PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Gnome3 Appearance

griffinmt
17th February 2012, 11:03 PM
Just had a strange thing happen to me.
I have 3 F16 systems running and when I built them, they all 'fell back' to Gnome2. I didn't spend any time to sort this out and just left it. Today I had to rebuild one of those systems (Dell 4400) from DVD, but this time, instead of selecting the base as 'Desktop System', I selected 'Minimal system', then told it to add in Gnome Desktop, X windows, and a bunch of admin and network support tools. This only loaded in about 1200 packages instead of over 1400.
To my surprise, after rebooting, it did not complain about running Gnome3 and came up with the altered interface. So far I don't like it, but thats another discussion.
So, it seems that the default Desktop build comes up missing something, but manually selecting it during the build then makes it work. Maybe this is old news, but I just found it out. Did some searching and found the major 'switch' is by removing or installing Gnome-Shell.
This was an awkward time for me to figure it all out, so it has been temp. removed. Couldn't even find a way to tell it to shutdown for a reboot, so I did a 'shutdown' from the terminal window.

LinuxNerd
17th February 2012, 11:06 PM
Your hardware isn't quite up to the task of handling Gnome 3 maybe?

jpollard
17th February 2012, 11:21 PM
It is also possible that some of the updates done after the install now support the hardware better.

This is supposed to be happening, but it still depends on what the hardware is.

Chilly Willy
18th February 2012, 07:27 AM
The way I understand it, if the shell runs into ANYTHING that it doesn't like, then it will fall back.

When I go to evaluate a new release, I get the liveCD & run it first. All worked well from it, but when I did an install, from that very CD, it puked & fell back. But after a bit of tweaking (I don't recall what) & a couple of reboots, it hasn't fallen back since. So to me, the "trick" is to get rid of what it DOESN'T LIKE, but that is easier said than done. & that may explain why your smaller install actually worked!