PDA

View Full Version : Fedora Remix DVD for upgrade

Rishi
22nd May 2012, 12:13 PM
I have created a own fedora 16 Remix live CD/DVD according to my need and .I have installed it successfully in 2-3 other machine also.

Now I would like know how I can create a CD/DVD of same packages to upgrade the installed system with the CD/DVD.Just like fedora official DVD available for install or upgrade.

I Know yum pre upgrade can do this job but I want to build the DVD to do the job done.

Please guide me.
thanx.

AndrewSerk
22nd May 2012, 02:43 PM
Hello Rishi,

Pungi works for building custom install media.

Hope this helps,

Rishi
23rd May 2012, 06:13 AM
thanx AndrewSerk.
can you give me details about the procedure or any link?
Thanx for your reply.

AndrewSerk
23rd May 2012, 05:32 PM
Hi Rishi,
I don't have a link for you because I couldn't find any useful info on the subject. The docs are useless but the man page isn't bad. I can only share with you what I have learned from my limited use of pungi.

I set out the other day to make a custom remix install DVD that would do a unattended install of the packages I wanted installed. There may be a "better way" but this is how I did it.

I used "system-config-kickstart" to create a kickstart with the packages I wanted in the install media (I used this kickstart as config file for pungi to build from). I edited the kickstart to include my local repo that contains custom rpms. The "%include" directive will work for kickstarts for pungi to build from but most of the other kickstart directives seemed to have no effect for the build.( so don't worry about the "%post" section at this point). I took that kickstart (named test.ks) and used it as a config file for pungi to build from with a command like:

pungi --config=/home/SpaceTimeCompressor/Desktop/test/test.ks --nosource --nodebuginfo --name=MyRemix --cachedir=/var/cache/live/
This produced the install media, but if you try to install with this media you would have to select the packages for a custom install and check a bunch of boxes. I wanted the install media to automaticly install all the packages I had included along with some %post operations.The way I came up with to achieve this is to add a kickstart to the install media and have the media use this kickstart for the install.
I took the test.ks I used to build from and edited it. I added to the %packages sections the packages that where added from %include section by copying the list from the other .ks that where listed with %include and added them to the %package list. I then removed the repo lines from the kickstart and added the %post scripts I needed along with the other normal directives needed for a unattended install (install or upgrade, part info, root password, language, autostep ect.).

The next step is to include the kickstart in the install media. This is how I went about achieving that:
I mounted the install media in a loop with a command like:

mount -o loop MyRemix-20120516-i386-DVD.iso /mnt/iso/
Then copy the contents of the install media to a different directory with a command like:

cp -r /mnt/iso/./* /isowork
I then copied the edited kickstart to the /isowork directory and did a "chmod 777 /isowork/" so I could edit "/isolinux/isolinux.cfg " to add "ks=cdrom:/test.ks" to the kernel line so the kernel line looked like:

kernel vmlinuz ks=cdrom:/test.ks

The next step is to build the /isowork directory into a DVD again. I used a command like:

mkisofs -o /MyNewRemix.iso -r -J -N -d -hide-rr-moved -sysid 'hostname' -V 'Appliance' -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -boot-load-size 4 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat /isowork/

After the above command was finished I had the DVD MyNewRemix.iso under the directory / that would do a unattended custom install. :)

Hope this helps,

Rishi
1st June 2012, 10:43 AM
THanx...I will try it and then reply you.