PDA

View Full Version : Dual booting fedora 17 & BT5 R2, Noob questions

unclebeaven
11th July 2012, 12:48 PM
Hey guys,

First post =), anyways id like to format my laptop and upgrade from BT5R2/win7 to Fedora 17/BT5R2.

First question is what to install first fedora or BT?
Do i need separate swap partitions or can they share one?
How do i add the second installation in grub? eg lets say i install F17 on one partition and BT5R2 on the other how do i edit grub? or will it just work?

Sorry if i sound like a complete tool but iv only every dealt with Linux/windows setups never a dual boot Linux setup.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated as i have goggled it however nothing really relates to what im trying to achieve.

Cheers,
Unclebeavz :dance:

nonamedotc
11th July 2012, 04:35 PM
Hey guys,

First post =), anyways id like to format my laptop and upgrade from BT5R2/win7 to Fedora 17/BT5R2.

First question is what to install first fedora or BT?

You can decide based on your needs. One way to do this would be this - Install backtrack first and install the bootloader (grub2) to its own partition, you can then install Fedora's grub to MBR and simply chainload BT.

Do i need separate swap partitions or can they share one?

I have used common swap partitions without problems. There should not be any problems (assuming simple setup - no encryption in one OS, etc.)

How do i add the second installation in grub? eg lets say i install F17 on one partition and BT5R2 on the other how do i edit grub? or will it just work?

This is an excellent guide to grub2 (http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/grub-2.html). Take a look at this page. I have found this very helpful.

Hope this helps. Cheers and welcome to the forum. :)

unclebeaven
12th July 2012, 01:36 AM
Thank you very much nonamedotc =)