i'm goin 2 try to install fc1 with my main comp (with this hdd(the serv)) and move it over to the serv again and see if it works. If it doesnt i will crush the whole pc (hope not), atleast send it to a friend of mine who got some knowledge or else i'll have only one option left; to give it to the IT dude on my school.

Jamie

dozr87
3rd December 2004, 12:20 AM
Is it possible you don't have the bios set to boot from the CD?
:) if you read it all then you would understand that that's not the problem.

james_in_denver
3rd December 2004, 12:38 AM
Must be frustrating?!@

Just a suggestion, when booting Linux, append "noapci noprobe" to the kernel options....(this will turn off hardware probing, which can sometimes cause problems with some devices being configured properly, and it will also turn off Advanced Power and Control Interface (APCI), if it's not configured properly, that can sometimes cause a system to hang.

Also I do still strongly encourage you to go into BIOS and turn off all but the bare minimum to see if you can boot, video, mouse, keyboard, hdd and cdrom are all you really need to get off the ground, you can always turn on other options later....That is sometimes the only way to narrow the problem down to a specific piece of hardware or driver.....

Just because you only have "gfx card, cd rom, hdd, ram" doesn't mean that there isn't a device conflict!!!!!, each device may have an IRQ, a memory address, PIO address, etc....most MOBOs also have graphics, network, serial ports, USB ports, paralell port, game port, and sound card (or at least some combination of those) on the MOBO itself. Your first post showed that you also have 2 network cards installed....not normally a problem.....But the hardware environment is very prone to problems in my experience....Hardware conflicts are not uncommon!

I had a problem where Linux wouldn't recognize my ethernet card until I turned off the onboard USB ports, configured my net, then turned on the USB ports and configured those...

dickinsd
3rd December 2004, 12:38 AM
if you had these 2 computers networked, try doing a network install, boot of one of the net install floppies that can be found on the 1st disk.

I sounds like that it is booting fine off the CD, but then it can't find the other parts it needs, the could be a bad CD or when it creates a RAM disk for the kernal use it could be getting it wrong.

Try changing the RAM, that may help.

Puggs
Puggs may have hit it on the head you know, I don't know if you have come across failing RAM before, but its amazing how many problems it can cause.

Especially if the system is unable to install Win XP as well (did I read that right)

If the installs work fine when you connect the Server's hard drive to your main machine, but then fails when you take it back to the Server, it would go along with dodgy memory.

Hope you get it sorted Jamie.

Dave

dozr87
3rd December 2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks everybody, now i will try to get some more memory for my comp and see what happens then.
But win xp appears to work if i install it first with the serv hdd on my main pc then move it over to the serv again. It appears to be some sort of hardware conflict, now i havent got the networks cards in.
Not really sure anymore but if it doesnt work with linux i will just go with xp until i can figure out what's the main prob.

Thanks to all,
Jamie

dozr87
4th December 2004, 12:53 AM
OK all! thanks but the problem is solved thanks to the helpfull guy James_in_denver. Dude i just want to thank you so much you don't even know, :) thanks again.. Hugs and kisses
Jamie