PDA

View Full Version : Insufficient rights

o-ren
26th November 2004, 12:55 AM
that is what i get whenever i go to do most anything on my box now. its because i did this command: chown - R username /*

can anyone tell me how to reverse or fix this?

crackers
26th November 2004, 02:12 AM
Wow. Er, I think you might have to do a fresh install - that's pretty much taken care of the whole system and there's no easy way to back out of that command.

o-ren
26th November 2004, 04:22 AM
damn it all to heck

SuperNu
26th November 2004, 05:32 AM
Well, if you changed all of the file ownership to username, then you could use a recovery cd (knoppix, Fedora Core rescue cd or Fedora Core cd1), mount your system drives and type chown -R root /*. This should change the file ownership back to root for all of your files. Now, the question is, did you run chown -R username /* as root or as a normal user. If you were root, then you would have changed the entire system's ownership to username. If you were a normal user, then you only changed the files your normal user could touch. There might be some problems on your system for non-root users, but you should be able to have a functional system. Also, did you play around with chmod as well? If you did, then this could cause problems as well.

--SN

crackers
26th November 2004, 05:37 AM
Yes, he/she could get back a somewhat usable system, but to what end? It's only somewhat usable - you might as well skip the attempt to chown "back" and just start backing up files you need and get ready for a fresh installation.

o-ren
26th November 2004, 05:56 PM
this must be some kind of record; 2 reinstalls in 2 days.

tx guys.

crackers
26th November 2004, 06:10 PM
Not necessarily for a first-time user. I could bore you to death with the countless times I've done something similarly "not brilliant"... And, yes, I actually did an "rm -rf *" while in the root directory - once.

o-ren
26th November 2004, 08:37 PM
hehehe
one should make a sticky of all the things that you "should not ever do if you value your linux box"

crackers
27th November 2004, 01:28 AM
one should make a sticky of all the things that you "should not ever do if you value your linux box"
I ran out of room for the post-it notes. :D