PDA

View Full Version : Switching betweet tty's

ArthurWozniak
21st September 2012, 09:17 PM
Hi!
I am running a Beefy Miracle about a week (a few years I was an Ubuntu user) and now I have a problem with switching tty's. I can move to different tty from graphical session (tty2), but after that there is no way to get back. Also switching to different tty, such as tty3 or tty4 takes without a problem one minute of pressing combination Ctrl+Alt+F3. Only way to get back to graphical session is logging into a tty (keyboard is still working, but I think that handler script is buggy) and type sudo killall Xorg. I have Thinkpad Edge E330 and it is not keyboard problem - I have tried an external keyboard and the problem was still there. This happens all the time. Also sometimes when I want to get to grub, it freezes too. But there is no way to boot so I have to power off my notebook by long pressing power button. In grub does not work single keys. I have tried to find some answers for this, but with no result.

Thank you for advices.

jpollard
22nd September 2012, 12:07 AM
Works fine - Alt-F8 or F7 should do it.

The Ctrl-Alt-Fx is only needed to switch out of X. Switching back is just Alt-F(x) going to the terminal used by X. But the terminals also recognize the Ctrl-Alt-Fx.

Now WHICH terminal that is varies. On F16 that was supposed to F7... But doing enough restarts (or something) and it will go to F8.

It depends on whether the X server startup believes the terminal is busy. If it is, then it goes to the next sequential one. If that one is busy, then the next.

tty1 is sometimes not busy--- but is used for boot logs, hence may be busy when X starts (thanks to systemd...) tty2,3,4,5,6 are usually busy (login requested) That leaves tty7/8/9/10/11/12 available.

On my system a fresh boot will start the GUI on tty7. But a login and a logout frequently (not always) goes to tty8.

ArthurWozniak
22nd September 2012, 10:37 AM
Thank you, you are right. I thought that command for switch is Ctrl+Alt+Fx, not Alt+Fx. So tty switching is solved. Now I have to find why grub freezes sometimes.