PDA

View Full Version : Can't open "File System" in file manager

lonewolfsx
23rd October 2012, 09:12 PM
So after finding a workaround and fixing permissions regarding my external Hd problem from earlier, I now cannot access the "file system." I still have access to the desktop and my user folder, as well as links I had already made to folders such as "www" within the "var" which is direction inside the root file system. However, I cannot access the root directory to see the other folders inside (like "mnt"). How do I change the permissions of the root directory?

I tried using chmod on /root, both from the "~" terminal and also from the "dev" directory. What am I missing here? or do I need to reboot as root user to fix this?

sea
23rd October 2012, 10:17 PM
What is the exact output of:

ls /

Penguinclaw
24th October 2012, 12:12 AM
Why do you want to change permissions of directories in /? They belong to root for security reasons and unix tradition. Mucking around here will be a BIG mistake.

sea
24th October 2012, 12:43 AM
As far as i understand the OP he wants to make them belong to root again, since he has for some weird reason no access to it.
Thus the exact error message (if any) might help.

WHOOOOOPS

Be aware...
* root file system = /
* root home = /root = the adminuser home.
* userhome = /home/$USER

/root is ment to be 'empty'.
Do not place anything in it.

As you talked about www in var, i just want to make sure you're talking about: /var/www/
And not about /root/var/www ??

lonewolfsx
24th October 2012, 02:22 AM
What is the exact output of:

ls /

In regular terminal that says "ls: cannot open directory /: Permission denied"
As sudo, it lists the folders "bin dev home lib64 media...." etc. etc. as it should.

And derp, I tried all of these different combinations but I never tried to change permissions of "/." I got it, I had to run "sudo chmod 755 /"

I'm not sure what the original permissions were, but 755 seems about right. I didn't use recursive so the folders inside still have their correct permissions, so security wise I should still be fine. Thanks Sea, I knew I was missing something super obvious.. :C

I wasn't trying to "change" the permissions to root, I was trying to fix them as I obviously corrupted something before. I'd been able to access the "/" folder before then after making some changes I couldn't.

---------- Post added at 09:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

As far as i understand the OP he wants to make them belong to root again, since he has for some weird reason no access to it.
Thus the exact error message (if any) might help.

WHOOOOOPS

Be aware...
* root file system = /
* root home = /root = the adminuser home.
* userhome = /home/$USER

/root is ment to be 'empty'.
Do not place anything in it.

As you talked about www in var, i just want to make sure you're talking about: /var/www/
And not about /root/var/www ??

Yeah that's exactly right, I should've had access to the "/" folder and always have in the past, just didn't after troubleshooting another problem I was having.

/root is empty, so that's good. I was referring to /var/www/, I have a link to that folder on my desktop and could still access that, just couldn't access the level up from /var/.

sea
24th October 2012, 03:56 AM
Cool, glad it helped.
Dont forget to mark the thread solved. ty ;)