PDA

View Full Version : How do I copy of move a file using the mouse under Gnome 3?

leonardevens
19th February 2012, 02:31 AM
I recently installed Fedora 15 on a secondary machine and I am using it to try to master gnome 3.

Under previous versions of the gnome desktop, I could open file windows showing different directories in a workspace and, using the mouse, I could copy or move a file from one directory to the other.

I can't see how to do this under gnome 3. I can open the first directory and find the file I am interested in, and click on copy after right clicking on the file. I can then open the second directory and right click and choose paste.

That seems to work but it seems needlessly complex compared to doing it in one step with the mouse.

With some difficulty I can get two copies of nautilus open in one work space, but I can't see how to use the mouse to move or copy a file from one to the other.

Am I missing something?

DBelton
19th February 2012, 04:04 AM
If you have 2 windows of nautilus open, then dragging and dropping between windows works the same as it always did.

The thing is, if you drag and drop between folders on the same filesystem, it moves the file. If you drag and drop between folders on different filesystems, then it copies the file.

It's really not hard to open a new nautilus window, either. You can either right click the File Manager icon and select "New Window" or in your open nautilus window hit "Ctrl+N" (Or go to the "FIle" Menu and select "New Window"

Gareth Jones
19th February 2012, 06:09 PM
The thing is, if you drag and drop between folders on the same filesystem, it moves the file. If you drag and drop between folders on different filesystems, then it copies the file.

You can middle-drag to show a pop-up menu with options to choose between move, copy and symlink.

But yes, copying Nautilus-to-Nautilus should work as it always has.

Gareth

Cygnia
19th February 2012, 09:50 PM
Also, note that pressing F3 splits the nautilus window into two panes, so you don't need another window open unless you prefer it that way.

leonardevens
19th February 2012, 10:20 PM
Also, note that pressing F3 splits the nautilus window into two panes, so you don't need another window open unless you prefer it that way.

I tried that and nothing happened. Perhaps I don't understand what you are saying.

kurtdriver
19th February 2012, 10:24 PM
Under previous versions of the gnome desktop, I could open file windows showing different directories in a workspace and, using the mouse, I could copy or move a file from one directory to the other.
Am I missing something?

If you open, in a Nautilus window, Edit->Preferences->Behaviour and then check off "Open each folder in it's own window", it'll do just that.

Cygnia
19th February 2012, 10:34 PM
I tried that and nothing happened. Perhaps I don't understand what you are saying.

That's strange. How about choosing View > Extra Pane, which is the menu equivalent to pressing F3. It works great here, so I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

kurtdriver
19th February 2012, 10:43 PM
Another way of getting two windows is to select a directory and right click-> "Open in new window."

leonardevens
19th February 2012, 10:50 PM
That's strange. How about choosing View > Extra Pane, which is the menu equivalent to pressing F3. It works great here, so I'm not sure why it's not working for you.

Sorry. When I have Nautilus loaded in a workspace, then F3 or View>Extra Pane does do what you say.

My problem is that I am so confused about gnome3 that I get mixed up about what is active at any given point.

Your suggestion provides an answer to my immediate question, and it also gives me a better understanding of just what gnome 3 is doing and how it is related to previous versions of gnome.

When I get all this straight, it will help me a lot. So thank you for your response.