PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake to Fedora Core 3 on Dual Boot

chenu
24th November 2004, 06:34 AM
I've had a dual boot with Mandrake Linux 10 and Win Xp Pro for a while and some of my friends have been prompting me to change my linux distro to the well known Fedora Core.

I've got one 120 Gig Hardrive that I originally partitioned and installed Xp Pro (100gigs) and Mandrake Linux(20 gigs).

I have Lilo as my boot manager and it lets me pick between the different options, and defaults to Win Xp.

One thing I really don't want to do is to completely screw up my windows partition so is there any way I can mess up while doing this.

If someone can post up some instructions on how they did it or any help at all it will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chenu

imdeemvp
24th November 2004, 09:40 AM
I have tried in the past and was not easy your best shot is to use any spare drive you may have to preserve your data. Liilo and the grub dont play alone very well. So to save yourself some headaches and data lost use a second hd.

chiku31
24th November 2004, 10:07 AM
You can make another partition for your fedora with a tool like partition magic or the tool come with fedora when installing. If anything goes wrong with lilo or grub, you can always restore your windows master boot record with fisdk(fdisk /mrb).

brlmedia
25th November 2004, 01:48 AM
You can make another partition for your fedora with a tool like partition magic or the tool come with fedora when installing. If anything goes wrong with lilo or grub, you can always restore your windows master boot record with fisdk(fdisk /mrb).

hi, if i'm correct isn't it fdisk /mbr?