PDA

View Full Version : Howto install WINDOWS on Linux?

wprauchholz
1st December 2004, 10:47 AM
Is there a good procedure out there explaining step by step how to install WINDOWS after LINUX has already been installed for dual-boot?? I am running under FC3

imdeemvp
1st December 2004, 11:55 AM
Not that I know. Is your linux installation using the entire drive?

wprauchholz
1st December 2004, 12:25 PM
Yes, I would need to re-partition the HD. That is one of the things I am not cretain how to do.

jgionet
1st December 2004, 02:06 PM
normally the best way to do this is to install Windows first then install Linux. Doing it the other way around can be very complicated and Windows always seems to mess things up.

bobotaito
1st December 2004, 02:22 PM
For the re-partitioning, you can try some partition tools : PQ Magic or Paragon Partition Manager... I'm not sure if you can resize existing Ext2 or Ext3 without problems.

After repartitioning, install Windows as usual, and you will lost GRUB boot loader. To restore boot loader you must boot to rescue environment and modify file /etc/grub.conf to add Windows to grub boot list, by adding something like this :

title Windows
rootnoverify (hd0,0) <-- Here is what you must change.
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

After that running grub-install from /sbin/ and your GRUB boot loader with be reloaded.

Give a try and good luck.

imdeemvp
2nd December 2004, 09:00 AM
You can use expensive tool like partition magic or partition commander or this for linux: http://www.partimage.org/index.en.html

telmo
24th December 2004, 09:23 PM
I would advise you to use Acronis Partition Expert... it's much safer than Norton Partition Magic ;)

robghealey
26th December 2004, 12:36 AM
As for disk partitioning it is easy to qt_parted as part of the Sytem Rescue CD. Here is live bootable cd can be found here...http://www.sysresccd.org/

It is true that it is easier to install M$ Windoze then linux. Some poeple have said to allow ntldr to run as the boot loader for the dual boot, but I have let grub do it and it works great for me.