PDA

View Full Version : VMWare Workstation on FC 2

Elite_Gamer04
30th May 2004, 09:50 AM
Hi,

Just finished install VMware Workstation 4.5.1 on Fedora Core 2 and created a Windows XP Pro virtual disk but whenever I go to start it it doesnt find my real XP Pro disk in ethier of my drives and I get the error to insert a bootable cd or floppy everytime.. Any ideas?

Thanks

EG

boyzonder
30th May 2004, 12:02 PM
Is your DVD-/CD-drive available to VMware and do you have your (bootable!) XP CD in it?

Elite_Gamer04
30th May 2004, 02:16 PM
Yes I have /dev/cdrom and /dev/cdrom1 aviliable and when u say bootable do you mean the real XP Pro install disks? If not no, How do I make a bootable XP Pro cd from the original on Fedora Core 2?

Thanks

EG

boyzonder
30th May 2004, 04:51 PM
Well, the ORIGINAL :-) Windows XP CD should be bootable. If it's not or if for some other reason you can't boot from CD, you'll have to create the boot floppies for your version of XP. Go to

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994#appliesto

and download the boot disk creator for your specific version of Windows XP (in your case XP Professional, but note that there's a difference between SP1 and the original one). Create the boot floppies (six of them) and boot your Virtual Machine with them. This should get the setup process going.

Elite_Gamer04
5th June 2004, 01:41 AM
Hi,

My laptop (the only computer in my house running Windows doesnt have a floppy drive), Also I discovered that the cd-rom device is running from /dev/cdrom which isnt right for FC2 because any cd I put in opens in /mnt/cdrom but if I change the settings to that in VMware it says /mnt/cdrom is not a CD-ROM device?

Please help!

EG

gmontag
5th June 2004, 07:40 AM
make an iso copy of the cd and use vmware to mount to mount an iso image.

Elite_Gamer04
5th June 2004, 03:55 PM
Ok, Whats the best program on Linux to achieve this? When I try in K3b I get like millions of Unexpected Errors and it takes like 20 mins to do 2%?

GNU
6th June 2004, 06:32 AM
Go to google and find how to do bootable cd :)
http://phpraja.home.mchsi.com/bartsays.gif