PDA

View Full Version : Delayed shutdown when using GNOME panel

parkers1
25th November 2004, 05:42 PM
Hi there,

I'm running FC2 with all updates and have a very strange problem: when I use the GNOME panel to shutdown my machine (Logout -> Shutdown computer), it now takes approximately 2 minutes to actually initiate the shutdown process. During this time, the panel is unresponsive, though any open terminals are OK, and there is nothing odd going on that I can see. After about 2 minutes, it shuts down normally and everything is fine. Has anyone else experienced this??? Note that if I do a shutdown from a terminal, it shuts down immediately. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
-Steve

Daizy
25th November 2004, 08:33 PM
I have experienced similar problems, yet never left it long enough to find out it does shutdown after 2 or more minutes! I just restarted X with <ctrl> <alt> <backspace> and shut it down using the login screens shutdown option if it hung.

This rarely happened to me and it was usually directly linked to a incorrect change I made in a config file. If you find the culprit, it will usually stop!

Are you trying to logout straight after you logged in? I found that can make it sit around for a while.

parkers1
25th November 2004, 08:50 PM
No, it usually happens after several hours of use. Very, very strange... The only config change I can think of that I've made recently is having sessions automatically be saved when logging out (so that the "Save changes" box no longer appears when shutting down/logging out). Perhaps I'll try reverting that and seeing what happens. Thanks for the input!