PDA

View Full Version : Executing JDK installation program

rfk
22nd November 2004, 03:56 PM
Hi:
I downloaded Sun JDK for linux and, following Sun's installation steps, I open a terminal window, then execute the program:

./jdk-1_5_0-nb-4_0-beta2-bin-linux.bin
InstallationShield Wizard
Initializing InstallShield Wizard...
Preparing Java(tm) Virtual Machine...
...The installer is unable to run in graphical mode. Try running the installer with the -console flag
:mad:
when I try that it tells me invalid command.

So how do I get this program to run?

Any advice is appreciated.
- Rolf.

crackers
22nd November 2004, 06:55 PM
It told you exactly what to do:

./jdk-1_5_0-nb-4_0-beta2-bin-linux.bin -console

rfk
22nd November 2004, 07:50 PM
right!

Like I said in the 1st post, when I try the -console switch the program executes for a little while, then states that:

The wizard cannot continue because of the follwoing error: Invalid command line option: console

crackers
22nd November 2004, 09:30 PM
Oh, sorry - I was only on my first cup of coffee.

Well, in that case, I'd recommend getting the tarball and installing that instead. And are you sure you want the "combo" pack (the package you've selected has the NetBeans 4.0Beta2 included)? While they've made some very large improvements to NB, I'm still not enamored of it.

However, I'm curious why the installer barfed on the graphical install - are you running X? You might want to log out and login at the UI as "root" and install the package that way...

rfk
22nd November 2004, 10:05 PM
yes, I tried that....kinda gave up on installing the "combo" package.

I just downloaded the 1.4 file and installed it just fine. Then I downloaded JUST the NB package and got the same error. So it's something with NB.

Since you don't think too highly of NB, what IDE would you recommend?

crackers
23rd November 2004, 01:07 AM
Eclipse (http://eclipse.org) has a lot more "stuff" right out of the box, and there's more plugins than you can count to enhance it however you like (http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/eclipse/index.jsp). The only "problem" is the choices of UI on Linux are limited to MOTIF (yuck) or GTK (I'm KDE-biased) and it doesn't support Java 5 - yet (3.1 will, but it's still in development).