PDA

View Full Version : Is there a linux video player that can play ripped dvd's from hard drive?

luna6
23rd November 2004, 09:31 AM
I am getting pretty impatient about this missing feature. I have a lot of ripped dvd's that I store on a raid drive in file mode (Video_TS folders), and in windows all I have to do is fire up Powerdvd and select "Open DVD file on hard disc drive" and it point it to the Video_TS folder and the movie will run with full dvd menu options. I cannot find anything comparable within Mplayer, Kaffeine, Xine, or Video Lan Client. Surely Im not the only person that watches ripped dvd movies from the hard drive? I have a linux box and a windows xp box, and I would like to convert the windows xp box to linux but waiting for a media player that can play ripped dvd's from the hard drive.

sideways
23rd November 2004, 11:18 AM
The online manual page for mplayer and mencoder http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/man/en/mplayer.1.html has some examples of use at the bottom

One of them is

Play DVD video from a directory with VOB files:
mplayer dvd://1 -dvd-device /path/to/directory/

If you want a graphical interface type 'gmplayer' instead

(Note mplayer will play dvds fine but menu support is limited. All the basic stuff like subtitle selection, audio selection is available though. An alternative for DVD playback (amongst many) is ogle (http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/), that plays ripped dvds by typing 'ogle /path/to/directory', and includes full dvd menus)

Hope that helps

EDIT btw, depending on your yum setup you might be able to install ogle by typing 'yum install ogle' as root (that's all I had to do)

EDIT2
if yum doesn't install ogle then create file /etc/yum.repos.d/freshrpms.repo with following lines:

[core]
name=FreshRPMS-Core
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/core
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

[updates]
name=FreshRPMS-Updates
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/updates
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

[freshrpms]
name=FreshRPMS-Fresh
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/$releasever/$basearch/freshrpms
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

luna6
23rd November 2004, 06:07 PM
is it possible to play the ripped dvd movies via gmplayer instead of command line? A lot of the folders have spaces without underscores and the command line doesnt even seem to see those folders. i did install ogle through apt-get, but would not run. thanks

sideways
23rd November 2004, 06:11 PM
is it possible to play the ripped dvd movies via gmplayer instead of command line? A lot of the folders have spaces without underscores and the command line doesnt even seem to see those folders. i did install ogle through apt-get, but would not run. thanks

Yes, go to Preferences->Misc and enter /path/to/directory/ for your DVD device, now just select DVD->Open Disc as usual.

I'm surprised you had problems with ogle, its a pretty well-regarded DVD player

EDIT btw, you can play the vob files directly in gmplayer by selecting the vob from the Open...->Play file... menu

EDIT2 when entering paths with spaces from the command line you should use file completion (press TAB), not only is this quicker but it will automatically escape the spaces for you.

EDIT3 the default dvd device for mplayer and ogle is /dev/dvd, so best to create this symbolic link to your dvd (as root) 'ln -s /dev/hdc /dev/dvd' (if your dvd is not /dev/hdc change appropriately (maybe /dev/hdd)), then to play a dvd type 'ogle' (for full menus) or 'mplayer dvd://1'

luna6
23rd November 2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the tip on Mplayer/Gmplayer, did go into preferences and added the folder and played the ripped dvd's. Happy to be able to watch ripped dvd's on my linux box. The way I have my movies organized is like /Media/Movies, /Media/Movies-Korean, /Media/Movies-Japanese ...and inside those folders /Media/Movies/Spiderman, /Media/Movies-Korean/Oldboy, /Media/Movies-Japanese/Battle Royale ...etc etc...so it is kind of a pain to type in a different directory path in Gmplayer every time I want to watch another movie, but it is better than nothing. So thanks...playing vobs straight from gmplayer usually isnt a good option for me because the majority of the films I watch are subtitled. Also not sure why ogle doesnt launch, after installation, I have an icon for it in the kde menu, I click it, I can see it launch for a half a second and it closes. I will check into later today and see if I can figure out why its not loading and if its better suited for my purposes. Thanks again for the tips, much appreciated.

sideways
23rd November 2004, 08:29 PM
You're welcome.

Anyone else know much about ogle gui options or other DVD players that might help luna6? (I use gmplayer nearly always except when I want menus in a dvd, then I use the command line version of ogle)

PS you could crate a script (a pain at first but easy to append to as you create more ripped dvds) to help you play each dvd, which would enable you just to type dvdplay <moviename>. If you want to PM me I can help you with this, basically it's a lot of typing of directory paths and 'if variable = <moviename' type stuff

merlinv12
17th April 2007, 11:44 PM
As for menu setup and subtitles, I have found xine to be the best player of all. It does rely on you installing libdvdnav and some other dvd libraries. I am not sure if it will play vob files though.

As far as ogle goes, luna6 mentioned that they used apt-get. If they are running Fedora then they should use yum as it will make sure all the correct libraries are installed and updated.

apt-get delete ogle

then

yum install ogle ogle_gui

I hope that helps

merlinv12
17th April 2007, 11:46 PM
oh, almost forgot. I think I remember using kplayer to watch vob files. The interface is a lot friendlier than gmplayer and has a lot more intuitive configuration options.

ryptyde
18th April 2007, 02:39 AM
I use VLC to view my videos that are saved as .iso's. Right click>open with "VLC Media Player". It is less of a pain and they can be written to disc with no problem. I also can use MPlayer,VLC and Xine to view the .vob's but not as easy as you want.Using FC6 by the way.

Dies
18th April 2007, 03:00 AM
You guys do realize this thread is like 2 years old right?

ryptyde
18th April 2007, 03:11 AM
DOH! I didn't know that so won't be looking for any speedy replies and anyway I've just been awakened from a cryogenic sleep and still a bit groggy. :p

Wayne
18th April 2007, 03:15 AM
You guys do realize this thread is like 2 years old right?

:D The last thread started by the OP was 2006-03-22 :D

Wayne

Dies
18th April 2007, 03:18 AM
http://lunapark6.com/fedora-core-6-review.html

Nice blog, I doubt he needs any help with multimedia anymore. ;)
I'm just assuming it's the same guy though.

merlinv12
18th April 2007, 04:36 AM
I'm not very good at details such as dates