PDA

View Full Version : boot chain of events

BillGradwohl
24th March 2012, 08:19 PM
Has anyone documented the boot up chain of events (scripts & binaries) that occur for a graphical.target and one for multi-user.target?

I ask because I need to add a gpg-agent that should only start for the multi-user.target sequence of events, and not for the graphical.target sequence.

I'd like to find out which script file to use to check which case is in process (graphical or multi-user) and then decide to load or not load gpg-agent.

Some of the files mentioned in the man pages don't even exist, so obviously they are optional. I'm trying to find every script and script source file that offers a control point while booting up.

Thank You

jpollard
24th March 2012, 09:42 PM
Tried to once.

There were just too many of them in too many different orders.

One big problem is that now that all startups (systemd) does its own organization (few remaining scripts), things are no longer visible.

One big sucker is NetworkManager - it is slow and tends to do things wrong in moderately complex networks.

Does ok with a single network connection, but gets confused when there are more than one. I have seen it put the default route on the wrong interface... Since I am also using VMs, it doesn't handle their network requirements at all. So I disable it.

As far as chasing things down, start in /lib/systemd/system. Each entry there has the list of prerequisets and also has the startup command for the daemons. Some of these specify alternate locations for configurations, or options to override values in those configurations.

The man pages are written for the standard configuration - normally a SysVinit startup, and/or a BSD environment using long standing defaults.

Fedora+systemd ain't it. But the developers don't bother updating documentation.

PabloTwo
24th March 2012, 09:45 PM
Not that I know exactly how you do this, but I would start by looking into these two directories:

/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/
/lib/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/

BillGradwohl
25th March 2012, 08:23 PM
Thanks jpollard & PabloTwo

I didn't think this was going to be easy.

The new systemd obfuscates everything that used to be so easy before.

The lack of documentation is a real weakness. I wish the devs would just miss one release and finish the paperwork instead.

dd_wizard
25th March 2012, 09:38 PM
Googling "systemd wiki" without the quotes, returned 30,003 links. The first page of links were to wikis for most of the major distros. I'd say there's a lot of documentation out there. Two good starting links are

The Fedora Wiki (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd)
and
The On Line Man Pages (http://0pointer.de/public/systemd-man/).

dd_wizard