PDA

View Full Version : Adding to the desktop menu?

parkers1
26th November 2004, 04:23 PM
Hi folks,

OK, so based on the various searches I've done in this forum and other sources (Google, Fedora lists, etc.) it seems that GNOME menu editing (the main menu anyway) is best left alone. However, does anyone know of a way to edit the desktop menu and add submenus to it??? Basically, I am looking for a way to add a custom menu consisting of several menu items (each of which is a launcher for a local xterm connecting to a different server).

E.g. Xterms -->
Server #1 (which is 'xterm -T Server#1 -e telnet Server#1')
Server #2 (which is 'xterm -T Server#2 -e telnet Server#2')

Is this possible? I know I can add a drawer on the panel with several launchers but it seems as though each of the launchers must have an icon associated with it rather than a text label (which means I have to float the pointer over the launcher to see which server I'm connecting to). I am used to using CDE at work where you can simply edit your dtwmrc file and create any menus you want. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Steve

crackers
26th November 2004, 06:07 PM
Name each separate launcher to the name of the computer and a different icon for each, as well? Yeah, I know, pretty dumb...

Aside from my lame suggestion, is there some reason you're using telnet instead of ssh? The former is notably insecure and it's simply good practice to use secure/encrypted channels even within a local network.

taylor65
26th November 2004, 07:13 PM
Redhat disabled gnome menu editing - I don't know why - it aggravates me too because I used to do the same thing as you - I had rdesktop and Xnest command for certain machines in a submenu. Currently with FC3 you can't use the built-in gnome menu editing. In other linux distributions the gnome menu editing hasn't been disabled, all you do is right click on the menu and you can add items.