PDA

View Full Version : gnome 3 message tray and full screen gaming

g2nightmare
7th March 2012, 07:20 AM
I'm using gnome 3 on fedora 16 64 bit.

I play Starcraft 2 using crossover games and wine.

Placing the mouse in the top left corner doesn't trigger the activities hot corner, but placing the mouse in the top right corner brings up the message tray that shows notifications.

How can I fix this for full screen gaming? Is there a way I can remove it completely and place my icons on the top bar instead?

scheme
7th March 2012, 03:24 PM
This can be done with an extension. You could look at extensions.gnome.org (https://extensions.gnome.org/) (there is no search functionality, sadly). When you visit it with Firefox, you can install extensions directly from the page.

On Linux Mint there is an extension with this behaviour preinstalled, so it should also be part of Cinnamon on Fedora.

g2nightmare
7th March 2012, 10:26 PM
This can be done with an extension. You could look at extensions.gnome.org (https://extensions.gnome.org/) (there is no search functionality, sadly). When you visit it with Firefox, you can install extensions directly from the page.

On Linux Mint there is an extension with this behaviour preinstalled, so it should also be part of Cinnamon on Fedora.

What is it called?

I've looked through all of them and I can't find anything that removes the system tray.

MrMarcus
8th March 2012, 12:20 PM
I have no experience with crossover games.
Nevertheless if there is a winecfg, go to the graphics tab and make sure the following is thicked on:

[X] Automatically capture mouse

g2nightmare
8th March 2012, 09:24 PM
I have no experience with crossover games.
Nevertheless if there is a winecfg, go to the graphics tab and make sure the following is thicked on:

[X] Automatically capture mouse

This still hasn't solved the problem..

D:

Is there a way to move the message tray corner to the activities corner? In other words, if I mouse to the bottom right, nothing happens, and if I mouse to the top left, the activities AND message tray happen?

schotty
10th March 2012, 01:43 PM
I am at work, on a crummy windows XP rig, but I do use CX alot to play games. I will look to see what I did, but one thing I have used on ALOT of my bottles' configs was virtual desktops of the exact dimension of my monitor. This prevented crashiness with alt-tabbing from said game, to Teamspeak or Chrome.

Try that, when I do get home from work, I can try it out, as I have been meaning to install SCII for some time now, just too busy with STO and EVE. MMOs, draining all my game time :D

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

OK, at home and in Crossover right now (10.3, haven't updated to XI yet).

The lower bar (the one with the status tray) will show up when I am ingame and mouse into the lower right hand corner. The upper bar is not present unless I alt-tab or windows key myself out.

Now you got me thinking how to stop that. I might end up asking Codeweavers this very question myself.

g2nightmare
12th March 2012, 03:21 AM
I am at work, on a crummy windows XP rig, but I do use CX alot to play games. I will look to see what I did, but one thing I have used on ALOT of my bottles' configs was virtual desktops of the exact dimension of my monitor. This prevented crashiness with alt-tabbing from said game, to Teamspeak or Chrome.

Try that, when I do get home from work, I can try it out, as I have been meaning to install SCII for some time now, just too busy with STO and EVE. MMOs, draining all my game time :D

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

OK, at home and in Crossover right now (10.3, haven't updated to XI yet).

The lower bar (the one with the status tray) will show up when I am ingame and mouse into the lower right hand corner. The upper bar is not present unless I alt-tab or windows key myself out.

Now you got me thinking how to stop that. I might end up asking Codeweavers this very question myself.

I took the liberty into making a gnome extension that disables the corner alltogether. Its awaiting approval on the gnome extensions website.