PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to 'alacarte' menu editor

eldiener
5th August 2012, 08:05 PM
'Alacarte' is filled with bugs and things which simply do not work. Try simply moving a menu item up or down and watch it disappear. Try finding a menu item in alacarte when it appears in the menu within a certain sub-menu and either does not appear in alacarte at all or appears beneath a different submenu. That's only the tip of the iceberg. You'll find a plethora of bug reports for it in bugzilla. It is just really irritating to use.

Is there an alternative menu editor that actually works with FC17 and Gnome3 in a consistent fashion ?

deanej
5th August 2012, 08:16 PM
No idea. The gnome devs all want us to create .desktop files from the command line (never mind that .desktop files won't work unless you do it right, and there's no documentation of how to do that, and looking at the existing ones is no help).

nonamedotc
5th August 2012, 11:14 PM
No idea. The gnome devs all want us to create .desktop files from the command line (never mind that .desktop files won't work unless you do it right, and there's no documentation of how to do that, and looking at the existing ones is no help).

While I agree that 'alacarte' or any other menu editor would be much more convenient, I do not think editing/creating a .desktop file is particularly bad. In my opinion/experience, the documentation available has been quite helpful to create/edit desktop menu items. Whenever something has not worked for me, it has been my mistake (typo, etc).

Here is the .desktop file documentation I have used when needed (considering alacarte is woefully broken, sigh!)

.desktop documentation (http://library.gnome.org/admin/system-admin-guide/stable/menustructure-desktopentry.html.en)

deanej
6th August 2012, 12:20 AM
Well, the one time I tried to create a .desktop file for Dr. Scheme, I could never get it to show up in the menu despite following the instructions in some other tutorial. Granted, this was with Fedora 15 (just before 16 came out), and at the time I knew very little about managing Linux; in fact, I'm still used to the Windows way of changing things by finding the control panel applet and changing check boxes, drop down menus, etc.!

eldiener
6th August 2012, 02:24 AM

It is irrelevant if I can create .desktop files or not if there is no good way to add them into the Gnome3 menu system. That is why I asked if there was an alternative to 'alacarte'. Or maybe Gnome just enjoys it if an end-user attempt to manage the Gnome3 menu system is largely broken or works very poorly.

TK492
6th August 2012, 05:10 AM
I'm not 100% sure if it will be able to do everything that you are requiring, but I have had much luck with LXDE Menu Editor (or LXMED (http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/)) to remove unwanted entries in my Applications page (whereas alacarte wouldn't even start).

Hope this helps!