PDA

View Full Version : Which Mplayer Codecs???

AliOop
23rd November 2004, 08:55 PM
I've got Mplayer (gmplayer) working and playing most streaming videos but not all. I can play some WMV files but not all. Also video but no sound on .mov files (Quicktime) Obviously, I don't have all of the necessary codecs installed. I've put up with this for sometime and I'd like to find a solution for this. Searching this forum I've come across Ghaefb's 'Howto" http://ghaefb.fedorausers.org/howto01.html . It seems to be very good tutoral. But I have a question. When it comes to downloading the codecs, and Ghaefb provides a link, I'm not certain which ones to download. On some of the items listed, I get a list. On others a download option. Some are marked with a ? mark and other with two red arrows. To be honest, I'm confused as to which files I'm to download. Since I can view some streaming videos and don't want to screw up what I have I'm being very cautious. Can someone provide me with some insight? Thanks.

ghaefb
23rd November 2004, 09:09 PM
Just download 'all' codecs file and follow the instructions on the page.
Make sure when you put codecs in /usr/local/lib/codecs you recompile mplayer, just 'make' and 'make install' again.

If you download all codecs package, you don't need to download other codec files.

If you need to play "all" wmv files, also get the latest mplayer cvs snapshot.

AliOop
24th November 2004, 07:56 AM
Ghaefb, thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it my best. Thanks.