PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Problem detecting Fedora from Crunchbang boot loader and vice versa!

panchal
3rd July 2012, 11:17 PM
Hi Everyone! I am running Crunchbang, Opensuse and Fedora on my laptop and everything worked just till I installed 64-bit version of F17. First off, when I installed Fedora's boot loader, it was not detecting Crunchbang and when I installed Crunchbang's boot loader, Fedora was not detected!
Is then any workaround to this problem?

smr54
3rd July 2012, 11:20 PM
You might try (no guarantees, but this has worked for me in the past), mounting #!Crunchbang's / partition somewhere (/mnt is fine), then running, in Fedora

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

I've found that with both Fedora and Debian, grub2 sometimes needs the other system mounted for the grub configuration of one to see the other.

KStorm
5th July 2012, 03:40 AM
Try reinstalling the crunchbang bootloader, and while in crunchbang, do sudo update-grub after you have mounted your fedora partition. Something similar happened with my Fedora install and ubuntu bootloader.

panchal
5th July 2012, 10:53 AM
@KStorm

Try reinstalling the crunchbang bootloader, and while in crunchbang, do sudo update-grub after you have mounted your fedora partition. Something similar happened with my Fedora install and ubuntu bootloader.
I had tried exactly that earlier but it didn't work. Sorry I didn't mention it.

@smr54

You might try (no guarantees, but this has worked for me in the past), mounting #!Crunchbang's / partition somewhere (/mnt is fine), then running, in Fedora

grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

I've found that with both Fedora and Debian, grub2 sometimes needs the other system mounted for the grub configuration of one to see the other.
I did that, Fedora's Grub shows Crunchbang, but it gives error like No OS found or something! :(

Should I install 32 bit F17 instead? It did detect all the OS when I'd installed it earlier.

smr54
5th July 2012, 12:52 PM
This sometimes means something went wrong with #!Crunchbang's boot loader. You might try just try making a custom.cfg file, and putting it in /boot/grub2. I cover this a bit on an old page of mine http://home.roadrunner.com/~computertaijutsu/grub2.html

menuentry "Crunchbang" {
set root='(hd0,6)'
chainloader (hd0,6)+1
}

(If it was on /dev/sda6)

Or even

menuentry "Crunchbang" {
set root='(hd0,6)'
linux /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd.img
}

As Debian based systems make a symbolic link from /boot/vmlinuz-whatever to /vmlinuz and the same with initrd.img, that should be the syntax. (Again, assuming it was on /dev/sd6)

panchal
6th July 2012, 03:46 PM
@smr54

menuentry "Crunchbang" {
set root='(hd0,6)'
linux /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd.img
}

Worked for me! Thanks a ton! :)

smr54
6th July 2012, 04:58 PM
Glad it helped

You can mark the thread solved by clicking the thread tools link.