PDA

View Full Version : General Announcement: Staff changes

Dan
10th March 2012, 10:35 PM
Some of you may have already noticed there have been some substantial changes in the staff of the forum in the last few days. These changes are somewhat ongoing, and have generated further changes to the way the staff does business.

Bottom line? Both Bob and Leigh have selected to retire.

Running this beast is a voluntary thing, and their reasons for not only serving but also the time, and circumstances of stepping down from that service are their own. It is ours to be respectfully grateful for the unbelievable hours and efforts they have contributed to the forum, the community and even fedora and linux in general.

Personally, I will say of both of them that the dedication and selfless service they have shown not only humbles me, but makes me proud to have called them colleagues and to have been allowed to serve with them. I know Bob will still be hanging around answering questions, and I hope Leigh will too, but currently, it looks like he's going to take a hiatus. Other than that, I have no knowledge of their future plans. You'll have to ask them about it yourselves.

It would be insanely unrealistic to say there will be no impact on the forum and the community, but the other bottom line is that we currently have a fantastic staff of talented and dedicated personnel who have already simply stepped sideways into the gaps and never skipped a beat. But, with these guys, I would have expected nothing less. Quality people just do that sort of thing. They have a tendency to humble me as well.

The other impact this will have on the forum is we are currently taking this opportunity to review our own procedures and make adjustments as needed.

(Now comes the long, boring history part. If you're prone to nod off during torturous speeches, you're welcome to do so here without shame. Just as long as I don't hear anyone snoring.)

For those who are not aware, fedora forum was originally taped together and launched by these enterprising fellows (http://www.fedoraforum.org/?view=people), and administered basically by Ewdison Then. Circumstances changed, and Ewdi eventually turned control of the forum over to us, and granted "Super-Admin" powers, tights and decoder rings to Bob, Leigh and myself, with the understanding that Bob was in charge. The reasons for Bob and Leigh being on the team were obvious. Me? Not so much. But that's the way it was. In the end, it provided that there were three sets of keys to the thing, and therefore it could be more responsive to the timely needs of the community.

Since then, we've done our level best to endure the headaches, grow into the job and deal with the daily pitfalls as best we could. We suffered no illusions, though. Having a forgiving and robust community was about all that made that possible. <..:rolleyes:..>

We've still got three "key holders" in place, so there's no reason to panic, and a number of well seasoned and capable admins who can and will step up should one of us get stupid and step in front of a bus ... or the rest of the staff finally gets sick of my stupid comments and bad jokes, and runs me out of town on a rail. <..:C..>

So, it ain't been an easy week, but I think we're up to the challenges, and I hope we can count on you, the membership at large, to help us keep the normal form, function and standards of fedora forum as high as they have ever been. We (The whole community here, that is) often hear from those who come here that this is one of the most helpful, friendly, and high quality forums on the web, and the truth of the matter is that the admins don't have a helluva lot to do with that. That is all about you folks, the regular members of the fedora forum community. If it wasn't for you folks, we wouldn't be here ... and a lot of us would still be grinding our teeth, and wrestling with ...

Windows®. <..:blink:..> <..:eek:..> <..:fp:..>

To Bob and Leigh: Gentlemen ... It doesn't quite seem to cover it, but ... It's been an honor, and thank you.

That is all.

Dan

bob
10th March 2012, 10:55 PM
Holy cow, I was in charge? Nobody ever told me! :D

Well, thanks Dan for the kind words. I'll assure one and all that my choice had nothing at all to do with the great guys I was privileged to work with or the fine Forum that the members have continued to create. And, as Dan pointed out, I'll still hang around here, time permitting and do my best to give bad advice and mess up your machines.

I'm saddened by any absence that Leigh chooses to take and hope he's quickly back with us. He's far too important to all of us to be gone for long, but please respect his rights to a bit of peace and privacy. 20K+ posts, answering the most difficult problems and you sure do need a break!

Well, I know that the Forum is in the best of hands and I'll be watching along with the rest to see what's coming. I'm sure it's going to make it even better.

tox
10th March 2012, 11:22 PM
im sure leigh will be back. but now that he doesnt have that Huge ugly Cloud hanging on his back - banning spammers etc all the time, he's free to do anything as he pleases now. i felt the same way when i was a CM.

so having said that, when can we expect a forum software upgrade? :p

nonamedotc
10th March 2012, 11:28 PM
Thanks bob and leigh! Leigh, in particular, for the excellent graphics card installation guide and cinnamon!

I have been in this forum for a little over a year now and I must say, this forum has played a big part in my choosing to stick with fedora. The friendliness of this forum is simply amazing! Cheers!

Finalzone
11th March 2012, 12:21 AM
Some of you may have already noticed there have been some substantial changes in the staff of the forum in the last few days. These changes are somewhat ongoing, and have generated further changes to the way the staff does business.

Bottom line? Both Bob and Leigh have selected to retire.

Running this beast is a voluntary thing, and their reasons for not only serving but also the time, and circumstances of stepping down from that service are their own. It is ours to be respectfully grateful for the unbelievable hours and efforts they have contributed to the forum, the community and even fedora and linux in general.

Change is a natural process. Fedora Forum reached the point of being the reference in term of quality of posts. Both Bob and Leigh have done tremendous good job for the public especially dealing with numerous spammers that plagued majority of Internet infrastructure.

Hopefully the administrative staff will further improve the quality of the forum.

tox
11th March 2012, 12:29 AM
should upgrade Finalzone to Admin status

i just hope that AskFedora crap forum wont take over this :(

bob
11th March 2012, 12:32 AM
Greg, when you put your foot in it, you really do! http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=267337 Rahul created that site with our blessings and full support. It's a different idea.

Dan
11th March 2012, 12:35 AM
i just hope that AskFedora crap forum wont take over this

Why would they? Two sources are better than one, and getting people the answers they need is the goal. I think there's plenty of room enough in the fedora-verse for both. <..;)..>

tox
11th March 2012, 12:57 AM
Why would they? Two sources are better than one , and getting people the answers they need is the goal. I think there's plenty of room enough in the fedora-verse for both. <..;)..>

true that, but what im refering to is that i would hope this forum will still be here. i'll be lost without it :dance:

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

Greg, when you put your foot in it, you really do! http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=267337 Rahul created that site with our blessings and full support. It's a different idea.

yeah i know i got foot an mouth disease :p

Wayne
11th March 2012, 02:07 AM
Bummer. Good luck guys.

stevea
11th March 2012, 02:36 AM
Bummer. Good luck guys.

+!, and thanks for all the cinnamon.

DBelton
11th March 2012, 02:45 AM
I wish to give Leigh and bob a very big thanks for the great job they have done, and having the patience (and hip waders) to wade through all of the BS on here at times, dealing with it in a proper manner.

I wish them luck in whatever they decide to do, and hope they do decide to stick around on here. Their advice has been instrumental in making this one of the best sites around.

Heck, they even put up with my Gnome 3 rants without banning me :lol: (I have tried to tone things down a lot on that subject, though.)

bob
11th March 2012, 03:01 AM
(crap! Forgot to do that) :D

Dan
11th March 2012, 03:03 AM
Ah, yes! Number seven on the to-do list. Hang in there ... we'll get to it sooner or later. <..:p..>

DBelton
11th March 2012, 03:10 AM
Well, the way F17, you may get the opportunity to see more rants :( Seriously, I have been thinking about going back to F14 after trying out F17 for a week or so now.

tox
11th March 2012, 03:32 AM
Well, the way F17, you may get the opportunity to see more rants :( Seriously, I have been thinking about going back to F14 after trying out F17 for a week or so now.
think yourself lucky you get to even use F17 cause it wont work on my machine. :blink:

smr54
11th March 2012, 04:21 AM
My gratitude to both Bob and Leigh for all their time and work.

AndrewSerk
11th March 2012, 04:38 AM
My gratitude to both Bob and Leigh for all their time and work.

+1 Thanks for all the kindness and help through the years.
You both will be missed!

bbfuller
11th March 2012, 03:41 PM
I'll second all the good wishes offered so far.

It's hard to remember back to a time when Leigh and Bob weren't around.

Good luck to whatever it is you devote all of your energy to now.

marriedto51
11th March 2012, 04:15 PM
Echoing everyone else: many thanks to bob and leigh for their hard work and input.

This forum is a really friendly and useful resource and I've no doubt that is as much due to the excellent admins as to the general friendliness and resourcefulness of Fedora users.

Holdolin
11th March 2012, 08:34 PM
Well, I certainly wish both Bob and Leigh the best. Though i haven't been here, or posted near as much as many in this thread, I have gotten a LOT of help from them both. Whenever i have a problem, I use that nice little search function, and when I find my answer, the thread that contains it usually has one of both of them in it. Thanks for all your contributions guys :)

JONOR
12th March 2012, 01:03 AM
Massively overdue deserved rest and recuperation for Bob and Leigh, particularly Leigh, he is one of a kind. This site will not be the same without him.

Boricua
12th March 2012, 11:13 AM
I happen to be a practising attorney with no programming experience who runs his professional and personal life with Fedora Linux. In no small part, that's possible because of people like Bob and Leigh. So thank you very much to both for making my life without Microsoft/Apple a reality, and I wish you both the best in life.

Dutchy
12th March 2012, 11:47 AM
Thanks for everything and have a nice vacation!

sea
12th March 2012, 02:37 PM
Thanks Leigh and Bob for all your 42 !
:)

Hope you guys will hang around here every once in a while.

William Haller
12th March 2012, 02:45 PM
Don't forget to pack a towel, and thanks for all the fish guys. Your work will be missed. Hope to see you back soon.

PatMcLJr
12th March 2012, 02:58 PM
Thank You Bob and Leigh. Hope to still see your posts about.
The admin work does seem to be a bit tiresome, Thank You to those still at the wheel.

BBQdave
12th March 2012, 04:48 PM
This forum is a really friendly and useful resource and I've no doubt that is as much due to the excellent admins as to the general friendliness and resourcefulness of Fedora users.

Thanks bob and leigh.

It is amazing that different disro users hang out here, it truley is a great resource. You all will be missed, and all the best in future endeavours.

billybob linux
12th March 2012, 07:30 PM
I have not been around here as long as many others, but thanks Bob and Leigh for their time and commitment and all the others who keep this Forum ticking over and keep it as the friendly helpful place it is (in fact probably one of the better Forums around ). Also thanks to Dan for his on-going efforts to keep the peace, help others out and add some literary expertise worthy of shakespeare !

Bobs posts were friendly,helpful, level-headed and considered and in my view, that kind of skill and experience (as an Administrator) will be missed.

Leigh has a wealth knowledge, that will also be missed, so good luck and thanks to both of them :)

Gareth Jones
12th March 2012, 11:24 PM
Just to add my thanks to Bob and Leigh!

I eagerly await DBelton's F17 rants! ;)

Gareth

dd_wizard
13th March 2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks a lot, Bob and Leigh. It's been a fun ride, and you deserve a break. But I wonder who's going to take over all Leigh's guides? :confused:

dd_wizard

AdamW
13th March 2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks a lot, you guys have done great work. Now never mind the decoder ring, where are my tights?!

tox
13th March 2012, 12:50 AM
Thanks a lot, Bob and Leigh. It's been a fun ride, and you deserve a break. But I wonder who's going to take over all Leigh's guides? :confused:

dd_wizard

leigh will do it himself, i dont think he'll leave the forum just because he aint a Admin no more. bob's still around

---------- Post added at 10:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

Just to add my thanks to Bob and Leigh!

I eagerly await DBelton's F17 rants! ;)

Gareth

i could start one now but since it aint final yet it'd be a bit early to make a Rant about it. :)

gadgetwiz
13th March 2012, 08:50 AM
I became a member here 6 year ago and I must say that it will not be same around here.

I'd like to thank both Bob and Leigh for helping me out directly and for all the posts and guides that have made my life much easier. Leigh's nVidia support threads are a good case in point.

Kudos to you guys and enjoy your retirement. You deserve it!! :dance:

Evil_Bert
13th March 2012, 09:12 AM
i could start one now but since it aint final yet it'd be a bit early to make a Rant about it. :)
What's this? Greg foregoing the opportunity to rant? Whatever next? :D

I'm sure my appreciation is already known to both Bob and Leigh, but to put it on the record, I am extremely grateful not only for the work that both have done here at FedoraForum and the things I have learned from them, but also for the opportunity to have worked alongside two fine individuals.

Enjoy your retirement, chaps. Well done. Your distro salutes you. :thumb:

tox
13th March 2012, 09:20 AM
What's this? Greg foregoing the opportunity to rant? Whatever next? :D

I'm sure my appreciation is already known to both Bob and Leigh, but to put it on the record, I am extremely grateful not only for the work that both have done here at FedoraForum and the things I have learned from them, but also for the opportunity to have worked alongside two fine individuals.

Enjoy your retirement, chaps. Well done. Your distro salutes you. :thumb:

my Rant will come as soon as Fedora17 has gone final. you can bet i wont be the only one to make a rant about F17 and Gnome3 .

just think bob an leigh doesnt have to ban spammers etc no more, just sit back with a nice cleansing Ale an watch you Admins fight it out for the Ban :D

Evil_Bert
13th March 2012, 09:22 AM
... an watch you Admins fight it out for the Ban :D
It's quite gentlemanly, actually. More like, "I say, do you want to take that chappy over there? Jolly good. I'll tar and feather this one, shall I?" ;)

tox
13th March 2012, 09:29 AM
It's quite gentlemanly, actually. More like, "I say, do you want to take that chappy over there? Jolly good. I'll tar and feather this one, shall I?" ;)

something i never found exciting about the job when i was a CM, i should of stepped down before bob sent me that PM.

glennzo
13th March 2012, 09:37 AM
I think we should really stay on topic here and not spoil this nice thread about expressing our thanks to Bob and Leigh for their service to Fedora Forum and the Linux community in general.

tox
13th March 2012, 10:37 AM
I think we should really stay on topic here and not spoil this nice thread about expressing our thanks to Bob and Leigh for their service to Fedora Forum and the Linux community in general.

we should, time we heard from leigh i think

DBelton
13th March 2012, 02:26 PM
we should, time we heard from leigh i think

Leigh is too busy celebrating his parole.. errrr. retirement. :D

hadrons123
14th March 2012, 03:20 AM
If leigh retired as an admin, why should his status say 'Guest'?
It could either say old admin or at least a member.
I assume 'guest' is a non-member.
Or am I missing something?

stoat
14th March 2012, 03:23 AM
He requested that, and it was granted.

JamesNZ
14th March 2012, 03:59 AM
Thanks very much to both Bob and Leigh! You guys have done a great job :thumb:

fedvasu
14th March 2012, 07:51 PM
I've always been late in thanking people :doh:, but anyway thanks Bob and Leigh , for your wonderful service towards fedora community!

well done guys:thumb:, I wish all the success for your future endeavors.

RHamel
14th March 2012, 10:22 PM
II would also like to thank Bob and Leigh for their fine work. I would also like to thank Dan, who is now going to have to do the work of three people. :)

metatron
15th March 2012, 05:07 PM
Sorry to hear you guys are stepping down, Bob and Leigh. You guys have definitely done so much for us Fedora-ites and have helped make this my go-to forum for all things Fedora. Per aspera ad astra.