View Full Version : [SOLVED] No sound output from audio players but audio from flash exists

24th September 2012, 09:04 PM
I am having a very weird problem with my laptop since last night. Every time I login and start some music player (or even if I don't), everything is normal for a few minutes. After those initial few minutes, the sound is completely dead from the music players and sound settings under GNOME/Cinnamon do not show any device as being recognized.

I was wondering if pulseaudio crashed and tried to restart it - no use. Here is what I saw.

# pulseaudio --start

N: [pulseaudio] main.c: User-configured server at {96b4dc501e4113f6e74f263d0000001c}unix:
/home/username/.pulse/96b4dc501e4113f6e74f263d0000001c-runtime/native, which appears to be local. Probing deeper.
E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Daemon startup failed.

Also, this

# pulseaudio -k && pulseaudio --start

E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to kill daemon: No such process

However, when I play a video (from youtube, for example) in Firefox, there are no problems with audio - it plays normally.

# alsamixer -c 0

Shows me all the available sound devices and is responsive when I change the sound. But sound output is present. This happens with both headphones and speakers. Both work fine with flash.

# lspci

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation HDMI Audio stub (rev a1)

Long story! My question, how can I fix this sound instabilty? Any suggestions would be appreaciated. Thanks in advance.

24th September 2012, 11:59 PM
Some further information --

Based on pulseaudio man pages,

Return 0 as return code when the PulseAudio daemon is already running for the calling user, or non-zero otherwise. Produces no output on the console except for errors to stderr.

$ pulseaudio --check; echo $?

Also, pulseaudio --log-level=4 output is attached (loong file). I am not sure if I am going in the proper direction.

25th September 2012, 05:54 PM
Furthermore, based on what I read elsewhere, I added my user account to pulse, pulse-access and audio. That does not seem to help either.

Flash/Browser audio is still fine. Absolutely no problems! A screenshot of the sound settings from gnome control panel is attached.

26th September 2012, 04:13 PM
The problem turned out be rather elementary! I was meddling with emptying the /tmp folder recently. It so happened that I had set the /tmp to be emptied every few minutes to test something and forgot to change it!

Apparently, pulseaudio puts some files in /tmp and it was duly wiped out every few minutes. This caused a pulse audio crash and also prevented it from restarting (somehow). I changed it back to 30d as it was before (I do not have any disk space worries!) and now everything works fine! Phew! :)

$ diff tmp2.conf tmp.conf

< d /tmp 1777 root root 30d
> d /tmp 1777 root root 10min

This thread is hereby being marked as "SOLVED".