PDA

View Full Version : Installing RPM are so slow?

Eyjay1991
13th February 2012, 11:19 AM
I dont know with other distro but my speed is not much too, just 90kbps download. But i'm downloading at like 1kb-10kb. It's too slow, is this the way linux install stuffs? is there other way to download and install? liike in windows where you could use a download manager to download the installer. So sorry if this is kinda stupid. Hope you can resolved my issue.

tox
13th February 2012, 11:32 AM
I dont know with other distro but my speed is not much too, just 90kbps download. But i'm downloading at like 1kb-10kb. It's too slow, is this the way linux install stuffs? is there other way to download and install? like in windows where you could use a download manager to download the installer. So sorry if this is kinda stupid. Hope you can resolved my issue. would be helpful if you told us what country your in, slow downloads can depend on Mirrors your downloading from. what Internet speed do you have? are you on DialUp or Broadband ?

Microsoft you only get updates or ISO images from 1 Mirror AFAIK which can result in dog slow speeds.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

ok im assuming you in the Oton, Iloilo, Philippines which i dont think there internet there in that country is all that great

Eyjay1991
13th February 2012, 11:38 AM
Even though we are just a 3rd World Country, the Internet in the Philippines is still sufficient. We are at 768 Kbps DSL Connection, yes, its slow compare to yours, but using windows i still get 90kbps worth of download speed. I'm not talking about WINDOWS UPDATE, i'm talking about the way LINUX install programs. I'm not differentiating things from LINUX and WINDOWS. My point is, why is that its too slow, yes i know about the mirrors. Example right now, i can't install FLASH because there are no MIRRORS, unlike WINDOWS, there are lots of MIRRORS, sites where you can download. I'm just asking maybe if there is an alternative.

gasdim
13th February 2012, 01:13 PM
try to disable IPv6 first!

sea
13th February 2012, 01:24 PM
Maybe you just had a bad day to download.
I'm living in switzerland, which, as i guess, is pretty technical leading, and sometimes i'm downloading at 10-50kb (bad mirror) too, compared to 2-3 mb which matches our ~ 25'000 connection.

Also, the less connections are todwards your country, the higher chances to get a bottle neck if many people are downloading / updating things in that area at the same (peek) time. Regardless of the OS one is using.

Another thing that many forget, the providers often tells you BIT's, while the connection speed is in byte, thats an 8 factor.
768/8=96, which seems pretty fitting to me ;)

Hope this helps

EDIT3:
PS: i'd love to get a sinigang now :D (hope its written correct)

Eyjay1991
14th February 2012, 02:27 AM
I would love to try out Fedora Again. Ok, i hope this time it wont be like snail. But if this the case, Fedora isnt good in Asian Countries then? :/. Yes i know about the DSL thing. 768 is not real speed.

Sinigang yes, there are many types of it. Have u been here?

nonamedotc
14th February 2012, 05:57 AM
I would love to try out Fedora Again. Ok, i hope this time it wont be like snail. But if this the case, Fedora isnt good in Asian Countries then? :/.

I wouldn't say so. I have used it in India without too much problems. I am tempted to say that internet speeds in India and Phiippines would be similar. :)

Eyjay1991
14th February 2012, 07:41 AM
I'm very sorry Fedora, but out of curiosity i tried Linux Mint 12. I have no problem whatsoever with the speed. Right now installing updates, my speed is on 90+ kbps, which is the speed that is normally im on. So thanks anyway. Fedora maybe just not for me. But i have nothing against it. Because its one of the greatest Linux Distro.

tox
14th February 2012, 09:14 AM
I'm very sorry Fedora, but out of curiosity i tried Linux Mint 12. I have no problem whatsoever with the speed. Right now installing updates, my speed is on 90+ kbps, which is the speed that is normally im on. So thanks anyway. Fedora maybe just not for me. But i have nothing against it. Because its one of the greatest Linux Distro.

RPM's or .DEBS make no difference to the speed. perhaps what you find faster is APT-GET. stick to Ubuntu or Mint if your happier with that.

Finalzone
14th February 2012, 09:27 AM
Curious. Which method did you use to install an rpm package? Yum or Packagekit frontend?