PDA

View Full Version : Desktop fedora 16

siickboii
19th October 2012, 01:08 PM
I need some help understanding something my machine is doing. Ok I have fedora 16 on a laptop. And Sometimes when I boot system or reboot my desktop changes from the factory style. It affects the menu windows. and the icons on the for lack of a better word the start bar. I have been updating and installing programs but cant say for sure this is the reason. I have notice more choices to click on in the grub at boot..

JamesNZ
20th October 2012, 01:05 AM
The only thing I can think of is that you have an Nvidia card and the kmods don't compile immediately after you update the kernel. Next time the system looks weird try running this as root:
akmods If the output is 'Failed' then run:
akmods --force

Assuming you have an Nvidia card and are using the proprietary drivers ;)

siickboii
20th October 2012, 06:01 AM
The only thing I can think of is that you have an Nvidia card and the kmods don't compile immediately after you update the kernel. Next time the system looks weird try running this as root:
akmods If the output is 'Failed' then run:
akmods --force

Assuming you have an Nvidia card and are using the proprietary drivers ;)

I ran that and this is results.....
Checking kmods exist for 3.4.11-1.fc16.x86_64 [ OK ]

what does that show?:confused:

JamesNZ
20th October 2012, 07:42 AM
I ran that and this is results.....
Checking kmods exist for 3.4.11-1.fc16.x86_64 [ OK ]

what does that show?:confused:

Ok, that means that the kmods for your kernel version have been built. Next time the system goes weird run that command again.

Kmods are software interfaces between the kernel and the driver, they only work with one kernel version which is why they have to be rebuilt every time the kernel is updated. And that's what akmods is for, it should automatically rebuild the kmods every time the kernel is updated. But I'm guessing that for some reason it isn't doing this immediately after the update (as it should).

BTW the extra choices on the grub menu are the previous kernels. That can come in handy if your system breaks for some reason, then you can just boot into the previous kernel.