PDA

View Full Version : Having multiple gui's decreases speed?

Dewey
23rd November 2004, 09:43 PM
I've used gentoo for a bit, and knew that having only one gui supported on a machine increased performance immensely by removing the other gui's options during compile. So what my question is, is me having Gnome, KDE, and XFCE all installed on my machine going to slow it down?(I only use one at a time) The hard drive space isn't a problem, I just got an 80gig drive.

Also, do KDE programs running under another WM cause slowdown?(or any wm for that matter) For example, I like to run KGPG and KDevelop on gnome.

Psquared
23rd November 2004, 09:51 PM
I've used gentoo for a bit, and knew that having only one gui supported on a machine increased performance immensely by removing the other gui's options during compile. So what my question is, is me having Gnome, KDE, and XFCE all installed on my machine going to slow it down?(I only use one at a time) The hard drive space isn't a problem, I just got an 80gig drive.

Also, do KDE programs running under another WM cause slowdown?(or any wm for that matter) For example, I like to run KGPG and KDevelop on gnome.

That is a great question for which I would like to know the answer. FC2 installs several WMs and DEs by default. For me I have Gnome 2.6, KDE 3.3, Xfce 4.2, Enlightenment, Window Maker, FVWM, Metisse, Sawfish, TVM, Fluxbox, and Afterstep all installed. I usually use Gnome or KDE - sometimes Xfce. The rest I could do without --- especially if uninstalling would give me more speed.

ilja
23rd November 2004, 10:00 PM
OK, without being a Linux Guru, this is the way, how I understand it:
Every time you install a package in Gentoo, you build it from source. Everytime you install a package in Fedora you install a precompiled pacakge. So if you have less flags set in gentoo the package is thiner and so faster. The RPM-Package doesn't change. So there should be no difference.

Please prove me wrong, when I tell crap ;)

Dewey
23rd November 2004, 10:17 PM
Yeah, it totally slipped my mind that rpms are prebuilt, so it shouldn't make a difference how many guis I have installed...Unless there's something we're missing.

Also, about my other question:

ghaefb
23rd November 2004, 10:22 PM
KDevelop... try Anjuta.
http://anjuta.sourceforge.net

crackers
24th November 2004, 03:47 AM
The number of UIs installed has no affect on performance - typically only one is running at any given time. Gentoo UIs will seem to be faster because of the compile-time optimization, but you're probably only seeing less than a 10% "boost" in relative speed. (Of course, since everything's built on the system the same way, those 10% increases aren't cumulative, but they do contribute.)

There should be no problems running KDE apps in Gnome or Gnome apps in KDE. You will get a bit more overhead as requires a different subsystem, so an extra "layer" gets loaded up and executed in memory (depending upon the application). For example, a KDE app running in Gnome won't be quite as responsive because of that extra layer. However, it would take actually instrumenting the application for a humid being to actually be able to tell the difference.