PDA

View Full Version : Single User Mode

webfedor
1st June 2004, 09:17 AM
How do you get into Single User Mode on Fedora, I have a problem right now that FSCK must be run, however, it is requesting to enter my root passwd, however, I do not have it, so I want to try to reboot it in single user mode then run it...

Any suggestions ?

parityerror
1st June 2004, 09:41 AM
This doc from RedHat pretty much covers it based on the boot loader you are using:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-7.3-Manual/custom-guide/s1-rescuemode-booting-single.html

webfedor
1st June 2004, 09:49 AM
The problem is there is no graphical mode in Fedora

parityerror
1st June 2004, 02:01 PM
Which boot loader are you using grub or lilo?

webfedor
1st June 2004, 05:26 PM
Lilo

parityerror
1st June 2004, 08:26 PM
you should simply be able to do at the lilo prompt:

linux single

or replace linux with whatever your label is. If you don't know then press tab to see the different boot labels available.

webfedor
2nd June 2004, 02:53 AM
The problem is that when the system is booting it does the following:

Lilo.... (then it goes right into the boot sequence, how do I stop it at that point.. With RedHat it was easy, it would take you to the graphical interface and you could easily hit ctrl-x

parityerror
2nd June 2004, 05:30 AM
Whats probably happened is either you have a very small timeout or you don't have "prompt" specified in your lilo.conf. So its immediately booting the kernel. I don't know how you could stop the kernel from booting to show you the boot prompt. I'd suggest booting into rescue mode from a Fedora install cd. And modify your lilo.conf file to include prompt or a sufficiently high enough timeout.