PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Forgot root password

pratporetw
9th July 2012, 08:47 AM
I just forgot the root password of my system and having problems in resetting. Below are the things that i have already tried.

1. Some source on internet suggested to to press e at the grub menu and then appending the line starting with keyword "kernel" with "single". I did same but i didn't find any line having "kernel" keyword in it.

2. So, a friend of suggested me to append "single" in the line starting with initrd <some_name>.img. I did the same but nothing happened and just booted with GUI as normal.

3. As also suggested i tried appending "rw init=/bin/bash" like

initrd /boot/initramfs-3.4.2-1.fc16.i686.img rw init=/bin/bash

But this again booted it normally using GUI.

I am working on Fedora16.

Please suggest me how set back the password coz i dont want to reinstall the fedora.

george_toolan
9th July 2012, 11:39 AM
Try 3 instead of single at the end of the line which ends in rhgb and quiet or use a LiveCD.

Then you should be able to change he password with

passwd root

pratporetw
9th July 2012, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the reply but i got my problem solved by hit and trial method. I tried adding single to each and every line and found the line for which it is working. Actually in the older versions, kernel was loaded with the help of "kernel" command but i now command is "linux" for the same. so simply add any of the options above at the line starting with "linux".

This is just what i understood on my own. M not sure whether its right but it worked for me. :)

robertdaleweir
9th July 2012, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the reply but i got my problem solved by hit and trial method. I tried adding single to each and every line and found the line for which it is working. Actually in the older versions, kernel was loaded with the help of "kernel" command but i now command is "linux" for the same. so simply add any of the options above at the line starting with "linux".

This is just what i understood on my own. M not sure whether its right but it worked for me. :)

Hi pratporetw
Please mark as SOLVED under Thread Tools, if you are satisfied that the problem has been. Thanks...

Dan
9th July 2012, 03:56 PM
No need. I got it for him.