PDA

View Full Version : Problems compiling kernel module

hunnr
22nd November 2004, 05:26 PM
I'm having a problem trying to compile a kernel module for FC3 (2.6.9-1.667). I've installed the kernel sources (yes, for the right version of the kernel), and I build the kernel and modules (make menuconfig, make)... once complete, I'm unable to actually load any of the modules I just built:

[root@nix linux-2.6.9-1.667]# insmod drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx.ko
insmod: error inserting 'drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic79xx.ko': -1 Unknown symbol in module

This problem persists for any other modules that I try and load. The kernel config that I am using is the one from /boot/config-2.6.9-1.667.

Can anyone help me figure out whats wrong here? This is a plain i386 installation of FC3 with no updates applied yet.

bhanson
22nd November 2004, 06:40 PM
There are instructions in the release notes about FC3 and kernel sources that might be the issue.

hunnr
22nd November 2004, 07:13 PM
I'm not sure I follow... I checked the release notes, and the only related "issue" that I see is the retrieval of the source code -- I've already got it all downloaded and building successfully. Its just the fact that the compiled modules will never load.

I'm attempt to use the alternative method they mention for just building modules without the entire source tree, but that's proving to be a pain as well.

Any other thoughts, or did I miss something?

deuch
22nd November 2004, 07:17 PM
try modprobe aic79xx.ko instead of insmod (directly with the name of the drivers without the path)

do you check that the module was compiled in /lib/modules/your_kernel/build/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/ ???

deuch

hunnr
22nd November 2004, 07:20 PM
Alright, I also followed the "alternative" build instructions that didn't require the entire source tree, but my results were exactly the same ('Unknown symbol in module').... >:o

Help?!

hunnr
22nd November 2004, 07:22 PM
deuch: that wasn't working before, but it appears as though it may be now with my most recent "alternative" build... let me run a reboot (I'm trying to create a driver disk ultimately here) and see if that works.... will report back.

hunnr
22nd November 2004, 08:23 PM
alright... that seemed to work. thanks

frozzen
17th December 2004, 12:31 PM
the problem is that kernel is compiled with 3.3.2 and currenmt gcc has 3.4.2 version. where to get correct gcc?