PDA

View Full Version : keyboard "extendeer"?

leonardevens
26th February 2012, 06:19 PM
This is the wrong forum to ask this question, but I can't think of a better one, so let me describe my problem.

Three years ago I found an HP Pavillion Slimline at a very good price at Offfice Depot, so I bought it and turned it into a secondary machine. It has come in very handy, so all told, buying it was a good idea.

The problem is that I don't have a good place to put it. Where it is now, I can't get my knees under the keyboard, so it is awkward to type. It is particularly a problem now because I am recovering from spinal fusion surgery.

I need some way to extend some sort of platform towrds me so I can get my legs at least part way under it. The usual keyboard extenders won't work because there is no way to attach it to my desktop.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

glennzo
26th February 2012, 06:44 PM
Do you need physical access to the machine? SSH works wonderfully.

cazo
26th February 2012, 07:12 PM
You could try a wireless keyboard (& mouse). The one's I've looked at have a small receiver that plugs in to a USB port.

leonardevens
26th February 2012, 08:19 PM
You could try a wireless keyboard (& mouse). The one's I've looked at have a small receiver that plugs in to a USB port.

That isn't the problem. Although the keyvbard is wired, I can in fact put in my lap. Unfortunately, I've never been able to use a keyboard in my lap. I guess if I got a board to put in my lap with the keyboard on it, that might work. I don't think I can do it that way, but it may be worth a try.

cazo
26th February 2012, 08:26 PM
It sounds like you need something like a 'hospital bed table' (the stand rolls under one side of the bed, with the top that rests across your lap).

http://lh5.googleusercontent.com/public/LmT8jWgLFqRqtFw79ZhtZmvXOjoZ3NbX0fWpTQu8be2IyVvMaf evlr20ZRBUlzTQAWg0tgiSwcC2TrPhZKI-esBANJWXK-hLgzFcbAPn1NJyTfNsCwIjBt21Smytev-yj9cb3Jyi_lkkVChhbo-CFvu-fuFeIuU9luVyUPLTc2W0NgQySVz2_73LniGMrdslCEHAYIp3qP V7nOUD4U9M7hyURR5lrjXcJqH728rdPVG1P22A_3xJjPegjWZw K_tJ4fDOxRNs9NKrit6TJFWwiGnTkIeAPXc9387c3MqcESQd-CBW=s90-c

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/public/rh4C7sE6phI41pPCTgQgA4xgCvUmMtynft2gc1g5l-90A30QSMaTn3v9HbHSECXUfXZ99cTV1-iqBU9TYjzKXO7jrilIniB4Ent-IP78l0sgtlAdlJtQyzutdLtwU7iRs1BJOGZkN2W4U_wcbdhNA4 L1guMPalm4dr1TcuFygnCmbD8RCw=s90-c

I've seen something similar, for laptop computers.

(I guess I should have googled "HP Pavilion Slimline" first)

John the train
26th February 2012, 09:40 PM
That isn't the problem. Although the keyvbard is wired, I can in fact put in my lap. Unfortunately, I've never been able to use a keyboard in my lap. I guess if I got a board to put in my lap with the keyboard on it, that might work. I don't think I can do it that way, but it may be worth a try.

I've seen a product sold as a ' laptop cushion ' which is basically a board backed by a beanbag, so it forms a flat surface which sits stabley on your knees. The one I saw was in a discount store, so it might be worth keeping your eyes open when shopping.