PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery

Akhil1
17th July 2012, 04:20 PM
I am new to fedora and i think i installed fedora over win 7.i had 4 partitions in win 7 and when fedora got installed it shows 244 Gb of free space, so did that mean i lost my data which was in win7.please help me is there any way to recover the lost data its very important to me.

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

guys please help me..

nonamedotc
17th July 2012, 04:26 PM
Can you boot in to windows? How did you partition your drive for fedora installation? How big is your HDD and how much space did you allocate to Fedora that it shows 244 GB now?

To see a list of partitions, try (as root)

fdisk -l /dev/sda

where sda is your primary hard disk.

If you formatted your hard disk fully (including windows partitions), then your data would probably be lost. It is always a good idea to backup before doing any installation unless on a new HDD.

Hope this helps.

Gareth Jones
17th July 2012, 06:33 PM
If you can't boot Windows and want to protect whatever data is left, I'd advise against booting into the installed Fedora.

Boot using a live CD, such as the one you installed from, and check the partitioning from there.

If you have installed Linux over Windows, you'll have to take pot-luck with what (if anything) is recoverable. TestDisk seems to be the generally preferred program for recovering files, but I've no experience with it.

Kernellinux
17th July 2012, 11:40 PM
There is software that can be used to recover data IF those parts of the hard disk haven't been over written. Best thing to do is immediately stop using that computer until you get the situation straightened out.

mikee
18th July 2012, 04:02 AM
Doesn't sound good.
Do you know how windows was partitioned before? (partition boundries?)
/var/log/anaconda.storage.log and/or /var/log/anaconda/anaconda.storage.log would say how fedora set up
the partitions.