PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to create a distro based on Fedora 16

soylentgreen
29th April 2012, 10:16 PM
Hi,

I'd like to build my own Linux distro based on Fedora 16. I don't want to make a "custom spin" though. I'd like this to be somewhat of a fork that wouldn't contain any Fedora references (like CentOS, or Scientific Linux). It would host a collection of programs that I'm building and install the OS and my programs on to the workstation.

Right now, I would like the base OS, basic CLI, no GUI or fancy stuff. I just want a lot of the functionality that Fedora has (systemctl, RPM, YUM, file structure, etc).

What would be the best way of going about this? I thought about using LFS for this, which would work, but I don't have the functionality I want and I'd like RPM to be a big part of the way I'd distribute updates.

Any help would be great!

bob
29th April 2012, 10:46 PM
Moved to Fedora Spins & Remixes (yeah, it's not a spin or remix, but the people who monitor this sub-Forum are the most likely to assist you)

soylentgreen
29th April 2012, 10:49 PM
Moved to Fedora Spins & Remixes (yeah, it's not a spin or remix, but the people who monitor this sub-Forum are the most likely to assist you)

Thanks a lot! :-)

AndrewSerk
29th April 2012, 11:41 PM
That sounds like a big job. You would have to rebuild most all the packages from source with "rpmbuild" to remove any RedHat/Fedora references. Then build a live CD/DVD or install CD/DVD from those rebuilt packages with "livecd-tools" or "dracut" ,"createrepo" and "mkisofs"

nonamedotc
30th April 2012, 01:59 AM
Before you actually go about building your own distro, I would recommend taking a look at this list of distributions (http://distrowatch.com/search.php?ostype=Linux&category=All&origin=All&basedon=Fedora&notbasedon=None&desktop=All&architecture=All&status=Active) based on Fedora (assuming you have not already looked at it).

Alternatively, would it be possible to start with a "minimal" fedora and build from there?