PDA

View Full Version : FC17 - create launcher on Desktop

lightman47
14th July 2012, 08:50 PM
In this link http://fedoraproject.org/en/using/tutorials/launcher.html are the instructions for creating a new launcher on the desktop. The problem is that "Create Launcher" disappeared from my right-click on all my FC17 machines. Gnome-tweak-tool or gnome-session-properties doesn't seem to enable this - maybe I am missing something.

?? Did I miss something during install, or is this link just out of date ??

thx

DBelton
15th July 2012, 03:31 AM
You didn't miss anything. That link describes how to create a launcher in Gnome 2 which is now way out of date.

For now, open a terminal window and run (as your normal user)

gnome-desktop-item-edit --create-new `pwd`

Note.. the "backtiks" are the key to the left of your "1" key.. The one with the ~ and `

This should open you up a window to create the launcher.

Now, you do have nautilus set to handle the desktop? You won't see any launcher created on your desktop until you do.

To set nautilus to handle the desktop, install gnome-tweak-tool, it will show up in your applications as advanced system settings. Run it, and click on desktop in the left pane, and set have nautilus handle desktop to on in the right pane.

Dutchy
15th July 2012, 04:40 PM
Indeed, like DBelton says it has been gone since Gnome 3.2.
If you don't want to look up that custom code every time you want to create it put that code into a new file in ~/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts/ and make the file executable.
Then you get a Scripts sub menu in the right click context menu in Nautilus (and also on the desktop).

Let's hope the Gnome devs don't get rid of that too.

lightman47
15th July 2012, 06:12 PM
Indeed I have the Desktop managed by File Manager. I couldn't tolerate Gnome 3 without it.

Thank you much.

bg3075
21st July 2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks to DBelton and Dutchy! Works like a charm!