PDA

View Full Version : F16 Freezing on boot

wmorri
28th February 2012, 08:54 PM
Hi,

I have looked all over for an answer but I can't find a fix. I haven't been able to get my F16 install to boot completely. I am running the kernel 3.2.2-1.fc16.i686. I am getting to the point where it tries to start the Sendmail Mail Transport Agent, and it just freezes. I am not sure what to do at this point. The only option I have is to boot into windows to post. I am looking for some help so that I can get Fedora working again. I would prefer not to do a full re-install.

Thanks

SteveGYBE
28th February 2012, 09:01 PM
If you have akmod-nvidia installed for an nVidia graphics card, it seems par for the course at the moment. If you do <Ctrl><Alt><Del> to reboot at this point does it succeed in booting next time round?

wmorri
28th February 2012, 09:28 PM
Hi,

I haven't installed akmod-nvidia as far as I know, I am just running nouveau. I have tried doing <Ctrl><Alt><Del>, and I get the same problem.

zeth2571
4th March 2012, 10:54 PM
i'm having the same problem, I just installed the nvidia drivers and I can't boot my system now. It hangs at the same spot.

Does anyone know what I can do?

isadora
12th March 2012, 12:34 PM
Same here, and i don't know how to get into into failsafe without an option in GRUB2.

Fenrin
12th March 2012, 12:41 PM
doesn't it work to boot the older kernel? Then uninstall akmod-nvidia. I'm really not sure if this works. I don't use a Nvidia card.

Under Fedora 15 the boot label "3" or "nomodeset" helped a lot, but I think this changed possibly in Fedora 16.

isadora
12th March 2012, 05:07 PM
The older kernels available boot into the same issues.
Have made it possible to boot into failsafe now, but actually would like to boot into "nonfb"-stanza. So i have my network-settings configured.

nat_g
12th March 2012, 05:26 PM
I'm also having a freezinng on first boot problem. I have installed the 64-bit full version on a solid state drive. After a sussful installation the computer just sits there with a cursor flashing in the upper left corner of the screen. I can boot the computer from the Fedora 16 Live CD and it will boot, I am using it now to create this post. When booting the Live from the CD, I get the "GNOME 3 Failed to Load ... started in fallback mode ..." error though. I'm not sure if I'm having a video card error or a boot problem. The computer has a fairly new graphics card with an nVIDIA GT520 GPU on it. I can mount the SSD partition here in Live, but I'm not sure what I should look for. Can someone please help.

bovedder
12th March 2012, 10:43 PM
I have same issue on my desktop, but i've installed thye nvidia drivers. In older kernel version happens same, but after update new driver it soves issue. Unfortunately nvidia hasn't update, so I have to run older kernel. In other desktops I haven't install nvidia drivers and no problem with startup, i'll test remove this.