PDA

View Full Version : "No GRLDR" message after F18 installation...

Maxxi
30th September 2012, 06:36 PM
I just clicked through the LiveCD installation... I also have another Windows installation, it would be awesome if that didn't get wrecked... oh well, but anyway: What is this? I picked the recommended disk setup (I think??), because it seemed okay, it had the correct /home and windows root points, but it was a really confusing UI.

Anyway, what's up with the "GRLDR" thing?

EDIT: oh, it doesn't boot. It's just a black screen with that message.

stoat
30th September 2012, 08:05 PM
grldr is the main boot loader file of the GRUB For DOS boot loader. It usually is placed in the root directory of a Windows system (but it can go in any compatible partition). It functions to read the menu.lst file (also in that directory) and present the GRUB For DOS boot menu. The message "No grldr" appears at 0xbd0 of grldr.mbr which is what GRUB For DOS embeds in the master boot record. The grldr.mbr code in the MBR functions to find, load, and execute grldr.

hexdump -Cv grldr.mbr | grep -i 'no grldr'
00000bd0 4e 6f 20 67 72 6c 64 72 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |No grldr........|So. Were you using the GRUB For DOS boot loader or one of its related boot loaders? One possible explanation is the Fedora system got installed in the partition that used to contain the grldr and menu.lst files. If the master boot record was spared, then it would look for grldr, not find it, stop, and print that message. Just one explanation.

Maxxi
30th September 2012, 10:09 PM
Hm thank you, that must have been what happened. I reinstalled and this time it proposed a better partition table for some reason.