PDA

View Full Version : Firefox will not work on certain sites

edward_c
28th September 2012, 07:32 PM
I'm running Fedora 15 x86_64 and am having problems with certain web sites getting them to function properly. They work fine from firefox on windows 7 and from firefox on ubuntu 12_04 but not from fedora 15 firefox 12.0. One site is the ameritrades.com and another is login.prudential.com. I can get some functionality but not everthing works on these pages. However as stated they work fine from Ubuntu and Windows 7 with Firefox.

I realize I could just switch from Fedora to Ubuntu but I like Gnome desktop better than the Unity desktop. Not in love with either but I perfer Gnome to Unity at this time.

I also realize that I can upgrade to Fedora 16 and 17 but that's a lot of work to get everything back to working again. I have only upgraded from Fedora 8 about a year ago.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

marko
28th September 2012, 07:47 PM
The ameritrades.com one loaded for me ok on Fedora 17 64bit with Firefox 15 (firefox-15.0.1-1.fc17.x86_64).

Trying login.prudential.com works too but I get a warning that the link is obsolete and to use the link for the current page. I never got that to work because using the link to the current page goes to

http://www.prudential.com/globallogin?src=bookmark

and I just get the same warning again. But the page itself loads and seems to be the login page besides the inserted warning.
But digging around on that page I found this URL:

http://www.prudential.com/globallogin?quadr=topright&name=allloginoptions

which seems to get a general login page

PabloTwo
28th September 2012, 07:54 PM
....One site is the ameritrades.com and another is login.prudential.com. I can get some functionality but not everthing works on these pages.
I have no idea about "login.prudential.com", but much of the "functionality" at Ameritrade requires java. At various points in the past, the Fedora supplied java JDK package would work with Ameritrade, but at other times not. You don't mention what doesn't work, so maybe it's a java issue, or maybe not.

I've always used Oracle/Sun java on my Fedora systems and have no problem running any of the java apps at the Ameritrade site. I'm currently running F16.x86_64 with Oracle/Sun java (rpm package) jre-1.7.0_07-fcs.x86_64.

Edit: And I hope you mean "ameritrade.com" and not "ameritrades.com".

edward_c
28th September 2012, 08:07 PM
I can get logged in fine on each site but once there I can't get certain links to work (not all but quite a few) and they all work from the Ubuntu and Windows Firefox. I thought maybe there was a difference in the setup of the browsers and I can see some in about:config but nothing that I have tried has given any success.

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

In reply to PabloTwo, I agree and I switched from OpenJDK to Sun/Oracle Java and that did get some links to work but not everything.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

On the Ameritrades page once logged in the box that shows positions just displays as a box with the word positions but no graph. In the watch list if you mouse over a stock symbol it should display a chart of the stocks daily performance but it just spins and finally give a 404 error.

---------- Post added at 03:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

Sorry PableTwo, you are correct it is "ameritrade.com".

PabloTwo
28th September 2012, 08:23 PM
Well, On my Ameritrade home page I don't have an empty box labeled positions. Under "Watch Lists", I show the top 5 positions with the greatest gain/loss from the previous close, as that's how I have it setup. Hovering over any of those 5 doesn't bring up a chart, but clicking on any of the stock symbols takes me to a "Research and Ideas" page with all the info on that stock.

Also, I'm using google-chrome at the current time, and don't often use firefox much these days. Maybe you should click on the "Edit" link on your "Watch Lists" layout and see how you have that setup. I should also add that I log into an Ameritrade "Apex" account, which might vary somewhat from what you're presented with. In any case, the last time I did login there using firefox, it all worked OK, just as it does in google-chrome.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:19 PM ----------

Another thought: Are you using the NoScript extension? If you are, you've got to tell NoScript to allow any javascript stuff on the Ameritrade site.

edward_c
28th September 2012, 08:35 PM
In my profile I have it set to display my positions in a chart that is color coded as to the days gains or losses, this used to work in fedora 8 with firefox. The "Watch Lists" functionality I talking about is under "Accounts" -> "Watch Lists". If you hover your mouse over a ticker symbol it should bring up a chart but if you click the symbol it should take you to "Research and Ideas". From the main screen at the top if I select "Research and Ideas" -> "Markets" this is what I get:

Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at research.ameritrade.com.

Check the address for typing errors such as
ww.example.com instead of
www.example.com
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:34 PM ----------

I didn 't follow your thought about "NoScript". How do I check that?

Dan
28th September 2012, 08:43 PM
Not related to the immediate problem, but worth inserting here that JAVA has been the recent victim of several serious vulnerabilities and exploits.

See here for details, and it's my opinion that it is well worth signing up for the alerts. http://www.us-cert.gov/

PabloTwo
28th September 2012, 08:50 PM
I didn 't follow your thought about "NoScript". How do I check that?
NoScript is a Firefox extension. If you don't know what it is, then you almost certainly never installed it.
If it were installed, then you'd click on Tools > Add-ons > Extensions to see it. Plus, if were installed you'd have noticed it's pop-up warning already.

edward_c
28th September 2012, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Dan.

Will do!

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

You are correct PabloTwo, not installed.

PabloTwo
28th September 2012, 09:00 PM
Well, could it be that W7 and Ubuntu 12_04 are both using newer versions of Firefox, e.g. 15, and that version 12 in F15 is now encumbered at those sites due to known security flaws? You could always install the latest ff version direct from Mozilla on your F15 system and see it that changes anything.

edward_c
28th September 2012, 09:07 PM
Interesting, I just checked Ubuntu 12.04 and it is using Firefox 15.0.1. I maybe should just install the firefox 15. Question: Can I upgrade the installed browser or will I have to install new and move my bookmarks and etc. over manually?

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

The ameritrade site did stop java popups from running until you were off java 6 which was standard for F15. I moved to jdk7u7.

PabloTwo
28th September 2012, 09:35 PM
Well, F15 has gone EOL (End Of Life) now so there are no more software updates beyond what you can get with a "yum update firefox" from the regular F15 repos. The last ff build for F15 on koji (http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=325860) is firefox-13.0.1. It's possible Remi has a ff repo for F15, I'll have to check.

But no, you can install the current ff v15.01 tarball from Mozilla into it's own directory (nothing to compile) and just create a desktop link to the binary to run it. All of your ff settings are in your home directory, and will be recognized and used by the version 15, so you don't have to do anything about your settings and/or bookmarks.

I always tended to install the ff tarball into the /opt directory when I was using that method. Heck, the other day, just for s**ts and giggles, I booted into F12, and realized it was still using ff v8, so I replaced that with v15.0.1, which runs just fine on my 32 bit F12 install on another hdd.

---------- Post added at 04:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:20 PM ----------

OK... run this command as root:

rpm -Uvh http://rpms.famillecollet.com/remi-release-15.rpm
And then try a "yum update firefox" as root and see what flies.

---------- Post added at 04:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Ok, slight modification needed here: run this command after you install the remi repo:

yum --enablerepo=remi update firefox
Should give you v15.0.1

edward_c
28th September 2012, 09:55 PM
I updated my firefox to 15.0.1 and I still have the same behavior. Remi had an rpm for F15. My other machine(Ubuntu) is a 32 bit machine. Do you think it could be a 32/64 bit issue?

PabloTwo
28th September 2012, 09:57 PM
And another thought in the vein of NoScript.... do you have any type of pop-up blocker add-on or extension added to your Firefox install? I seem to recall now that on Ameritrade, using firefox, I had to click on something to allow pop-ups on this site before everything worked OK.

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

No, I don't think it would be a 32/64 bit issue. Watch for any notifications from ff when you click/hover something that you expect to do something that doesn't. Sometimes it's easy to miss, as it's usually a new toobar that pops up with that info.

edward_c
28th September 2012, 10:34 PM
I have been clicking around and it seems that the missing chart on the home page is the same problem as the "Research and Ideas". If I click on the box where the chart should be I get a popup window with that same error that I attached earlier. For each link that appears after I click "Research and Ideas" I get the same error. All the other menu options across the top seem to work just fine.

Still puzzled but I must put it down for today as I have other engagements to deal wilth.

Thanks so much for your help. If you think of anything else please just post it as I will be checking again in the morning.

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

Clarification:: The links that don't function after clicking "Research and Ideas" are on the line just below the main line that contains "Research and Ideas". Hope that didn't confuse it more.