PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] A F16/Openbox/Wallpaper/transparency Issue

PabloTwo
13th February 2012, 06:25 PM
In F12 I used XFCE/Openbox (mostly Openbox) with no issues. This past weekend I got around to setting up Openbox on my F16/XFCE install pretty much the same as on F12. My setup:

openbox-3.5.0-3.fc16.x86_64
obconf-2.0.3-8.20100212gitb04658.fc16.x86_64
tint2-0.11-4.fc16.x86_64
lxappearance-0.5.0-2.fc15.x86_64 (used to change gtk themes)
xcompmgr-1.1.5-2.fc15.x86_64 (compositing manager with real transparency)
conky-1.8.1-2.fc15.x86_64
wbar-2.2.2.tar.gz (Icon based application launcher)
Maato-volumeicon-0.4.6-0-gb5a51e9.tar.gz (Volume control icon in the sys tray)

Since I like having transparency in the tint2 panel, conky and Terminal I generally use a somewhat monotone and dark background desktop wallpaper. I have set my GDM login background image to something other than "Verne.png" (uhhgly), which is just fine and dandy for the login screen.

When I log into Openbox, I still have the same GDM logon screen background image, even though I have "loaded" a different image for my desktop wallpaper. The GDM wallpaper is too bright and busy for good contrast with the Terminal fonts and, especially, the conky disiplay. if I kill the pid of xcompmgr, which is providing real transparency, my selected dark background image appears, mostly, except in the tint2 panel, conky and Terminal, which is still showing the GDM wallpaper background.

Launching Openbox with xcompmgr inactive (not executed) still doesn't do anything to remedy the problem (I'm still seeing the GDM wallpaper as the background in the panel, conky and Terminal while the rest of the "desktop" is displaying my selected wallpaper. My temporary fix is to use xcompmgr active, live with the GDM wallpaper background image but turn transparency off in conky (now plain black bg) and set a transparency opacity level in Terminal that is dark enough to see the fonts easily.

My Google Foo has not found a solution on the internet. I can't figure out how to "kill" the GDM background image on the system when/after Openbox loads, or how to make my chosen desktop background wallpaper, which is loaded and active, appear as the "image" with real transparency turned on. Looking for advice, clues, suggestions or outright fixes.

Priority Level: Low

Paul

sea
13th February 2012, 07:49 PM
Hmm havent played enough with 'plain' OpenBox.
However, figured simliar issues when used lxpanel with e16, or lxpanel with xfce.
Allthough the issue then was simple to have had lxpanel showed the wallpaper of VirtualDesktop 1, the issue with GDM is new to me.

But since you use tint2, idk :(
Is it that much better than lxpanel? (which i prefer over xfce panel)

As idea / thought... You might need make tint2 to read the wallpaper setting from pcmanfm (libfm) somehow.

PabloTwo
13th February 2012, 08:40 PM
But since you use tint2, idk
Is it that much better than lxpanel? (which i prefer over xfce panel)
I have not used lxpanel, so I can't answer that.

As idea / thought... You might need make tint2 to read the wallpaper setting from pcmanfm (libfm) somehow
tint2 doesn't do wallpaper things, it only can set it's own panel color/opacity/transparency levels. It also doesn't "read" any info from other applications. I don't use or have installed pcmanfm. I manage files from the terminal. If I would need a GUI file manager for some reason, i can invoke Thunar.

I load my "preferred" desktop wallpaper image from the openbox autostart file, using xloadimage (xsetbg) to load it to the root X server screen. It's there, I just can't see it with real transparency enabled. It's as though there are two layers of images on the X server screen, the GDM background image I set and the background image I load with xloadimage. It's puzzling me. I think it's more of an "X" issue actually.

To be clear, I am not using Openbox as a WM in XFCE, I'm running pure Openbox, with the addons I listed. But thank you for your thoughts.

sea
13th February 2012, 08:57 PM
Yea got that, i just stated i've never used it as plain as you do ;)

DBelton has posted something with the GDM background, though, i guess you either done so already, or thats not the cause for your issue...
Have a look at: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpost.php?p=1554707&postcount=10

Just another idea, have you tried another login manager instead?
Like slim or lxdm? Or is the GDM your absolute favorite?

PabloTwo
13th February 2012, 09:03 PM
Just another idea, have you tried another login manager instead?
Like slim or lxdm? Or is the GDM your absolute favorite?
No, I haven't. And frankly, I'm not inclined to try another one just to attempt to fix this rather minor annoyance.

sea
13th February 2012, 09:22 PM
~/.config/tint2/tint2rc

taskbar_active_background_id = 0
Its not that wich makes it transparent?
But didnt found anything better to try.

How would i make tint2 transparent?
I'm trying to reproduce the 'error' you have.

EDIT:
Funny or strange... :D

xloadimage -onroot -fullscreen -quiet $HOME/Pictures/wallpapers/nasa/fav/sombrero_hst_3215.jpg
xcompmgr
no bg anymore

Also the other way around, there is no longer the background image seen, that was loaded with xloadimage.
However, as soon xcompmgr is stoped, the background image returns.

PabloTwo
13th February 2012, 09:49 PM
taskbar_active_background_id = 0

No, that selects which configuration to use that is setup in the config file. You could have more than one config for that item, and select which to use by it's id number... 0, 1, 2, etc.

background_color = #000000 10

The format above is: = COLOR OPACITY

OPACITY is how much transparency to use (0 for full transparency, 100 for no transparency).
For [i]real[/] transparency, you need to have a compositing manager that provides that. xcompmgr does that for me in OpenBox. Otherwise, it will just use fake transparency.

If you want to play with tint2, you'll need to read the docs for it online (http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure).

And this:

BASH:~/-> grep transparency .config/tint2/tint2rc
real_transparency = 0

sea
13th February 2012, 09:52 PM
Hmm yeah, but is your background image still shown when you start (well after its started) xcompmgr?
On the other hand, i just found this article: http://wiki.debian.org/Openbox#Setting_your_background_image_with_feh
If it solves it (to your taste), its kinda handy as feh is in the fedora repos too with an MIT lisence.

EDIT:
Figured the 'fake' transparency thing previous to post, but i'll have a read on the docs, gotta say, its rather fancy and small :)

PabloTwo
13th February 2012, 09:57 PM
feh is just being used to load a background image. xloadimage does the same thing. xsetroot can do that also, but appears to be limited to bitmapped image file formats.

Duplode
13th February 2012, 11:19 PM
The issue here seems to be with xloadimage. Here I have a openbox/tint2/xcompmgr setup similar to yours, only with kdm instead of gdm. Setting the background with feh works fine, but switching my autostart to use xloadimage reproduces your bug.

PabloTwo
14th February 2012, 01:37 AM
The issue here seems to be with xloadimage. Here I have a openbox/tint2/xcompmgr setup similar to yours, only with kdm instead of gdm. Setting the background with feh works fine, but switching my autostart to use xloadimage reproduces your bug.

I guess I'm going to have to give feh a shot then. I've also set the desktop background image using ImageMagick, but it doesn't produce results any different than xloadimage does.

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

OK... feh is installed and tested. I don't know what feh does different, but it's working to get the desktop background image I'm setting with it. Tried it first from the command line. Everything but wbar saw the new background image immediately. Then I replaced the xsetbg line in the openbox autostart file with the feh line and logged out and back on. Again, everything but wbar was showing the feh loaded bg image through the transparency, which had grabbed the GDM image. Righ-clicking wbar restarts it, and doing so it grabbed the current desktop background image.

Wbar doesn't use real transparency, it just grabs an image of the "current" desktop image when it loads. I had removed all my previous (F12) execute "delays" in the autostart file, but it looks like wbar is going to need one.

Thanks

rogvi
14th February 2012, 01:33 PM
You do not mention add-ons for your GDM. Unfortunately I can't recall the menu and names, but if you have installed the 'retro overlay' on Gnome3 they do override Openbox settings.
The 'Advanced' settings in System Settings you have to leave off when leaving Gnome.

I find Openbox and Gnome/Openbox interesting. It even supplements Gnome2.
Openbox is actually the only alternative to Gnome with everything displayed. The stressless black screen or background of your choice and nothing else.
Obmenu is easy to configure and copied to another computer. I use both Nautilus, Thunar and gThumb. Shortcuts for applications, fav. radiostations etc. Even gnome-panel if I get lost. I found Avant refreshing. This was however till F14 :(
But Openbox is still Openbox :)