PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Linux...

AliOop
29th November 2004, 08:43 AM
Sometime ago I mentioned my foray into Slackware. I've since dropped it. It took too much work for my meager mind to cope with. Please, hold the flames down. WhiIe I have professed my undying devotion to Fedora I still playing around with other distros. I've come across one such distro that may severely test that devoation.

I guess everyone has heard of Ubuntu by now. It's a Debian based light weight distro that came out recently. It's been climbing the Distrowatch chart and with good reason. This is my account of that distro.

The PC I'm working with is a Dell OptiPlex, PIII 550 MHz processor with 256k of ram. Not what one would call cutting edge equipment. Still my installation went smoothly and without problems. Except, and there is always one of those, for my legacy sound card. Try as I could, I could not get the ISA sound card to work. My solution was to purchase a cheap ($15) SB compatable PCI sound card. Ubuntu had no problem with it and I had my sound. All hardware was recognized and working with the exception of a extermal USB Iomega CD burner. But I've had problems with that burner with every distro I've tried so maybe it's not Ubuntu's fault. No problems with the printer, a HP DeskJet 932C. Works just fine.

Light weight is one of the points mentioned in other reviews and in my opinion a selling point. One of each is what you get. One editor, one office suite, one IM program, one etc. You get the point. But because it a debian based distro you can apt-get install what you want. Ubuntu has their own repositortes and they recommend you use them. But I've since installed several non-Ubuntu packages without any problems. I can't say this will work with all of the programs in the Debian repositories and they do warn you but I think it's a good sign. Of course being a debian distro it comes with Synaptic/Apt. What a program manager it is. The ease of installing and removing software couldn't be easier. It comes with the latest Gnome 2.8. That alone is worth the price of admission. 2.8 it just fabulous.

So far it's got all I need right out of the 'box' with the exception of multi-media. With the help of a friendly forum I was able to comfigure my box and view all, and I do mean all, forms of streaming videos- WMA, .mov, mpg, mpeg and avi. That was a chore. But it's done.

I have to commend the Ubuntu forum because without them I would have had a harder time. The site has a great HowTo section. With it I've been able to install flash, Java, the multi-media, tweak fonts, Realplayer and several other things with ease. Heck, I've even got my Logitech thumb button working. A wealth of information and help.

I know it's not much a review but I have to say I'm greatly impressed with Ubuntu. For being the first version, this distro has great potential. It's one to keep an eye on. I see good things for Ubuntu in the future.

fjleal
29th November 2004, 09:24 AM
Ubuntu is a great distro, much lighter than Fedora. It still has to mature: the setup program fails to detect a lot of hardware (specially legacy one). Even in new systems, it sometimes doesn't run (like my laptop - it just stops, can't tell why). When used as a NIS client, remote users from the NIS server can't format a floppy disk (why?!?).

But it is a first release, and in my "old" PII 400 laptop with 256 MB ram, it runs smoothly. Apt works surprisingly well. It's a nice, comfortable, light system. And 100% free, too! ;)

imdeemvp
29th November 2004, 09:32 AM
Nice to hear your opinion. I have not try it yet but I have heard good reviews about. They even offer you a free ubuntu cd: http://shipit.ubuntulinux.org/

cscheng
29th November 2004, 10:53 AM
I have tried the Live CD and it works really fast, even from CD. I would recommend this to people with slower machines and want to switch to Linux. Fedora is still too much configuration (multimedia etc.) and it is not the fastest distro around. I have worked for quite some time with Fedora, and it works for me. There's no reason for me to change distro. Ubuntu also have the main 'Gnome issues' (menu editing, mime types etc.), and if they fix these things in the future and have full-featured multimedia support, that might be a reason for me to switch to Ubuntu. :)

inha
29th November 2004, 10:33 PM
I'm currently on ubuntu too. I had built myself a really nicely working gentoo system before trying ubuntu. And I didn't even break it yet, sheer curiosity just got the best of me.

So far I'm liking it. I had some issues with getting my printer to work but a reboot fixed that. A windows fix to a linux problem.. ugh. The best part about it is the massive amount of software available via apt-get when you add the debian repositories. There is no neutrino or gnomad2 package in the stable repos which is like absolutely horrible since I have to type out make, ./configure and make install.

I still want to try atleast slack, mepis and core 3. Goddamn distrofever. I bet there's even more I should try... Distrowatch, here I come!

kbradl1
30th November 2004, 06:27 PM
I tried ubuntu and have liked it so far. Fedoras huge size and it multitude of programs, using a mix of KDE, Gnome and Redhat built utilities sometimes makes me feel like I am using a system patched together with duct tape.

What I like
Ubuntu seems to boot faster for me.
Synaptic/Apt is great.
Nice small size.

My only complaint so far is it didn't detect and install my via-rhine II gigabit ethernet card. So I have to figure out how to get it installed.

taylor65
30th November 2004, 06:41 PM
OK, so I've read this thread and some reviews on Ubuntu, and everything is positive. Has anybody installed Ubuntu on a PC with WinXP and FC3 already installed? I'd like to install Ubuntu as a 3rd OS on a PC (I have a 200GB drive, so space isn't an issue), and have only dual-booted so far. Any suggestions on this would be appreciated.

inha
30th November 2004, 09:29 PM
It's not a big deal. Just print your current grub.conf, install ubuntu and emember to be careful with the partitioning and add the fedora entry into your new grub.conf.

pkands
30th November 2004, 09:59 PM
Just add this to your grub.conf. ***change the partition info (hd0,1) as needed. Worked for me.

title Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.8.1-3-686
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.8.1-3-686 root=/dev/hda2 ro quiet splash apm=off acpi=on
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.8.1-3-686
savedefault
boot

(Assuming you don't let ubuntu install grub)

MikeyMike
1st December 2004, 05:52 AM
i got it installed tripple booting

ps does anyone kno where the kernel source package is cause i need it... for ndiswrapper

imdeemvp
1st December 2004, 09:11 AM

ps does anyone kno where the kernel source package is cause i need it... for ndiswrapper
You can ask for help in their forums: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/community/forums/

inha
1st December 2004, 10:21 AM
one correction to my previous post. there's no grub.conf but a menu.lst in /boot/grub. I had a slight moment of freaking out when I just tried to edit it without checking the directory and opened an empty file.

fjleal
1st December 2004, 12:34 PM

Install the kernel development packages (Add/Remove Applications) and ndiswrapper will find it.

Psquared
2nd December 2004, 07:38 PM
I just downloaded Ubuntu and I want to install it alongside FC2 and XP and have the ability to select which OS to boot into using Grub. (or LiLo for that matter)

I have a lot of data on both FC2 and XP so I definitely don't want to lose access to either. However, from what I have read I am petrified to try this.

Right now my 80 gig harddrive is divided equally between XP and FC2. What I prefer to do is to take part of FC2's 40 gigs and divide it in half to be used by Ubuntu and FC2. (20 gigs each) I do NOT want to disturb the XP partition or jeopardize my access to it or the FC2 partition.

I have Partition Magic on XP, but it sees the FC2 partition as full. It won't let me resize it.

Also, when I installed FC2 I followed the precautions scrupulously by running the install with my harddrive parameters. That worked with FC2 and it did not disturb XP.

This seems more complex since I will be triple booting rather than dual booting.

Is there a safe and foolproof way to do this? (all my google searches have turned up nothing but horror stories - but I'm not ready to give up yet)

imdeemvp
3rd December 2004, 09:33 AM
If you dont have much experience with tripple booting I suggest to get an extra hd and install it there. Trust me I done it before and its not that easy.

inha
3rd December 2004, 10:21 AM
imdeemvp's advice is solid. HDs are pretty cheap. You can probably get an old 20 gig hd (which is quite enough for experimenting) for practically nothing.

sailor
3rd December 2004, 04:40 PM
I have just installed Ubunto (triple boot, winxp, fc and ubunto)...I let ubunto create the grub on mbr then added the fc entries to the /boot/grub/menu.lst ***print out your grub.conf for FC before you start!***
...all are working fine...
I too have been looking for the kernal source files so that I can install nvidia...the instructions on the page are not correct or don't work... I am missing something?
I am going to print them all and then try to follow step by step tonight...otherwise this is a slick distro.

inha
3rd December 2004, 07:04 PM
if you installed an architechture specific kernel afterwards you also have to install the linux-restricted package for the same arch. that's what I missed when I tried to install the nvidia drivers. it took me a while of searching the forums there to figure that out.

MikeyMike
3rd December 2004, 09:21 PM
I have just installed Ubunto (triple boot, winxp, fc and ubunto)...I let ubunto create the grub on mbr then added the fc entries to the /boot/grub/menu.lst ***print out your grub.conf for FC before you start!***
I too have been looking for the kernal source files so that I can install nvidia...the instructions on the page are not correct or don't work... I am missing something?
I am going to print them all and then try to follow step by step tonight...otherwise this is a slick distro.

if u didnt print out u can always mount ur fedora partition on a temp dir in ubuntu cd to boot

and put in the intirid and vmlinux i think thats the spelling

and nvidia is easy to install

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo apt-get install nvidiaglx-settings
sudo nvidia enable something

look in the starter guide for the exact detials

u can use the Gui if u wanted also enable all the repos u wont have any problems cause there ubuntus :)

If you dont have much experience with tripple booting I suggest to get an extra hd and install it there. Trust me I done it before and its not that easy.

yea i tripple boot with 2 hard drives

windows on /dev/hda

both linux partition ons /dev/hdb

totals to 140 GB

Psquared
3rd December 2004, 11:35 PM

Is this all on the same drive?
Did you resize your partitions beforehand or let the Ubuntu installer handle it?
Did you run the Ubuntu install with your harddrive parameters? (like you had to do when you installed FC2 with XP already installed?)

Thanks. :D

sailor
4th December 2004, 12:04 AM
I have 2 HD's (HD1 w/winxp and HD2 w/ FC3 & Ubuntu)...My drive was already partitioned(in win with Partition Magic)...I just used Ubuntu's manual partition option to format the partition and initialize the shared swap...
My second harddrive is partitioned into 2ea 40+ gig partitions and 1ea 500 meg swap
I have had 4-5 differret distros on the 3rd partition....with each new install I just delete and reformat the partition with the setup tools provided by each distro.

EDIT: Thanks Mikemike, I got the nvidia drivers working...needed to enable synaptic URI's that had the correct packages...then installed the nvidia-glx and settings ...very nice indeed...:)
Once I re-read the How-To it was clearer...:p

sailor
5th December 2004, 10:59 PM
I recently changed video cards(nvidia geforce fx 5500) and Ubuntu did not like it at all(looks like I will need to reinstall)...FC3 on the other hand had no complaints...

telmo
4th January 2005, 03:43 AM
HI! I'm back from Ubuntu... and i would like to say something about it...
Ubuntu is probably the best distro (not the most complete) i've tried, apart from some hardware imcompatibilities (what's normal). They have a great forum, wich looks like this one.
The instalation is not as 'pretty' as FC3, but it's pretty easy. It was the first distro to recognize my screen resolution (1280x800).
It's a great linux distribution.
I missed the RPM compatibility, but you get thousands(!) of great packages in Synaptic.
I'm talking about 'Warty', but i've also tried 'Hoary' (the most recent distro, still in beta stage) and let me just say... watchout FC3!

So, i'm back for now, but i will go back to Ubuntu in April, when they release the final version of Hoary. In fact, the only reason i'm coming back is that my sound didn't work great. Well... the sound was cracklin'...
Please don't think of me as a traitor :)

earobinson111
5th January 2005, 07:09 PM
guess i have to check out this ubento thing

mkoljack
1st May 2005, 09:45 AM
I want to install Kubuntu as a third OS and would appreciate help. Current setup:
hda1 -- Windows xp (ntfs)
hda2 -- Shared partition (fat32)
hdb -- cd rom
hdc1 -- Fedora boot partition
hdc2 -- Fedora (ext3)
hdc3 -- Linux swap
rest of hdc is unallocated (70 gigs)

What would be the correct steps? Do I need another boot part/swap part for kubuntu? Should I edit the existing grub.conf or install another one with the Kubuntu install? I also have an extra drive I could use if it's easier and more screw-up proof. I'm also a bit nervous because everything is working well. I want to do this to have another partition to rotate test OS. Thanks everyone for help. Mark