PDA

View Full Version : yum kernel update for FC3 - smp??

stonecrest
23rd November 2004, 05:19 AM
Okay, time to show my newbieness. I ran yum list update today and there was a kernel update (2.6.9-1.681_FC3). So I chose to install it and it said the kernel had three dependencies (kernel-debuginfo.i686, kernel-doc.noarch, and kernel-smp.i686). I said ok, do whatever you have to do to update the kernel

Now when I boot up, grub is listing two options: both a normal kernel and a smp kernel. I chose the normal one because I have no idea what that is, which one should I choose? And why did yum download two kernels for me?

imdeemvp
23rd November 2004, 05:21 AM
do you have a dual processor pc?

stonecrest
23rd November 2004, 05:23 AM
No I don't.. I'm on a Compaq Presario 2100. Why?

pbtpu40
23rd November 2004, 05:26 AM
I have no clue why yum installed a second kernel either. Some specs about your system would be nice, but what I say here should explain which kernel to boot.
SMP is for Symmetric Multiprocessing, this is needed so multiproccesor machines can take advantage of having two processors with out having both processors accessing critical structures and bringing the system to a crashing halt. This is also needed if you are using hyperthreading on your system.
The other kernel type is for single processor systems. If you try to run SMP on a single processor system you get a huge amount of resources wasted as it emulates the two processors on the single processor.
Hope this helps you understand what the difference in the kernels are. If you would like to get rid of the grub line during boot up to prevent confusion edit /boot/grub/grub.conf and remove the lines pertaining to the SMP kernel.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

stonecrest
23rd November 2004, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the very informative (and quick) posts! I don't understand why yum downloaded both kernels either but it seems apparent that I don't need the smp one then (I didn't have it before either).

I appreciate the help :) Hopefully I can help others as I continue to learn more about linux.

Scott

imdeemvp
23rd November 2004, 05:32 AM
or you can remove it: rpm -e kernel-smp.i686