PDA

View Full Version : FireFox takes over fedoraforum.org

ewdi
24th November 2004, 03:51 PM
2 Months ago, the visitors of fedoraforum hits 1/4 million unique a month, and the stats for the browser usage was as below:

MS Internet Explorer 31.8 %
Mozilla 31.6 %
FireFox 23.8 %
Opera 5.5 %
Konqueror 2.1 %
Netscape 1.3 %
Safari 0.6 %

This month, we will hit more than 1/4 million unqiue user, and look at FireFox dominating the browser usage on this site.

FireFoX 47.5 %
MS Internet Explorer 27.8 %
Mozilla 14.8 %
Opera 4.8 %
Konqueror 1.8 %
Netscape 1.2 %
Safari 0.7 %

MikeyMike
24th November 2004, 03:55 PM
wow :) almsot 50 % but i thought this was a linux forum surprised by the IE uses

wct1490
24th November 2004, 04:00 PM
too bad for Safari... :p

ewdi
24th November 2004, 04:04 PM
well a lot of server administrator (in web hosting industry) hang around this forum for help, so they are not really a linux desktop users :p most of them still in windows, but their servers are running with fedora

awillard69
24th November 2004, 04:40 PM
Or people like me who have FC installed at home, but do some surfing at work. Perhaps, they aren't able install Firefox.

LinuxNewb
24th November 2004, 04:46 PM
wow :) almsot 50 % but i thought this was a linux forum surprised by the IE uses

Or people like me who have FC installed at home, but do some surfing at work. Perhaps, they aren't able install Firefox.

This would be the case for me. I use Firefox at home on my linux box. I still have IE on my Windows box (havent gotten around to putting firefox on it , also my GF uses that pc the most and she likes IE :| ) and i do alot of my forum surfing and replying here at work, which uses IE... for the time being .. till i can convince them to put linux on the machines

Bradlis7
24th November 2004, 04:49 PM
Firefox is definately my favorite browswer on windows. I plan on getting rid of windows in a few years, but I just got a new laptop, and it had windows installed, and it actually works. It'll be crappy once I install a few more things on it, because that's the way it always is. I'd rather have fedora any day, but windows fresh out of the box is actually decent. Windows gets broken once you use it over a long period of time. That's probably one of the ways they sell new windows versions, by giving you a good OS when you start out, and then once a new one comes out, it sucks. Don't hate me, I still use OSS for everything I use (Firefox, GIMP, Gaim, Thunderbird, JEdit, etc). Well now that I say it works, I can't even click my start button, but I can push the win key and get it. I still love fedora 10 times more tho :-D.

Shadow Skill
25th November 2004, 03:13 AM
Yeah I can't say that I'm not surprised to even see IE in the usage statistics, but I think the takeover that Firefox has pulled is great even if it is not really surprising in the end..I mean 47.5% of us know that Firefox owns all other browsers out.

crackers
25th November 2004, 05:05 AM
Part of it is probably due to the fact that we've got more people that have installed Fedora and working through the other issues and don't have to use Winblows for Net access. ;)

Shadow Skill
25th November 2004, 05:22 AM
I can accept that, any way you slice it it's all good.

Bradlis7
25th November 2004, 06:11 AM
So what are the stats of windows to linux visits? That should be part of the stats too, I think.

Jman
25th November 2004, 08:33 AM
Firefox doubled it's share and gained 23.7%, very impressive. IE lost 4% but Mozilla lost 16.8%. I'd say most of these went to Firefox.

ghaefb
25th November 2004, 04:10 PM
Go forefox ! :)
Take back the web...

Shadow Skill
25th November 2004, 06:56 PM
Has anyone noticed that Firefox renders pages somewhat differently depending on which version you use? [IE WInodws, then Fedora.] Some sites will have totally different text colours and other sites will be nigh unreadable, when using FC in Fedora yet windows version displays just fine. If you go to Minitokyo.net in FC you should notice that almost all of the text for the menus is a blueish colour which matches the background, then view the same site in windows and the same text should be white and quite readable. Let me know what results you get.

Firefox is taking back the web one fustrated IE user at a time people.

ewdi
25th November 2004, 09:05 PM
the site webmaster might forgot to add the css tag, firefox is working better with css than ie

Shadow Skill
26th November 2004, 10:04 AM
This particular site has more wierdo ptoblems the thumbnails for tje gslleries wont even load when you are in Linux [went there on my laptop to make sure it wasnt this machine.] yet the thumbnails will load properly where the should in FF when in windows, its really annoying. Part of the site is broken in souch a way that I have to leave one browser signed in to the site then open IE to browse the galleries at all... :( [but that is a definite website issue not the fault of the browser.]

dickinsd
2nd December 2004, 01:23 PM

I use IE about 50% of the time I am on this site.

Unfortunately for me I like to play the odd game, and I just have not come across a suply of 'backed up' games for Linux that take the best advantages of my hardware.

In fact I have not come across a single serious game for Linux yet (not that I have actually looked) my Linux gaming is limited to those that are free with the distro I install at the time.

Another reason is I give a lot of help to family members and some friends using the Windows XP Remote assistance feature, I am not sure if there is software that can take advantage of this in Linux?? (Also a relative new comer to Linux so I would probably struggle to set something like remote assistance up anyway)

I do like some things a lot more in Windows than I do in Linux, but then there are things in Linux which I think are bloody amazing.
Some things are as simple as gFTP - I can not count the number of times FTP in Windows has died, or cocked up explorer.exe (why??) yet gFTP has not flinched once, and if there have been any problems they seem to have been at my hosts end, and gFTP is quite well at handling errors and retrying on its own.
There are quite a few things that I think are great in Linux (standard things) but there are quite a lot of things in Windows that I just find easier to use - requiring less effort etc (lazy)

Dave

dickinsd
2nd December 2004, 01:28 PM
This particular site has more wierdo ptoblems the thumbnails for tje gslleries wont even load when you are in Linux [went there on my laptop to make sure it wasnt this machine.] yet the thumbnails will load properly where the should in FF when in windows, its really annoying. Part of the site is broken in souch a way that I have to leave one browser signed in to the site then open IE to browse the galleries at all... :( [but that is a definite website issue not the fault of the browser.]

I have not seen this, I used FF on FC3 to browse the gallary the other day and it was fine, perhaps you have an older FF install?

I have seen sites that look messed up in FF on both Windows and Linux though, so I do not dispute you may have problems.

It is odd when a site looks fine in IE but not in Firefox.

Could it be down to some pages been desinged/built using Frontpage, obviously IE is going to be coded in away that utilizes all Frontpages' stupid little codes??

Dave

dickinsd
2nd December 2004, 01:33 PM
Firefox doubled it's share and gained 23.7%, very impressive. IE lost 4% but Mozilla lost 16.8%. I'd say most of these went to Firefox.
Do you not think this may be related to the fact that FC3 has Firefox installed as its default browser now?

Loads of people out there will have downloaded and installed Firefox, but some will have it JUST because it is default in FC3.

It does not explain drop in IE so much as it explains the drop in other mozilla browsers.

Dave

sailor
4th December 2004, 03:10 AM
I have converted my whole family to Firefox...if I could just get them into linux...:(
The kids use a puter that just will not run linux...but someday they will inherit my puter....

sailor
4th December 2004, 03:13 AM
I have converted my whole family to Firefox...if I could just get them into linux...:(
The kids use a puter that just will not run linux...but someday they will inherit my puter....
At work I have Firefox installed with the "IE" icon...:)