PDA

View Full Version : PostInstallerF

debo2011
11th November 2012, 03:47 AM
Hi! My name is David Va; I brought to you a simple but powerful project called PostInstallerF. PostInstallerF will install all the software that Fedora doesn't include by default, after running Fedora for the first time. Its easy for a new user. PostInstallerF contains everything that you need for your daily computing.

PostInstallerF includes a simple but functional interface. The project began as a simple personal script. My altruistic heart compels me to share it with the desire to help the beginner in Fedora Linux. Now PostInstallerF prematurely but also works in several popular distributions. You can easily install programs from Copr, similar to Ubuntu with PPA.

I am a developer and project manager of PostInstallerF. Any suggestion to the project is welcome.

Current version of PostInstallerF supports following features

Add Third party repositories: RPMFusion, Copr, Google, Adobe, Chromium, Skype, Opera, Oracle Virtualbox

Enable/disable sudo (the current user)

Install Ati/Nvidia drivers (Experimental)

Install all multimedia codecs

Install Adobe Flash plugin or Freshplayer

Install Java Runtime Environment

Disable SELinux

Frozen kernel (avoid updates of kernel)

Install Microsoft fonts

Install Gnome Shell Extensions
IInstall programs from Copr, similar to Ubuntu with PPA.

Install all essential Software as: LibreOffice, Chromium, Opera, Google Chrome, Skype, Mobile Media Converter, Ocenaudio, Netflix Player, Transcoder, ekd, Wink, Steam, Etc. more than 100 programs and modifications to the system.

We was working PostInstallerF for Fedora 25

**How to Install PostInstallerF?*

from a terminal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNOME_Terminal)

FC23/24 (updated 06-23-2016)

1) su

2) dnf -y install wget

3) rpm --import https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kuboosoft/postinstallerf/master/GPG/$(rpm -E %fedora)/RPM-GPG-KEY-postinstallerf

4) wget -c -P /etc/yum.repos.d/ https://raw.github.com/kuboosoft/postinstallerf/master/postinstallerf.repo

5) dnf clean metadata

6) dnf -y install postinstallerf

Site project (http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/)

http://i58.tinypic.com/b4yjwp.png

SOURCE CODE (http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/files/fedora/releases/22/SRPM/postinstallerf-1.5-29.fc22.src.rpm)

Communities

PostInstallerF (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/118230919321773121406)
Fedora United (https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109631651893367781759)

debo2011
13th December 2012, 10:57 PM
PostInstallerF ready for Fedora 18 Final. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome.

skytux
14th December 2012, 02:17 PM
Crear un rpm noarch para un shell script requiere tiempo? No estoy de acuerdo! Además, vos decís que se actualiza constantemente, entonces justamente por causa de eso sería necesario crear el rpm. Además, es para Fedora, no? Entonces nada mejor que instalar un rpm :C

bob
14th December 2012, 03:10 PM
Skytux, this is an English Forum and the Posting Rules require all posts to be in English. How about doing a quick translation if you don't want to remove the Spanish ?

Dies
14th December 2012, 05:29 PM
Crear un rpm noarch para un shell script requiere tiempo? No estoy de acuerdo! Además, vos decís que se actualiza constantemente, entonces justamente por causa de eso sería necesario crear el rpm. Además, es para Fedora, no? Entonces nada mejor que instalar un rpm :C

[loose translation]
Creating a noarch rpm for a shell script requires time? I disagree!
Also, you say it's updated constantly, that alone should make an rpm necessary.
Besides, it's Fedora right? Nothing better than installing an rpm.
[/loose translation]

skytux
14th December 2012, 05:49 PM
Skytux, this is an English Forum and the Posting Rules require all posts to be in English. How about doing a quick translation if you don't want to remove the Spanish ?

I'm aware this is an forum in English, and as you wrote in Spanish, so did I... I just expressed my opinion that creating a noarch rpm package is very easy. I could do it for you, it would be a spec file where you only have to change the version and recompile it :D

bob
14th December 2012, 05:58 PM
I didn't write in Spanish, since I wouldn't have a clue (13 years of French though :D).

Anyway, the original post was translated into both English and Spanish, which is what I was aiming at. Got to remember that we're international and can't possibly handle all dialects, so we need to stick with English. Also, because that way we can know when you're swearing at us. ;)

skytux
14th December 2012, 06:29 PM
I didn't write in Spanish, since I wouldn't have a clue (13 years of French though :D).

Anyway, the original post was translated into both English and Spanish, which is what I was aiming at. Got to remember that we're international and can't possibly handle all dialects, so we need to stick with English. Also, because that way we can know when you're swearing at us. ;)

Oops... I'm doing everything wrong today, not only here but also at work :doh:

I wanted to say that debo2011 wrote in Spanish, and I said it to you, I'm sorry for that...

All the best,
Germán.

debo2011
14th December 2012, 10:33 PM
Hi guys, You do not need to focus on the language, everything is a constructive process, I am aware that this is an international forum, and therefore the international language is English, my English is very bad, however I have adapted to it, just as forums in Chinese, Russian etc. haha. The suggestion of Skytux is valid and I like the idea and the support it provides, and indeed I accept it gladly.

Do not worry, if you have had a bad day, smile :)
Welcome back Bob :P

BenTrein
18th January 2013, 09:36 PM
The idea sounds good, but your install-guide needs some work. My Spanish is non-existant, so I can't translate what happens - but not much good happens:

sh postinstallerf.sh

AutoInstalador PostInstallerF 1 v.6.2

user-trash-full.png
updatep2.png
updatep.png
sistema.png
PostinstallerF.sh
Postinstaller1.svg
pinguino.png
pincel_rco.png
icoinstall2.png
camera.png
brightness.png
ubuntu/postinstallerf/Logout.sh
ubuntu/Postinstaller.sh
ubuntu/Postinstaller1.svg
ubuntu/PostinstallerF.sh
postinstallerf/Logout.sh
Postdesktopfiles/Install.desktop
Postdesktopfiles/GnomeShell_Extensions.desktop
Postdesktopfiles/Configure_Tuning.desktop
Postdesktopfiles/Shutdown_Logout.desktop
acciones/topicon.png
acciones/conf.png
acciones/system-shutdown.svg
acciones/add.png
acciones/gnomestension.svg
acciones/topiconubu.png
ubuntu/postinstallerf/
ubuntu/
postinstallerf/
Postdesktopfiles/
acciones/
postinstallerf/confpost64.sh
postinstallerf/gnext.sh
postinstallerf/confpost.sh
ubuntu/postinstallerf/gnext.sh
ubuntu/postinstallerf/confpost.sh
ubuntu/postinstallerf/addpost.sh
install.sh
Postinstaller64.sh
Postinstaller.sh
postinstallerf/addpost.sh
postinstallerf/addpost64.sh

Ya existe Postinstaller.sh, se reemplazará
es Fedora
zenity esta presente
wget esta presente
yad esta presente
Fedora 18
Pipe Viewer esta presente
Este es un sistema de 32-bit
isue =
no es ubuntu

Just a thought - fix it?

debo2011
19th January 2013, 03:17 AM
Hi, BenTrein

very simple

It is a program with a simple installer with the following instructions:

1) is extracted as a temporary file in /tmp/ (after removes all)

2) Copy each part of the program (icons, sounds, scripts)

This is the model used by some program sself-extracting, easier. With this the user to see what happens.

The future of this application is a rpm. However it is still premature because PostInstallerF also works with Ubuntu, so also need to create a deb;)

What says the program, you already have a previous version and it will replace PostInstallerF.

as any program who need to install software, you must have administrative privileges (in this case 'su'), for installation.

debo2011
31st January 2013, 10:08 PM
Today, we released an rpm, ready for battle.

bob
31st January 2013, 10:57 PM
Very nice! I've given it a try and surprised by just how much you've included. While some of the script is still in Spanish, it's easy to understand what's happening and the packages I selected were easily installed.

I've included your script in the Fedora Set-up Guides (yellow link above) and also mentioned it in Linux Help.

debo2011
2nd February 2013, 01:13 AM
Thanks bob!! many thanks, The next update will include "Tupi (http://www.maefloresta.com/)" and many more surprises about progress bar :)

BenTrein
4th February 2013, 08:10 PM
It works very well - it is indeed a very nice bit of work. One feature request though - to make it less laborious: Could it be so that (under the install bit) I can select different things I want to install at the same time, then hit install and just let the program do the rest? This way I don't have to sit and wait for every install that I want to make. It'll involve just one click, and I can go do something else and forget about it till everything I want has been installed... I hope you understand it from my mediocre description. :)

debo2011
5th February 2013, 10:01 PM
BenTrein : In very old versions, this was possible; latest updates on 'yad', made ​​changes, so PostInstallerF, lost this functionality, we are working to restore this functionality only for "Install" and "GnomeShell/extensions ". However the above is not recommended due to critical functions (Configure/Tuning), for example the installation of video drivers. In the next few hours, we will make the suggested changes only for "Install" and "GnomeShell/extensions ".

Enjoy!

glennzo
6th February 2013, 12:36 AM
I'm about to give PostInstallerF a test run. I think you should get rid of the -y switch for the yum install

su -c 'yum -y localinstall http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/files/Fedora%2018/postinstallerf-1.0.1-1.fc18.noarch.rpm'
I wanted to see what the dependencies were before committing to the install but, since I wasn't paying close enough attention, the program was installed ....

No harm done. Just my 2 cents worth.

glennzo
6th February 2013, 09:36 AM
Decided to try out PostInstallerF last night so I installed it via the link provided in the relevant thread, http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=285749&highlight=postinstallerf. After playing with PostInstallerF for a few minutes I typed (for reasons unrelated to PostInstallerF) yum repolist and noticed that I now have several Russian repos installed.

repo id repo name status
_local Automatic local repo. (manged by the "local" yum plugin). 204
adobe-linux-x86_64 Adobe Systems Incorporated 2
fedora/18/x86_64 Fedora 18 - x86_64 33,752+116
infinality/18/x86_64 Infinality 40
infinality-noarch/18 Infinality - noarch 1
rpm-local Fedora 18 - x86_64 Local 34+3
rpmfusion-free/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Free 469
rpmfusion-free-updates/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Free - Updates 104
rpmfusion-nonfree/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Nonfree 210+4
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Nonfree - Updates 60+24
russianfedora-free/18/x86_64 Russian Fedora for Fedora 18 - Free 145+2
russianfedora-free-updates/18/x86_64 Russian Fedora for Fedora 18 - Free - Updates 24
russianfedora-nonfree/18/x86_64 Russian Fedora for Fedora 18 - Nonfree 25
russianfedora-nonfree-updates/18/x86_64 Russian Fedora for Fedora 18 - Nonfree - Updates 4
*updates/18/x86_64 Fedora 18 - x86_64 - Updates 10,383+16
repolist: 45,457

I can't say whether these repos existed immediately before I installed PostInstallerF or if they're related to the program, but they certainly haven't been there for very long. I'm all over yum on my systems so I would notice right away if repos change.

????? As Dan would say, whuzzup?

bob
6th February 2013, 09:41 AM
I have them too, so I suspect that they've been enacted by PostInstallerF.. So, let's ask. So, Debo2111, is PostInstallerF adding repos? If so, why, and if necessary, why not set them to disabled once your script has run?

glennzo
6th February 2013, 10:53 AM
Guides and Solutions. No questions. Shame on us :blink:

glennzo
6th February 2013, 12:16 PM
Well, there's always

su -c 'sed -i 's/enabled=1/enabled=0/g' /etc/yum.repos.d/russianfedora-*'

yum repolist

_local Automatic local repo. (manged by the "local" yum plugin). 204
adobe-linux-x86_64 Adobe Systems Incorporated 2
fedora/18/x86_64 Fedora 18 - x86_64 33,752+116
infinality/18/x86_64 Infinality 40
infinality-noarch/18 Infinality - noarch 1
rpm-local Fedora 18 - x86_64 Local 34+3
rpmfusion-free/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Free 469
rpmfusion-free-updates/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Free - Updates 104
rpmfusion-nonfree/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Nonfree 210+4
rpmfusion-nonfree-updates/18/x86_64 RPM Fusion for Fedora 18 - Nonfree - Updates 60+24
*updates/18/x86_64 Fedora 18 - x86_64 - Updates 10,383+16
repolist: 45,259

That fixes things right up ... :C

bob
6th February 2013, 02:14 PM
Glenn, that's good and perhaps debo2111 will consider adding it as a final step when the script closes. As to asking questions, that's for the initial post, but we sure need to ask them when the guide throws us a curve.

debo2011
6th February 2013, 04:56 PM
Hi Bob and glennzo, Russian Fedora. This is an essential thirdparty repository/ Community repositories , officially compatible with Fedora http://rpmfusion.org/FedoraThirdPartyRepos.

Just think, example: if you have installed skype, opera, chromium via PostInstallerF Why are updated? because "Rusian Fedora" are responsible for packaging them and maintain them.

You install dropbox, you will have a dropbox repository, you install Google Chrome, you also have another repository more... and this does not install the PostInstallerF ;)

PostInstallerF, was proposed to be in the official repositories of Fedora, if I remove rpmfusion, Russian Fedora and several proprietary programs/install drivers. This would be castrate PostInstallerF. and have better benefits Gnome Software https://live.gnome.org/Design/Apps/Software

If you want disable Russian Fedora is very simple:

from Configure/Tunig

Enable/disable repos

or

From a terminal

su -c 'gpk-prefs'

bob
6th February 2013, 05:15 PM
So, just adding RussianFedora repos eliminates adding a bunch of other repos when you've added opera/chrome/etc. Since they're listed as 3rd. party repos similar to RPMFusion, then it makes sense to leave them active to get your updates.

Thanks for explaining.

debo2011
6th February 2013, 06:15 PM
Bob: yes this is correct (less Dropbox and Chrome). It is a tremendous work of Russian Fedora Community repositories. The Fedora community is very large. In PostInstallerF, some programs also have been packaged as: Mobilmedia Converter, 'Arista transcoder' etc. 64bit not yet completed, for monetary reasons. Soon we will solve. :)

If anyone wants to package it for 64 bits (xorg-input-wizardpen, hypervc, tupi, or mmc), is welcome. PostInstallerF (http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/files/srpm/) will thank you :)

bob
6th February 2013, 06:24 PM
Just a quick tip to anyone who's used Glennzo's code to disable the Russian repos: You'll have to enable each of them one-by-one if you want to use PostInstallerF again. Simply starting PostInstallerF will not re-enable them and while it will start normally, it may not complete any installations.

glennzo
6th February 2013, 06:33 PM
You could also use

yum --enablerepo=russian* <do whatever you need to do>

And to debo2011, nice piece of work. Congrats to you and your project peers. :)

bob
6th February 2013, 06:39 PM
True, but I didn't want to have the newer members enabling rawhide, updates-testing, etc. :blink:

Might get a just a little messy during the next yum update! :doh:

Of course, if you've disabled them and then enabled them, it's best to do 'yum repolist' to make sure that only the correct ones are enabled. (Aside to Glenn, wouldn't you have to leave your terminal open while enabled for PostInstallerF to work? Once closed, those repos would go back to disabled, right?)

debo2011
6th February 2013, 06:44 PM
Thanks, glennzo and Bob; many suggestions have changed the PostInstallerF, and ideas that arise even when sleeping.haha :)

glennzo
6th February 2013, 06:52 PM
Bob. Right on all counts. My bad, but then that's the mentality of a command line junky (me).

Scratch that suggestion then. Best to use debo2011's method and leave my method for the crazies.

debo2011
11th February 2013, 10:36 PM
Dear friends, you need to see the live update process of PostInstallerF? If this is correct, in a few hours I will be making changes, showing a terminal, the direction of these updates. What think?

Dan
11th February 2013, 11:06 PM
I'm thinking transparency here is the better choice. And perhaps the opportunity to view, approve and read a detailed description of any and all updates performed. <..:thumb:..>

We are, after all, asking people to completely trust the process. <..:)..>

Y, en ingles, por favor. My Spanish is non-existent.

T3STY
11th February 2013, 11:36 PM
Why is xterm installed as dependency? I don't want it as I use gnome-terminal... is it necessary for the script someway?

debo2011
12th February 2013, 12:47 AM
Dan

I will make the changes in 'PostInstallerF', showing live updates via terminal, in the next hours. The progress bars will be migrated to the English in due time, this project began as a program for Hispanic people. There are thousands of people who use it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
T3STY

Speaking about PostInstallerF; Xterm will not affect anything, nor replace anything, just you will see the live update process via xterm. You are confused. Do not worry.

and ready! the update is complete, as you can see the path of live updates are to the mirror Google Code http://code.google.com/p/postinstallerfedora/

T3STY
12th February 2013, 02:06 AM
I know it won't affect anything, I just don't like redundance in my apps... :)

DBelton
12th February 2013, 02:44 AM
Well, I too am wondering why it install Xterm. All you have to do is execute a shell script and tell it to run in a terminal window, then it will use whatever the default terminal application is without needing to install anything.

debo2011
12th February 2013, 03:05 AM
I know it won't affect anything, I just don't like redundance in my apps... :)

is part of the transparency, if the user is happy watching the live upgrade process, no problem. Also, everyone has access to the source code. I hate to see a terminal within any program, we must not scare the user with this. In the future this updater live, show the route with a modern progress bar. :C

---------- Post added at 03:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

Well, I too am wondering why it install Xterm. All you have to do is execute a shell script and tell it to run in a terminal window, then it will use whatever the default terminal application is without needing to install anything.

There are processes that work best under xterm, for example when installing virtualbox proprietary, this dependency I can not remove, sorry. Xterm is not only used by the updater live, I have better results with xterm.

man xterm

bob
12th February 2013, 03:09 AM
I liked the changes I saw with this version. Minor glitch I should report: I installed fotoxx and when I started it, the package complained that it needed dcraw. Once that was installed, it ran properly.

debo2011
12th February 2013, 04:11 AM
I liked the changes I saw with this version. Minor glitch I should report: I installed fotoxx and when I started it, the package complained that it needed dcraw. Once that was installed, it ran properly.

Thanks Bob. really? Fotoxx, mmm very strange, it must report to the packer Fotoxx, PostInstallerF install 'Fotoxx' in the following manner.

yum -y install fotoxx

but i will include as dependency, thanks

sidebrnz
24th March 2013, 11:41 PM
Not only is everything in Spanish, it doesn't tell you what it's doing or ask what you want. If it turns out that it does things I dislike, is there any way to recover from it without reinstalling from scratch?

bob
25th March 2013, 12:02 AM
Huh? It's sure not in Spanish on my version.

sidebrnz
25th March 2013, 12:17 AM
Well, I installed and ran it just before posting here. Yes, some of the stuff, such as asking if I want to reboot, is in English, but the titles of all the windows that tell you what's going on were in Spanish.

bob
25th March 2013, 12:50 AM
Hmmm...well here's what I'm looking at in both the initial window and the package selection (install or remove) window. I've done both, btw, with no issues.

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/picture.php?albumid=135&pictureid=1604

sidebrnz
25th March 2013, 01:05 AM
Weird! When I ran it, it just seemed to install everything without asking, or telling me what was happening. And, AFAICT, none of that's shown up on my menus. Probably it's because I use Xfce, not Gnome.

debo2011
23rd May 2013, 12:11 AM
Coming up (this week) new release!, some changes, more programs, some surprises! ;)

debo2011
31st May 2013, 04:30 AM
yeah! Today new release PostInstallerF 1.2.0, please read the first page. Previous versions will be updated automatically. Enjoy!! ;) ;)

Dangermouse
31st May 2013, 06:43 AM
Previous versions will be updated automatically.
Does this version self update as well!

debo2011
31st May 2013, 04:32 PM
Does this version self update as well!

Yes, because PostInstallerF now has a repository. 34 packages out of the box, we have packed. :dance:

I have not finished packing for Fedora 17 and 19, but I'm working on it. :D

bob
31st May 2013, 05:03 PM
Some nice additions. Tried a few and noticed that PlayOnLinux fails (twice). All 'wine' packages installed properly. Unfortunately, since there's no way to save the output, can't give more details on the 'fail'.

debo2011
31st May 2013, 06:46 PM
Some nice additions. Tried a few and noticed that PlayOnLinux fails (twice). All 'wine' packages installed properly. Unfortunately, since there's no way to save the output, can't give more details on the 'fail'.

Ok, I will to check , and fix it. Thanks for this report. :)

This is problem about repository of PlayOnLinux. I fixed the problem, now only wait, when the servers and mirrors going to update ;)

bob
2nd June 2013, 07:12 PM
Just verified it's working okay now. One more item, minor, but your description of yED is copied to Cmap Tools as well.

debo2011
3rd June 2013, 07:01 AM
Just verified it's working okay now. One more item, minor, but your description of yED is copied to Cmap Tools as well.

Thanks, I will change the simple error about the description ;)

I wish make a rpm for yED and Cmap but are very conflictives (propietary). I can't package because type of license. I was speaking with the developer de yED, and he said they need have all control about the downloads.

debo2011
5th July 2013, 06:48 AM
Yeah! ready for Fedora 19, working now Fedora 20 ;)

debo2011
28th November 2013, 11:24 PM
Yeah! :dance: PostInstallerF is ready for Fedora 20, enjoy!:dance:

lsatenstein
29th November 2013, 07:54 PM
In the past I tried postinastallerf, found that it was pretty good, but it became obtrusive. I like a software like postinstallerf that would builds a large RPM file based on having the applications I would like to have as extras. That rpm image is downloaded, and installed after Fedora is installed, and voila,*we are there.

So, the way that would make me happy would be to have the Fedora iso, and a single file -- a postinstallerf rpm

If you think of it, I am quite sure that there would not be too many variations of the add-on rpm file.

DBelton
6th December 2013, 07:49 AM
I do want to know why things like adobe flash are installed from the postinstallerf repo instead of just installing it directly from the adobe repo.

Use the adobe repo and you are assured of getting the latest version. Last I looked you had an old version in the postinstallerf repo. (at least the Fedora 19 version had an old version of flash plugin)

lsatenstein
6th December 2013, 01:11 PM
Hi there Mr DB.
The last time I went to the Adobe website for flash, the RPM support had disappeared. For Linux, all that Adobe provided was a gzipped tar file for when one clicked on YUM or RPM. I suppose that Adobe wants flash to disappear, and for alternative products to appear.

Therefore, we should be looking at rpmfusion to house the latest Adobe flash, or Adobe open source or whatever.

Adobe did say that their version would only have updates if and only if there were security concerns.

Time to move on, I guess. Time to have Mozilla provide a good integrated flash player.

nonamedotc
6th December 2013, 05:00 PM
Hi there Mr DB.
The last time I went to the Adobe website for flash, the RPM support had disappeared. For Linux, all that Adobe provided was a gzipped tar file for when one clicked on YUM or RPM.

[ ... ]

That was for one day or so. You can download the rpm from Adobe's website even now ..

DBelton
6th December 2013, 10:40 PM
Yea, I think it was a glitch someplace when they put a new version of flash out. It happened right about the time a new version appeared in the repo.

But, sadly, all Adobe is doing for the linux version of flash is security updates, having put all of their linux resources into pepper and making it available exclusively in chrome. (I do believe that if you have chrome and pepper flash player installed, there are ways that you can get chromium to use it as well, but other browsers can't use it.)

debo2011
7th December 2013, 08:15 PM
I do want to know why things like adobe flash are installed from the postinstallerf repo instead of just installing it directly from the adobe repo.

Use the adobe repo and you are assured of getting the latest version. Last I looked you had an old version in the postinstallerf repo. (at least the Fedora 19 version had an old version of flash plugin)

Hi, PostInstallerf don't include the flash plugin in your repository; but only Adobe and Russian Fedora repository.

Check:

repoquery --repoid=postinstallerf -a

repoquery --repoid=postinstallerf-updates -a

DBelton
8th December 2013, 02:20 AM
Possibly it installed from the Russian Fedora repo, then. When I tried out Postinstallerf for Fedora 19, it installed an old version of flash, and not from the adobe repo.

Ahhh.. haaa.. Looking back through my yum history.. I found out what happened. I never told postinstallrf to install the flash plugin since I had already installed it from the adobe repo.. But, when you first run postinstallerf, it does an update... Since I had flash-plugin installed, it updated it, but with an older version.

Updated flash-plugin-11.2.202.327-release.x86_64 @adobe-linux-x86_64
Update 7:11.2.202.310-1.R.x86_64 @russianfedora-nonfree-updates

It appears the Russian Fedora people stuck an epoch on there which makes yum think it's a more recent version.

bob
19th December 2013, 03:52 PM
Debo, thanks again for a nice way to complete F20. The only glitch I ran into was Google Earth, which borked. Might want to check on that.

debo2011
28th December 2013, 06:16 AM
Debo, thanks again for a nice way to complete F20. The only glitch I ran into was Google Earth, which borked. Might want to check on that.

Hi, thanks, maybe I need to make a new rpm for Fedora, all people had the same problem with the oficial rpm from Google... :doh:

debo2011
30th December 2013, 06:40 PM

Bob, I made a new rpm, work for me but, please check :)

64 bits

su -c 'yum -y install http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/files/fedora/releases/20/x86_64/updates/google-earth-7.1.2.2041-1.fc20.x86_64.rpm'

32bits

coming soon..

bob
30th December 2013, 07:51 PM
Sorry, but I've got it working from another source and run into conflicts if I try to use yours. Hope someone else gives it a shot though.

StephenH
31st December 2013, 01:19 AM
Bob, I made a new rpm, work for me but, please check :)

64 bits

su -c 'yum -y install http://sourceforge.net/projects/postinstaller/files/fedora/releases/20/x86_64/updates/google-earth-7.1.2.2041-1.fc20.x86_64.rpm'

32bits

coming soon..

Google Earth installed fine with this file on two different computers. One was a Netbook with AMD graphics. It launched and ran just fine. The second was a desktop system with Nvidia graphics and the Nvidia driver installed. While it launched fine, where the Earth should have been was only a black circle with some marks on it.

I am pretty sure this is a problem with Nvidia and OpenGL, not with Google Earth.

Edit: I was prompted by this to do a bit of searching. There is a setting in Google Earth under the 3D options for "Compress" which is checked. When unchecked, the globe appears as expected. I found the solution here:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/earth/GfZlpeFMg-Y/vBixr8TS3qsJ

broadstairs
4th January 2014, 05:59 PM
Can anyone tell me how I stop postinstallerf doing a system update when I start it and before I get to select anything? This behavior is rather annoying. Also might I request that the software to be installed is sorted alphabetically as it would make finding what is needed much more straight forward?

Stuart

debo2011
12th January 2014, 10:59 AM
@Stuart

You can sort it alphabetically by clicking on the first line;) The current order PostInstallerF programs are the priority for a novice user ..

Updates at the beginning of the program, are necessary because few people update their system.

broadstairs
12th January 2014, 11:23 AM
@Stuart

You can sort it alphabetically by clicking on the first line;) The current order PostInstallerF programs are the priority for a novice user ..

Updates at the beginning of the program, are necessary because few people update their system.

Yes I discovered that.

However the update thing is annoying and in my view should be an option not a requisite as I do update my system but ALWAYS review the updates before doing any and I dont like anything to stop me from doing this. I believe this is a fundamental flaw with this program.

Stuart

broadstairs
15th January 2014, 06:32 PM
Can I please make a strong request that the system update be made an option which can be turned off when starting postinstallerf. I really dont need to do this on a system which is kept up to date and it is extremely frustrating waiting for this (for me) completely unnecessary step. I try to avoid using it if at all possible because of this.

Stuart

bob
15th January 2014, 06:54 PM
Stuart, maybe you would assist Debo2011 with the coding to handle that change? He's just another user, like yourself, and has dedicated many, many hours to putting this together and keeping it current.

broadstairs
15th January 2014, 07:02 PM
Well I'll certainly take a look. I did think it might be a quick change for someone who already knows the code. To be honest if I do manage to figure it out I'd just turn it off completely for me anyway. My problem is that it updates everything and gives the user no alternatives. I'm sorry but I really cant see the point of it doing this.

Stuart

debo2011
17th January 2014, 06:52 AM
Well I'll certainly take a look. I did think it might be a quick change for someone who already knows the code. To be honest if I do manage to figure it out I'd just turn it off completely for me anyway. My problem is that it updates everything and gives the user no alternatives. I'm sorry but I really cant see the point of it doing this.

Stuart

Don't worry, I'm working on scheduled updates. ;)

The purpose of PostInstallerF is particularly help the end user. Whoever is interested in the system work without their intervention. :D

debo2011
4th February 2014, 12:52 AM

Stuart

New updates, Your suggestions are heard ;)

enjoy :dance:

broadstairs
21st February 2014, 04:40 PM
I have just run the Activate touchpad from start on my Laptop with F20 KDE and now all I get is a black screen instead of the KDE Login Manager which I can see has started. How do I undo whatever it is which PostInstallerF has done to activate this? I need to be able to login. Also if this is a Gnome only option surely it should say so.

Stuart

Update: Well managed to get into a shell and found there wass a syntax error in 50-synaptics.conf which was stopping X starting, so removed that and now been able to boot up. This should not happen! Will fix file and put it back. Well it seems I dont need it for touchpad to work but still tapping wont work in Login Manager, OH well will fix that later.

debo2011
28th May 2014, 11:34 PM
This is the Future of PostInstallerF, I am rewriting and redesigning PostInstallerF. Coming Soon

http://s27.postimg.org/xtahm6rgz/Captura_de_pantalla_280514_16_30_05.png

More Info here (https://plus.google.com/communities/118230919321773121406)

debo2011
4th September 2014, 04:44 PM
and finally PostInstallerF 1.5. Enjoy!

tdell
4th September 2014, 06:37 PM
Downloaded but will not install due to unresolved dependencies

broadstairs
4th September 2014, 08:32 PM
I just installed this but was horrified when APPER said it had just installed a whole bunch of stuff not directly related to PostintallerF. Only thing which showed initially was a new version of PostInstallerF. So where did all this other stuff come from? I dont asppreciate it installed loads of other stuff .... All that was installed in pricipal was PostInstallerF and App-install-data-postinstallerf but Apper showed me a whole list of new apps installed WHY?

Stuart

debo2011
4th September 2014, 11:17 PM
Downloaded but will not install due to unresolved dependencies

@tdell unresolved dependencies? sorry but you need update...o upgrade, It only work for f20 -f22

How to update?

su
yum clean metadata
yum -y update

I just installed this but was horrified when APPER said it had just installed a whole bunch of stuff not directly related to PostintallerF. Only thing which showed initially was a new version of PostInstallerF. So where did all this other stuff come from? I dont asppreciate it installed loads of other stuff .... All that was installed in pricipal was PostInstallerF and App-install-data-postinstallerf but Apper showed me a whole list of new apps installed WHY?

Stuart

I have no control over sub dependencies.

Dependencies

My current system...

[makerpm@localhost ~]$ uname -a
Linux localhost.localdomain 3.15.10-200.fc20.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Aug 14 15:39:24 UTC 2014 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
[makerpm@localhost ~]$

checking dependencies

[makerpm@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --requires postinstallerf
/bin/bash
/bin/sh
/bin/sh
ImageMagick
PackageKit
SDL_mixer
app-install-data-postinstallerf
binutils
curl
dnf
pulseaudio-utils
rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
rpmlib(FileDigests) <= 4.6.0-1
rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
wget
xterm
yad
zenity
rpmlib(PayloadIsXz) <= 5.2-1

[makerpm@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --requires app-install-data-postinstallerf
/bin/sh
ImageMagick
binutils
libpng

tdell
5th September 2014, 02:01 AM
OK got it installed, the only problem I see is it does not update the lastest version of Frostwire.

debo2011
5th September 2014, 06:36 AM
OK got it installed, the only problem I see is it does not update the lastest version of Frostwire.

Coming soon ;)

broadstairs
5th September 2014, 08:15 AM
I have no control over sub dependencies.

These were not sub-dependencies. I only saw two things installed postinstallerf and app-install-data-postinstallerf which were selected by Apper, however once installed the window opened in Apper giving me the option to run a whole bunch of installed programs some of which were games. This is what I dont understand - why did apper tell me that this whole bunch of stuff was available to run. Prior to running this update the system was fully updated and had been re-booted so there was nothing left for apper to complete etc.

One further observation, now you have to select a program before you can see the install status, it would be much improved in my view if the install status could be shown on the menu screen without having to select the item first.

Stuart

broadstairs
5th September 2014, 08:35 AM
Just installed this new version on my laptop and got the same message, see attached image. Can you explain why this is happening? Once again this was the only thing installed as on my previous PC.

Stuart

PS> It would appear that none of these are actually installed according to APPER now, however this message is VERY misleading and something should be done about it.

debo2011
5th September 2014, 08:56 PM
These were not sub-dependencies. I only saw two things installed postinstallerf and app-install-data-postinstallerf which were selected by Apper, however once installed the window opened in Apper giving me the option to run a whole bunch of installed programs some of which were games. This is what I dont understand - why did apper tell me that this whole bunch of stuff was available to run. Prior to running this update the system was fully updated and had been re-booted so there was nothing left for apper to complete etc.

One further observation, now you have to select a program before you can see the install status, it would be much improved in my view if the install status could be shown on the menu screen without having to select the item first.

Stuart

But you can use the checklist mode menu.

Just installed this new version on my laptop and got the same message, see attached image. Can you explain why this is happening? Once again this was the only thing installed as on my previous PC.

Stuart

PS> It would appear that none of these are actually installed according to APPER now, however this message is VERY misleading and something should be done about it.

Is a joke? The message said there are pending updates .. an now change to you have new programs... remember "You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that." This error is not related to PostInstallerF; and usually happens because you do not have a culture of update. I recommend you, clean the cache packagekit.

From a terminal ...

su
pkcon refresh
pkcon update
dnf -y update

Please report this isue with apper, could be a bug.

broadstairs
5th September 2014, 09:03 PM
Sorry, there is no way I have ever tried to install these programs, there was nothing outstanding on my system and it had been FULLY updated prior to installing postinstallerf. I cannot see anywhere it says that there are pending updates in that screen shot. This happened on two different PCs both of which had ALL outstanding updates installed. Other programs have installed before this with no such messages. The ONLY thing I installed was postinstallerf.

broadstairs
5th September 2014, 10:46 PM
With regard to the Checklist Mode Menu does this only show if the program wsa actually installed with postinstallerf? I tried running it and at least two programs show up as Not Installed but in fact were already installed by me outside of postinstallerf.

debo2011
6th September 2014, 04:17 AM
Sorry, there is no way I have ever tried to install these programs, there was nothing outstanding on my system and it had been FULLY updated prior to installing postinstallerf. I cannot see anywhere it says that there are pending updates in that screen shot. This happened on two different PCs both of which had ALL outstanding updates installed. Other programs have installed before this with no such messages. The ONLY thing I installed was postinstallerf.

checking requires....

[makerpm@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --requires postinstallerf
wget
binutils
yad
zenity
curl
SDL_mixer
xterm
pulseaudio-utils
ImageMagick
app-install-data-postinstallerf
PackageKit
rpm-build
[makerpm@localhost ~]$

[makerpm@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --requires app-install-data-postinstallerf
/bin/sh
ImageMagick
binutils
libpng
[makerpm@localhost ~]$

Now checking if provides some packages...

[makerpm@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --provides postinstallerf
postinstallerf = 1.5-13.fc20
[makerpm@localhost ~]$

[makerpm@localhost ~]$ rpm -q --provides app-install-data-postinstallerf
app-install-data-postinstallerf = 1.0-9.fc20

NONE only the package :C
sorry, this problem isn't related to PostInstallerF; if you want to review the source code is at your disposal, also if you want check if PostInstallerF run occult.

ps -A | grep postinstaller
pstree

If you believe the PostInstallerf is responsible, please remove PostInstallerF ;)

I just installed a new spin with KDE today, and not ask me programs I saw in your screenshot...

broadstairs
30th June 2015, 08:20 AM
I am trying to install postinstallerf for F21 which I have just migrated to but it will not download the app-install-data package for F21. Is there a problem with this?

Stuart

glennzo
30th June 2015, 10:54 AM
Here's what I get when I try to install this program under Fedora 21 I686.

sudo dnf install postinstallerf
Using metadata from Tue Jun 30 05:40:02 2015 (0:12:16 hours old)
Dependencies resolved.
================================================== ================================================== ====================
Package Arch Version Repository Size
================================================== ================================================== ====================
Installing:
ImageMagick i686 6.8.8.10-6.fc21 updates 161 k
ImageMagick-libs i686 6.8.8.10-6.fc21 updates 2.0 M
OpenEXR-libs i686 2.1.0-5.fc21 fedora 325 k
SDL_mixer i686 1.2.12-7.fc21 fedora 96 k
app-install-data-postinstallerf noarch 1.0-13.fc21 postinstallerf-updates 24 M
ilmbase i686 2.1.0-3.fc21 fedora 104 k
libXaw i686 1.0.12-4.fc21 fedora 185 k
libmikmod i686 3.3.7-1.fc21 fedora 150 k
libwmf-lite i686 0.2.8.4-43.fc21 updates 70 k
postinstallerf noarch 1.5-30.fc21 postinstallerf-updates 6.3 M
xterm i686 308-3.fc21 updates 473 k
yad i686 0.28.1-1.fc21 updates 194 k

Transaction Summary
Install 12 Packages

Total size: 34 M
Total download size: 24 M
Installed size: 53 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
[SKIPPED] postinstallerf-1.5-30.fc21.noarch.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] SDL_mixer-1.2.12-7.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] libmikmod-3.3.7-1.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] ImageMagick-6.8.8.10-6.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] ImageMagick-libs-6.8.8.10-6.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] ilmbase-2.1.0-3.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] OpenEXR-libs-2.1.0-5.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] xterm-308-3.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] libXaw-1.0.12-4.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] yad-0.28.1-1.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[SKIPPED] libwmf-lite-0.2.8.4-43.fc21.i686.rpm: Already downloaded
[MIRROR] app-install-data-postinstallerf-1.0-13.fc21.noarch.rpm: Downloading successful, but checksum doesn't match. Calculated: ac6c00c06e24239f59811c0893d1d7056653ed5891cce7d040 98be806d76b477(sha256) Expected: 29d943e28cefdefc96d4f40f9bcb0ce0b62f65901a9a2b2b95 19d210a4454883(sha256)
[FAILED] app-install-data-postinstallerf-1.0-13.fc21.noarch.rpm: No more mirrors to try - All mirrors were already tried without success
Error: Error downloading packages:
Cannot download app-install-data-postinstallerf-1.0-13.fc21.noarch.rpm: All mirrors were tried

Same issue as broadstairs?

I should add that all seems well with postinstallerf under Fedora 22.

debo2011
31st July 2015, 06:49 PM
Here's what I get when I try to install this program under Fedora 21 I686.

Same issue as broadstairs?

I should add that all seems well with postinstallerf under Fedora 22.

Hi glennzo, yes is serious problem! Sourceforge experienced a storage fault; and I can't upload the new package :( ; but I hope tomorrow it will available for all.

http://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge-infrastructure-and-service-restoration-update-for-728/

My last option would COPR. But there is very limited, and I can not pack most packages, provided by PostInstallerF :(

bob
23rd June 2016, 11:20 AM
David, used your script for F24 Gnome and it's generally working very well, however dnf updates now shows:

Skipping packages with broken dependencies:
gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld x86_64 1.8.1-4.fc24 postinstallerf 178 k

Looks like a tweak is indicated.

debo2011
24th June 2016, 03:54 AM
Hi! thanks, I am updating now to 1.8.2; and it will solved the problem, gstreamer1 updated to 1.8.2 and affected the package. :D

ossandon
26th June 2016, 12:11 AM
Hi! thanks, I am updating now to 1.8.2; and it will solved the problem, gstreamer1 updated to 1.8.2 and affected the package. :D

is rpmfusion necessary to use postinstallerf? When will 1.8.2 be ready?

debo2011
26th June 2016, 04:30 AM
is rpmfusion necessary to use postinstallerf? When will 1.8.2 be ready?

Short answer: No. rpmfusion is necessary for some tasks in PostinstallerF (but not a dependency); if you see gstreamer1 isn't part of rpmfusion, gstreamer1-devel is necessary if you want compile all gstreamer1-plugins... Why I provide a 'gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld' in postinstallerf? well for "gstreamer1-plugin-openh264" the future...

dnf provides gstreamer1
dnf provides gstreamer1-devel

lsatenstein
26th June 2016, 07:09 PM
Coming soon ;)

I'm on F24. I click on mp4's and I get sound only.

I am able to dual boot Chapeau Linux F23, and view my mp4's. Any ideas about getting video to work?

antikythera
26th June 2016, 07:17 PM
is ffmpeg-libs installed leslie? if not try installing that rpm

smr54
26th June 2016, 07:46 PM
What player do you use, and it does it play x265 (HEVC) videos? This isn't yet consistent across distributions, and mplayer, at least, is usually able to play everything, but, for example, most Ubuntu offshoots have a version of mplayer that won't play x265 video. Their mpv will. At one point, Fedora's mpv wouldn't, but it does in its latest iteration.

To see if it's x265 encoded, if you have ffmpeg installed, you can run ffprobe -hide_banner <filename>.

If it does show that it's x265 (hevc) encoded, you may need a different player.

debo2011
26th June 2016, 11:56 PM
rpmfusion-non-free isn't complete in this moment; but all can install unitedrpms (https://unitedrpms.github.io/) , repository ;)

bob
27th June 2016, 11:33 AM
Before installing unitedrpms, I'd carefully read the description. Personally, there are things there that disturb me.

BkkLQ
5th October 2016, 11:23 AM
I'd also be careful with PostInstallerF, it has some major security flaws:

1. the .repo files disables GPG checks: repo_gpgcheck=0

2. some scripts (e.g. the RPMFusion installer) use --nogpgcheck without checking the signature of packages downloaded.

3. Some files are downloaded from an unencrpyted (HTTP instead of HTTPS) connection and no signatures are checked.

So as a general rule, don't ever open metadata files or run applications or installers for an insecure connection. To make a connection secure you should at least download it through HTTPS (and check the certificate validity) or check the signature (PGP or S/MIME) against a known key downloaded through a secure connection.

There are some more quality issues in this script, for example:

* the postinstaller will fail if a /tmp/.pictures folder already exists and is owned by different user. You should use mktemp instead.

* the "gnome" script is using zenity to get the password for sudo, but it is unclear whether to input the root or user password. Instead you should use pkexec, which you do sometimes.

* the software is inconsistent about using yad vs. using zenity. One of them should be enough.

If you want me to have a more detailled look at this software, please leave me a personal message.

debo2011
13th January 2017, 05:33 AM
Welcome your help, clone and make a pull request ;)
https://github.com/kuboosoft/postinstallerf