PDA

View Full Version : Help Creating Spin - Need Additional Customization

ericl42
22nd February 2012, 06:29 PM
I would like to create a custom Fedora ISO. I have looked into using a few tools such as revisor, clonesys, etc. but haven't had much luck yet. Below are the general steps I've used when using bootcdwrite on Debian and was hoping their is a similar process for Fedora.

1. Install Fedora
2. Install new packages, change some files, modify iptables, etc.
3. Run a program to copy the running image into a bootable ISO.
4. Be able to boot the new ISO and act like it's a new setup (ask for DHCP info, password info, etc.) but once that is done, it will have all of my custom files and configurations.

Everything I've read as far as spins goes, you can only really customize what packages are installed. I want to take this level of customization a little higher but I'm not sure how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Colors
22nd February 2012, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure if that is what you've asked but here is what you need:

1. Install livecd-tools
# yum install livecd-tools

2. Create a kickstart configuration file i.e. f16.cfg. You can do that with system-config-kickstart
# yum install system-config-kickstart

3. Create the image
# livecd-creator --config /home/your_name/f16.cfg --cache=/home/your_name/16/i686/ --fslabel=f16

The iso image will be in /root.

4. Write iso image on DVD or USB Stick
(use DVD ReWritable)
# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=f16.iso

or

# livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr --noverify --overlay-size-mb 512 --unencrypted-home --home-size-mb 2160 f16.iso /dev/sdb

This from above is an example

For USB you CAN have a persistent /home/your_name and customised settings. In the example 512 MB will be used for system (critical update, install new packages) and the rest is for your home. Check the letter of your usb stick.

5. Boot from DVD (USB Stick), enter into your /home/your_name/Desktop and run the installation script.

ericl42
22nd February 2012, 09:01 PM
Thank you for that information. So basically with "--cache=/home/your_name/16/i686/" portion of the command your saying to copy that section of the current running machine to the ISO?

What would I do if I wanted some of the following files?

- /etc/sysconfig/iptables
- /etc/rsyslog.conf
- /etc/rc.local
- Specific applications to start on run time, etc

sea
22nd February 2012, 11:33 PM
You could also do an install onto any usb-stick that allows an OS to be installed (size).
Just ignore the boot menu entries, as only the first one will boot onto the usb.

As another theoretical idea, i know there are filemanagers that alow to edit iso files.
Have no idea what their names might be, edit the iso file and replace existing files with modified ones, previous to burning them on cd/dvd.

Colors
23rd February 2012, 08:36 AM
I would like to create a custom Fedora ISO. I have looked into using a few tools such as revisor, clonesys, etc. but haven't had much luck yet. Below are the general steps I've used when using bootcdwrite on Debian and was hoping their is a similar process for Fedora.

1. Install Fedora
2. Install new packages, change some files, modify iptables, etc.
3. Run a program to copy the running image into a bootable ISO.
4. Be able to boot the new ISO and act like it's a new setup (ask for DHCP info, password info, etc.) but once that is done, it will have all of my custom files and configurations.

Everything I've read as far as spins goes, you can only really customize what packages are installed. I want to take this level of customization a little higher but I'm not sure how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is not the same way i wrote especially to this point: "3. Run a program to copy the running image into a bootable ISO."

For 2. respective 3. demads you must configure the kickstart configuration file (read manpages).

livecd-creator will download and create iso according with your kickstart configuration file. The --cache switch is for saving the downloaded packages to your home directory thus you will save time and internet band to fine tune your kickstart configration file.

If you manage to create a live and stable iso image then you can run a live session or install from it to hard drive.