PDA

View Full Version : Complete system freeze

ocratato
15th July 2012, 03:32 AM
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a complete system freeze occasionally?

I am running F16 on an Acer Aspire 5750 laptop with Intel graphics.

About once per week the machine just stops, becoming completely unresponsive and even the fan shuts down after a while, indicating to me that there is little, if any, CPU activity.

There is nothing in the logs at anything like the time of the events.

The machine is not being worked hard when these events occur, one time it was in screen save mode.

I don't currently have the ability to attempt a remote login.

The machine has proven reliable up until recently, and seems to correspond to the introduction of the 3.4 kernel. I have reverted back to a 3.3 kernel and will give it a few weeks to see if the problem re-occurs.

I have run a memtest to check memory - ok.

jims
15th July 2012, 04:58 AM
FWIW

Running 3.4.2-1.fc16.i686.PAE as a downgrade from 3.4.4-4.fc16.i686 (which I found wouldn't boot correctly). This may be due to having a system that has been upgraded in-place a few times since F12.

3.4.2-1.fc16 seems to work without hiccup and has been running (previously) for about a month. This is on a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ 2 with video Gallium 0.4 on ATI RS690. I've never gotten around to getting into 64 bit because I've found that PAE addresses all my needs. Maybe some rainy day ;-)

Best of luck on getting things going to your satisfaction!

Cheers!

ocratato
27th July 2012, 06:11 AM
An update for anyone watching...

I have been using a 3.3 kernel since the 15 July and there has been no further problem.

I am fairly convinced that something is wrong with 3.4.

ocratato
7th August 2012, 07:01 AM
And another update...

I updated to 3.4.6 on the 5th of August and switched over to it from the 3.3 kernel that has been running fine since 15 July.

The machine has just again locked up. I had set up the magic Alt-SysRq function, but it failed to work - had to resort to the power switch. So its back to 3.3 for now. I was hoping that Alt-SysRq would enable me to get some more info on what is going wrong.

If anyone has any suggestions on some way of diagnosing this I would love to hear from you.

ocratato
7th September 2012, 04:08 PM
This is getting a bit tedious.

Again I updated to the latest kernel, 3.4.9 on the 31st of August after running without problem on 3.3.7 since the 7th. It has just locked up yet again. As per previous notes there is no warning, the machine is lightly loaded and there is no response from Alt-SysRq actions.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how one might determine what is wrong??

ocratato
9th May 2013, 06:17 AM
For the benefit of anyone coming across this thread, the problem persists.

I am currently on F17 with 3.8.4-102.fc17.x86_64

The problem is that it locks up hard, only a power reset will recover. This makes determining what is broken a bit difficult.

Skull One
9th May 2013, 08:56 AM
Find a way to connect to the system by ssh: it will tell you if it is the system that crashed (connection impossible), or if it is the graphical output (remember, if X hangs, the keyboard become not responsive).

ocratato
9th May 2013, 12:20 PM
Find a way to connect to the system by ssh: it will tell you if it is the system that crashed (connection impossible), or if it is the graphical output (remember, if X hangs, the keyboard become not responsive).

Given that I cannot get any response from Alt-SysRq I don't think it is just X that has hung up. However, on my next shopping trip I will get a new hub (or switch) and see if I can establish a connection - was going to do something along those lines anyway.

Skull One
9th May 2013, 12:41 PM
I encountered this kind of problem with a deffective graphic card. Since it is X that handles the keyboard, Alt-SysRq or anything else become ineffective. In my case I was able to see, using an ssh connection, that the system was working perfectly, and found the errors in the logs. But the problem happened just after the loggin screen, or after 5 min of usage at the maximum.

ocratato
9th May 2013, 02:53 PM
I encountered this kind of problem with a deffective graphic card. Since it is X that handles the keyboard, Alt-SysRq or anything else become ineffective. In my case I was able to see, using an ssh connection, that the system was working perfectly, and found the errors in the logs. But the problem happened just after the loggin screen, or after 5 min of usage at the maximum.

My understanding is that the Alt-SysRq functionality can be used even when X has crashed: https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/sysrq.txt

(And, yes it is enabled on my system.)

Gareth Jones
9th May 2013, 03:04 PM
Magic SysRq is intercepted by the kernel at a low-level, so X can’t block it.

Skull One
9th May 2013, 04:11 PM
Good to know :). It really deserves the term 'magic'. :)

xhell
14th May 2013, 02:09 PM
I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing a complete system freeze occasionally?

I am running F16 on an Acer Aspire 5750 laptop with Intel graphics.

About once per week the machine just stops, becoming completely unresponsive and even the fan shuts down after a while, indicating to me that there is little, if any, CPU activity.

There is nothing in the logs at anything like the time of the events.

The machine is not being worked hard when these events occur, one time it was in screen save mode.

I don't currently have the ability to attempt a remote login.

The machine has proven reliable up until recently, and seems to correspond to the introduction of the 3.4 kernel. I have reverted back to a 3.3 kernel and will give it a few weeks to see if the problem re-occurs.

I have run a memtest to check memory - ok.

When you install system this run with nouveau driver, you need replace to native video card driver, make it in yumex first off all run prmfusion accordingly at your Fedora system RPMFUSION-FREE and RPMFUSION-non-free, then add video driver to support your computer.
You do not need perform any operation in terminal in F-18 it make automatically just reboot system.

ocratato
15th May 2013, 02:15 AM
When you install system this run with nouveau driver, you need replace to native video card driver, make it in yumex first off all run prmfusion accordingly at your Fedora system RPMFUSION-FREE and RPMFUSION-non-free, then add video driver to support your computer.
You do not need perform any operation in terminal in F-18 it make automatically just reboot system.

Thanks for your concern, however it is my understanding that nouveau is for NVidia graphics, but I am using Intel HD 3000 graphics.