PDA

View Full Version : fedora 16 wireless not detecting

aryan110
8th March 2012, 09:02 AM
http://www.howopensource.com/2011/08/install-broadcom-wireless-802-11-driver-in-fedora-15-14/#comment-7690

fedora 16 (3.2.9-1.fc16.x86_64)

after refering to the above site i had installed wireless.

the new problem I am facing is, till last night everything was working fine. i was able to access net through wireless. today morning i don't know what went wrong. on the right hand side corner we can see the network symbol. till last night it was showing 3 options wired, wireless and network settings. but today its showing only 2 options. wired and network settings. wireless is missing. am not able to connect through wireless. i reinstalled the command mentioned above link but still its not working.

can anyone suggest me solution? (one more IMPORTANT note : last time when i had typed uname -r in the command terminal it showed 3.2.5-1.fc16.x86_64 and this time its showing 3.2.9-1.fc16.x86_64. what is happening. am i facing the wireless problem because of that? i didn't update anything past 1 month or so.)

glennzo
8th March 2012, 09:51 AM
If you followed that tutorial then you installed the module for the current (at the time) kernel. Seems that now you've updated the kernel you may need to install the kmod-wl module again. If you boot into the older kernel does wireless start working again? It appears that the module version needs to match the kernel version.

aryan110
8th March 2012, 02:46 PM
thanku. but as i had mentioned above i didn't update past many days. if that would have been the case then last night i should have had faced the same problem, which i didn't. today i gave the software update option then restarted the system. once again the wireless option has been restored.

if i look the other way round, it seems like whatever you have said makes sense. more over while booting it will show 3.2.9. 3.2.7, 3.2.6 and there is no recovery mode option its showing. i was queit surprised. without updating how did that happen?

but anyways thanx for your help.