PDA

View Full Version : Fedora 3 + WinXP dual boot partitioning

phantomSPF
26th November 2004, 09:59 AM
hullo folks. i've got 2 hard drives. first disk is a 120gig 7200 WD w/8mb cache. second is a 20gig 5400 WD w/2mb cache.

i have the first disk split into 2 partitions of 48 and 64 gigs. WinXP/progs/games on C: and Music/Video/DVD editing on D:

i want to install Fedora on the 20 gig drive, but am a little unsure about boot partitions, boot-loaders, grubs, lilos, worms, boogie-boards and the rest...

/**** joke.

moving on.. ... should i move C: and D: up 100MB and squeeze a Fat32 boot partition in before C:? i have Norton Partition Magic (ex-Powerquest) here if that helps.

or should i put a Fat32 boot partition at the beggining of the 20 gig drive, followed by 5gig " / " partition followed by 2 gig linux /swap partition?

once Fedora is installed, i was planning on using the remAinder of the 20 gig drive as an NTFS partition for my WinXP pagefile/temp dir (as i usually have), but i'm at a bit of a loss on where to set up the boot loader. i'm a bit of a n00b you see.

any help would be much appreciated. thanks :)

wallace
26th November 2004, 10:34 AM
Well, I dont think any problem anywhere.

You can install fedora on 20GB hard disk making a / partition and a swap . You can also make a separate boot partition on the same 20 GB drive and write the grub into it. During installation fedora will detect everything well, I think no problem anywhere.

All the best !

phantomSPF
27th November 2004, 05:06 AM
thanks wallace. i got it all up and running with GRUB installed on the MBR of the bigger (windows) disk and Fedora on the 20 gig.

now i'm just trying to work out if i should put all my MP3s and movies on a Fat32 partition or leave D: as an NTFS partition?

can I access them from Fedora if they're on an NTFS partition?

Finalzone
27th November 2004, 05:11 AM
I personally use Fat32 as NTFS support, though seemly secure, is not included on FC3 kernel. You need to install the kernel-modules-ntfs to enable it.

phantomSPF
27th November 2004, 05:29 AM
finalzone, thanks for the reply, but i'm a bit confused. (total newbie)

if i leave the D: and E: partitions as NTFS, is there a way to make Fedora read them? or should i change them to Fat32?

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/liampatrickmckeon/partitions.JPG

Finalzone
27th November 2004, 06:58 AM
Yes, there is. Be in mind that ntfs is a Microsoft extension therefore the support is not included on FC3 kernel. The reason is Fedora team goal is to support only open source programs.

- You will need to install a module to allow FC3 to read ntfs. It is called kernel-module-ntfs that can be found on http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/3/i386/RPMS.testing/ . That package must be installed when you logged on FC3. I don't know if it is possible to write on ntfs using FC3 but other users will gladly let you know. You can also a search to find out.

- To allow FC3 to read windows partition, you will need to edit the file called fstab. Tutorials can be found on Fedora News website (http://fedoranews.org). Future version of FC will automatically mount partition(it was possible on test release of FC3 but the team find a critical bug and disable it) without the need to manually enable it.

- I suggest to increase the second ext3 to either 14 or 20 GB as you may be tempted to add some softwares like videogames.

phantomSPF
27th November 2004, 02:15 PM
thanks so much for all the info and advice mate :)

i might even do that last idea re the ext3. i know very little about linux and any games available on linux platforms, but i'll definately look into it.